Can this be saved?

FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in People
There is so much wrong with this picture. Lighting, they are WAY TOO close to the background, horrible shadows....................Can anything be done to salvage? I messed with it a bit, but will post the original in a moment.

Original
474288593_uiPRE-L.jpg

and here is with the dodge tool. What else should I do to keep this?
474860388_i8oE9-L.jpg
~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
my real job
looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    You could always try to replace the background.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    The second one(original) looks fine. For the shadows, you may want to try the dodge tool to lighten them up a bit.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    The second one(original) looks fine. For the shadows, you may want to try the dodge tool to lighten them up a bit.

I will give both those ideas a shot. Hadn't thought of either. headscratch.gif
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Try Dodge on Highlights at 17% with a soft brush and just keep coloring until it is stark white. Cute kids!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited February 16, 2009
    I am looking at my elements now to see where these options are. Thank you!! I repost after I adjust, for further critique.
    ~Shannon~

my real job
    edited February 16, 2009
    To me, your redo looks too fake. My suggestion would be to tone the shadows out, but not completely eliminate them.

I think it really comes down to what you call salvaging. This is a great shot on it's own and looks better than 99% of snap shots. The more you process, the more it looks fake, and worse in my eyes. If you are trying to get this to like studio quality, it is not going to happen. You need to get all that right before you take the picture.
    edited February 16, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    To me, your redo looks too fake. My suggestion would be to tone the shadows out, but not completely eliminate them.

I think it really comes down to what you call salvaging. This is a great shot on it's own and looks better than 99% of snap shots. The more you process, the more it looks fake, and worse in my eyes. If you are trying to get this to like studio quality, it is not going to happen. You need to get all that right before you take the picture.

No not trying to get it studio quality at all, because as you stated, I would have had to have gotten it right before hitting the shutter. I just want to be able to get the picture to some kind of quality that I could print it for the grandparents. They've been asking me to get a picture of the kids, and out of some 60 I took, this one had the best facial expressions, not throwing of objects at each other, no crying, etc... :D
    ~Shannon~

my real job
    edited February 16, 2009
    For that purpose, you are being WAY to hard on yourself. They look just fine as is then!thumb.gif

What you can do is crop tighter. Since the young mans hand is cut off anyway, bring the crop up higher from the bottom so you do not see any skin, and just above the wrist. Lose some of the space on the left and right, cropping to fill the picture size you are going to print out. This may also help with the shadow problem as you will be cropping out the really dark shadow on the bottom right.
  • JeriAmrineJeriAmrine Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Honestly, I think the grandparents would be happy with your edit. They won't be able to take their eyes off of the kids' expressions! Those are classic!! Made me smile!
    Jeri

www.jeriamrinephotography.com

Gear: Canon XTi, some Canon lenses, a few filters, lights and other gadgets I'm not quite sure how to use...yet!

Always wanting new glass....

edited February 17, 2009
    Thanks. I'm not happy with the glowing white, but not thrilled with my lack of skill either. rolleyes1.gif
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Shannon,

As the family photographer and resident scrapbooker, I have about a million shots like this one. Don't want to sell it on canvas, just want a nice shot.

When you said you were looking in your Elements, if you meant PSE, I use PSE 6 and would be glad to help find the tools if need be.

Adorable kids! It's hard to get two that age to stand still long enough to wipe their faces off, let alone get a shot that doesn't need at least a little TLC.

Sarah
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
    edited February 17, 2009
    Shannon,

As the family photographer and resident scrapbooker, I have about a million shots like this one. Don't want to sell it on canvas, just want a nice shot.

When you said you were looking in your Elements, if you meant PSE, I use PSE 6 and would be glad to help find the tools if need be.

Adorable kids! It's hard to get two that age to stand still long enough to wipe their faces off, let alone get a shot that doesn't need at least a little TLC.

Sarah

Oh thanks! Much appreciated. I'm actually PSE4 for Mac. Not sure it's too much different than PSE6.
    ~Shannon~

my real job