30W Light

NeuralLotusNeuralLotus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited February 17, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This is a photo of one of my lights that I use for artificial ligthing. It's a clip on light with a metal reflector around it, the kind used for construction and stuff, but it works pretty well. I also took some photos of the one that has a 70W bulb in it, but of all of the ones taken I like this one the best. The only post-processing done to this photo was adjusting the color balance, because the white point I was using wasn't perfect for this; I just used the incandescent setting. Well, I guess adding the watermark is also post-processing, so yeah, I did that too.

C+C welcome and appreciated, and don't be afraid to express your feelings as much as you want. If you think it sucks, say so. If you think it's the most amazing thing ever, say so. My last thread suffered from people not expressing their opinions completely, so I just want to open that up. And, yes, I know that in the Whipping Post that is how photos are critiqued, but I am not sure if this is of Whipping Post quality or not.

3281998561_875ec09699_b.jpg
Hmmmmm... blarrgh...

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Hey. :D I like this piece. At 1024 its a little wide to see it all at once. 800 wide works pretty good to see most things well here.

For me the light bulb can't be quickly made out to be one so that helps the image fall toward abstract nicely. The differences between the left and right side light reflections on the aluminum reflector add a real interesting visual feel that I am absolutely liking. The circular theme is uniform save for the heat vents around the bulb. Couldn't fairly say if the vent placement takes anything away or adds to it. Still for me my leaning is for total uniformity so the vents need to be equidistant. But that call is up to the creator. Left alone there is a 3D aspect seeping out a little. While hairs could be split in a number of directions with this effort depending on the viewer, I would say I very much like it.

A tune up in PP may be called for. I think more pop can be pulled out.

Is it good enough for the whipping post?
    Maybe. Its got to get past your whipping post first.

Abstracts may or may not be widely accepted depending on
    variables at times not so demanded in other forms of high impact / interest photography. Example. A beautiful horse well photographed can
    be easily admired well ahead of a something well photographed.

A few 2 cent thoughts. :D
    Michael
  • NeuralLotusNeuralLotus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Hey. :D I like this piece. At 1024 its a little wide to see it all at once. 800 wide works pretty good to see most things well here.

For me the light bulb can't be quickly made out to be one so that helps the image fall toward abstract nicely. The differences between the left and right side light reflections on the aluminum reflector add a real interesting visual feel that I am absolutely liking. The circular theme is uniform save for the heat vents around the bulb. Couldn't fairly say if the vent placement takes anything away or adds to it. Still for me my leaning is for total uniformity so the vents need to be equidistant. But that call is up to the creator. Left alone there is a 3D aspect seeping out a little. While hairs could be split in a number of directions with this effort depending on the viewer, I would say I very much like it.

A tune up in PP may be called for. I think more pop can be pulled out.

Is it good enough for the whipping post?
    Maybe. Its got to get past your whipping post first.

Abstracts may or may not be widely accepted depending on
    variables at times not so demanded in other forms of high impact / interest photography. Example. A beautiful horse well photographed can
    be easily admired well ahead of a something well photographed.

A few 2 cent thoughts. :D

O_O Wow. I wasn't expecting the first comment to be that extensive.

Well, anyway, when shooting I had intended to have the heat vents be equidistant in photo, but, as you can see, it didn't really work out. But, I am thinking that it might actually work better this way, giving it more of a 3D aspect than if they were equidistant. I also think that the area directly aroudn the bulb looks more interesting this way because of the contrast from side to side. But that effect might be preserved even if they are equidistant, but I don't think it would be preserved, but I guess I will see. I may reshoot it and try to make them equidistant and see which version is better, and then I can also experiment more with the white balance to try to give it more of a pop, instead of trying more post processing. Though I may mess with the post processing anyway just to try to get this photo looking better, probably depending on which version looks better before post processing.

Also, I agree that before posting it in the whipping post it is pretty much imperative that it get's past "my whipping post" first. But that is hard to do, since I am so hard on my own work. There are barely any photos I have made that I see as pretty good. Even the ones that probably are pretty good I think aren't very good at all. In some ways I guess it is good that I am so hard on my work, because it makes me strive to be better. But, at the same time, being so hard on myself makes it hard for me to actually want to actually make it available for viewing anywhere, which means that I will get less critique. Maybe I should work on being a bit less hard on my work, and instead strive to be better, while at the same time acknowledging my accomplishments.

Now, on from the end of the post, to the beginning of the post. I thought the largest version available on Flickr might be too large, but I tried posting it anyway. Perhaps it is just the settings I am using, but on my screen the only problem with the size is that the height is clipped by a few rows of pixels. I guess I'll try using a smaller size next time.

Anyway, on to what I probably should have done at the beginning of my reply, thank you for the critique, and especially thank you for such an extensive response to my post.
    Hmmmmm... blarrgh...
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Maybe I should work on being a bit less hard on my work, and instead strive to be better, while at the same time acknowledging my accomplishments.

I see you have given this image a lot of thought already.
    Apart from all you replied with I really concur with the above thoughtful comment readily as well. Soooo true to keep in mind as often as one can.

I know that sometimes we get so wrapped up in a particular photo effort that being objective becomes difficult and we need anothers input to reflect upon. So we must put it out there and see what comes back. Good thing there are places where we can get that very feedback.

Curious that I have been working on a couple images in a similar vein as yours just these last few days. Trying to pull a rabbit out of my hat with them. Probably they won't see the light of day as they just are not making it past my whipping post, but I wish they could. Unfortunately wishing just won't do it. :D Michael
    Michael
  • NeuralLotusNeuralLotus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    I see you have given this image a lot of thought already.
    Apart from all you replied with I really concur with the above thoughtful comment readily as well. Soooo true to keep in mind as often as one can.

I know that sometimes we get so wrapped up in a particular photo effort that being objective becomes difficult and we need anothers input to reflect upon. So we must put it out there and see what comes back. Good thing there are places where we can get that very feedback.

Curious that I have been working on a couple images in a similar vein as yours just these last few days. Trying to pull a rabbit out of my hat with them. Probably they won't see the light of day as they just are not making it past my whipping post, but I wish they could. Unfortunately wishing just won't do it. :D Michael

Hopefully your attempt produces what you are intending. Well, I wish you luck on your "hat trick", :P .
    Hmmmmm... blarrgh...