Options

CS4 Problems

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in Finishing School
Here we go again. In the past I have been able to put any photo into PhotoShop CS3 and it always appears in ACR. I have now found that this does not happen with CS4 it bypasses the ACR program.
I really have never been in a habit of segregating my CR2 files from the Jpgs. I obviously got away with this in CS3 but CS4 no way. It amazes me as sometimes I am able to put up an image in CS4 and it appears in ACR and yet the one before and the one after will not appear in ACR. Please help as I am still learning.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    Budley007Budley007 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2009
    Ctrl + R will open any JPG, Tiff or CR2(raw) in ACR (via Bridge)
    Ctrl + O will open any JPG, Tiff or CR2(raw) in ACR via Photoshop

Once a JPG, Tiff or CR2(raw) file has been edited in ACR, it will acquire a little icon in the upper right hand corner of the thumbnail when viewed in Bridge. (Looks like gray circle with the slider graphic inside)

If a thumbnail has this icon in Bridge, then simply double clicking on the thumbnail will launch ACR via Photoshop. To skip ACR, hold the shift key down then double click the thumbnail. (make sure it's the only thumbnail highlighted)

These actions assume that Bridge settings have been left at default

It's my understanding that ACR under CS4 has been done this way to keep it independant from Photoshop. You can actually have one ACR instance open via Bridge and another open via Photoshop at the same time. (helps bigtime during batch processing when you want to continue working on something else)
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Budley007 wrote:
    Ctrl + R will open any JPG, Tiff or CR2(raw) in ACR (via Bridge)
    Ctrl + O will open any JPG, Tiff or CR2(raw) in ACR via Photoshop

Once a JPG, Tiff or CR2(raw) file has been edited in ACR, it will acquire a little icon in the upper right hand corner of the thumbnail when viewed in Bridge. (Looks like gray circle with the slider graphic inside)

If a thumbnail has this icon in Bridge, then simply double clicking on the thumbnail will launch ACR via Photoshop. To skip ACR, hold the shift key down then double click the thumbnail. (make sure it's the only thumbnail highlighted)

These actions assume that Bridge settings have been left at default

It's my understanding that ACR under CS4 has been done this way to keep it independant from Photoshop. You can actually have one ACR instance open via Bridge and another open via Photoshop at the same time. (helps bigtime during batch processing when you want to continue working on something else)

Thanks Budley I really appreciate your kind help. Brilliant.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Budley I really appreciate your kind help. Brilliant.
    Regards
    Bob

I have tried the Ctrl + 'O' key to open a Jpg in ACR in PhotoShop but it still skips ACR. The Bridge I find is working fine.
    When I hit Ctrl + 'O' it brings up 'My Documents' file to select an image and when I click on the image it just bypasses ACR. Am I not doing it right?
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    Budley007Budley007 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 24, 2009
    Been out of town, so sorry for the delay in response to your query. If you haven't already found an answer to your concern with the JPG files not coming up in ACR. It is my understanding that, unless you've previously edited the JPG in ACR, it will behave as you've described using Ctrl+O. There should be an icon in the upper right hand corner as explained in my previous post. If this is not the case, then I may have been mistaken. (I rarely use Ctrl+O) Let me know.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2009
    Budley007 wrote:
    Been out of town, so sorry for the delay in response to your query. If you haven't already found an answer to your concern with the JPG files not coming up in ACR. It is my understanding that, unless you've previously edited the JPG in ACR, it will behave as you've described using Ctrl+O. There should be an icon in the upper right hand corner as explained in my previous post. If this is not the case, then I may have been mistaken. (I rarely use Ctrl+O) Let me know.

Thanks for replying and your kind help. However, I was given the solution and it was in File Handling: there is a button there which deals with ACR and JPG handling.
    Regards
    Bob