Options

Why the high speed?

nillaismydognillaismydog Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited May 24, 2005 in Accessories
I'm new to the whole digital photography thing and haven't bought my cf card yet. I've looked at the reviews and charts and stuff about what's faster... but does it really make a difference? Why do you need a fast card? if it's slow will I have to wait to take my 2nd pic then 3rd etc? If someone could clue me in that'd be great!

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    It's relatively easy
    I'm new to the whole digital photography thing and haven't bought my cf card yet. I've looked at the reviews and charts and stuff about what's faster... but does it really make a difference? Why do you need a fast card? if it's slow will I have to wait to take my 2nd pic then 3rd etc? If someone could clue me in that'd be great!
    Essentially you're looking at the "eliminating the weakest link" ongoing game. Originally digital cameras were slow, there were no high-speed shooting, files were small, no RAW, etc. At those times even slow flash cards were way faster than needed.
    Now with high range DSLRs being able to produce several 8mp RAWs per second write speed is essential. Put it a low card - and instead of 4fps you can get 3, or even one, or worse.

So, you see, all the components in the workflow should be adequate.
    Fast lens allows for fastr refocusing and faster shutter speeds, which allows for more fps, which needs faster card, which fills card quicker, which needs higher volume, which needs faster way to deliver pictures to computer, which needs more HDD space and more ram to handle 6..10 8mp RAWs into one high quality HDR..:-)

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Slow cards mean slow image review, reduced burst rate, and longer downloading times. It's like putting a speed governor on a race car. A slow card will hobble the performance of a fast camera. Put a fast card in there, and it will feel like a whole new camera.

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 24, 2005
    Check this site out. Just go to the dropdown in the upper right and select the camera you will be using. A chart with just about all of the available CF/MD devices and their timings will appear thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    It does depend on your camera, though. A point-and-shoot saving 3-megapixel JPEGs isn't going to benefit from a fast card...save your money. But a digital SLR pumping out 8-megapixel RAWs out its fast data bus will benefit.
  • Options
    nillaismydognillaismydog Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    It does depend on your camera, though. A point-and-shoot saving 3-megapixel JPEGs isn't going to benefit from a fast card...save your money. But a digital SLR pumping out 8-megapixel RAWs out its fast data bus will benefit.
    I just bought a Digital Rebel XT (just switched from film). I still don't really understand... if I have a slower card will my camera kinda stall? I could care less about how long it takes for me to view pictures or for them to download to my computer... it's just the shooting I'm concerned about.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Then buy fast cards, besides, your cards will probably stick around longer than your camera mwink.gif
    I just bought a Digital Rebel XT (just switched from film). I still don't really understand... if I have a slower card will my camera kinda stall? I could care less about how long it takes for me to view pictures or for them to download to my computer... it's just the shooting I'm concerned about.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Then buy fast cards, besides, your cards will probably stick around longer than your camera mwink.gif
    This is very true I still have my first 128mb card I bought 3 years ago. Buy fast cards. The cheaper ones will be slow and you will notice it. Hell I have fast cards by last years standards and they are slow (lexar 40X and sandisk ultra II).
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005

It will take the camera longer to write the image to the CF card, which means you'll have to wait longer before you can review your shots in-camera.

If you shoot in burst mode, your camera's buffer will fill up more quickly, and empty more slowly. This will limit how many shots you can shoot in burst mode, and will mean a greater delay before you can shoot another burst.

When you download the contents of your card to your hard drive, it will take longer for the images to transfer.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    This is very true I still have my first 128mb card I bought 3 years ago.
    Yep same for me...my 128 Dick Smith special (radio shack type) has been to hell & back. Funny though...i just cant quite get my head around the fact that it always held about 120 images & now i only get 12...ive lost some along the way headscratch.gif

Gus
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep same for me...my 128 Dick Smith special (radio shack type) has been to hell & back. Funny though...i just cant quite get my head around the fact that it always held about 120 images & now i only get 12...ive lost some along the way headscratch.gif

Gus

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.giflol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, but they are 12 really good images :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero