Biltmore House in HDR

The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
edited February 23, 2009 in Landscapes
The largest house in America - shot in December. Combined 7 photos (I think) in photomatix and then edited in CS3...

3221780644_9f257d4e54_b.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Good one interesting building
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Good one interesting building
    Largest home in America
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Who lives there ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited February 15, 2009
    Who lives there ?
    Used to be George Vanderbilt.
    Now, it's a tourist attraction.

www.biltmore.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 15, 2009
    Looks good! HDR panos are a lot of work and you did well. Now that you've got the technique down, go back and get a shot when it's closed without all the people and tour buses. deal.gif
    edited February 15, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Looks good! HDR panos are a lot of work and you did well. Now that you've got the technique down, go back and get a shot when it's closed without all the people and tour buses. deal.gif
    pano? it's one shot.
    i used different exposures.

I don't think it's possible w/ out special permission to go there when it's closed.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    very cool! I have a question, however. I've only tried HDR once before and there certainly wasn't anyone walking around in the shot. (not picking on that...actually that's what intrigues me) How do you manage to get 7 shots in a row, going from an exposure of a few steps under to a few steps over, and somehow keep the couple walking on the right not only in focus but frozen in the shutter? Again, not picking, just very puzzled about how this works. Awesome HDR!
    edited February 15, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    very cool! I have a question, however. I've only tried HDR once before and there certainly wasn't anyone walking around in the shot. (not picking on that...actually that's what intrigues me) How do you manage to get 7 shots in a row, going from an exposure of a few steps under to a few steps over, and somehow keep the couple walking on the right not only in focus but frozen in the shutter? Again, not picking, just very puzzled about how this works. Awesome HDR!
    Shot in RAW, changed the exposure and saved as.
    So you have different exposures from the one raw file.
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Awesome photo. Hate to pay the heating bill for this house.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited February 16, 2009
    Awesome photo. Hate to pay the heating bill for this house.
    I don't think they do, it was pretty chilly in there in December :)
    They had a few portable heaters around the 1st floor though
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Great shot!

I've been to the Biltmore 4 times....2 tours through the house, but mostly focused on their great winery. You're right about the heating....that place is darn cold in the winter. I'm sure they managed to keep it warm when it was actually a home. Aside from many other unique features, this was the first home in America to have " modern " plumbing features that are the forerunner of systems we enjoy today. It's quite a place.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Ditto on Biltmore Estate being a fascinating place. The history, design & technology is amazing. We visited several years ago over a long weekend. If you go, check out the "Behind the Scenes" tours they offer.

Also, though I've never tried myself, here's a link to another technique you can use to eliminate the crowds.....

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94588
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited February 16, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    Ditto on Biltmore Estate being a fascinating place. The history, design & technology is amazing. We visited several years ago over a long weekend. If you go, check out the "Behind the Scenes" tours they offer.

Also, though I've never tried myself, here's a link to another technique you can use to eliminate the crowds.....

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94588
    I actually like the people & buses, but, I'm also not great at photoshop
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    Shot in RAW, changed the exposure and saved as.
    So you have different exposures from the one raw file.

Gotcha! Thanks! thumb.gif
    edited February 16, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Gotcha! Thanks! thumb.gif
    No problem.
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    If you cropped out most of the grassy lawn, the house wouldn't be sprawled across the center of the pic and the cool sky patterns should more even more noticeable.

I'm impressed how well it came out. I've tried working from a single RAW shot, saving with different exposures...but the results weren't even close to shareable. Yours came out nice.
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thwack wrote:
    If you cropped out most of the grassy lawn, the house wouldn't be sprawled across the center of the pic and the cool sky patterns should more even more noticeable.

I'm impressed how well it came out. I've tried working from a single RAW shot, saving with different exposures...but the results weren't even close to shareable. Yours came out nice.
    Thanks! I thought about cropping out the grass, but I actually like it.
    I'll be going back in April for the festival of flowers, I'll be sure to have time to try to re-shoot w/ better color on the grass.
  • photographzphotographz Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    go back and get a shot when it's closed without all the people and tour buses. deal.gif

They don't allow commercial photography, so I'd bet they wouldn't be too keen on that:D

Nice pic. We were going to go there, but once we found out they don't allow commercial photography, we decided to go elsewhere in NC rather than spend the big bucks to get in. Looks like a nice place to visit though.
    edited February 23, 2009
    They don't allow commercial photography, so I'd bet they wouldn't be too keen on that:D

Nice pic. We were going to go there, but once we found out they don't allow commercial photography, we decided to go elsewhere in NC rather than spend the big bucks to get in. Looks like a nice place to visit though.
    They don't allow any photography inside the house, for a few reasons...

flash & I've heard it's haunted.
    plus it's valuable stuff, etc dunno.

It's worth it, especially for the wine tour & tasting, the farms and the barns, etc.