A portrait shot of my little'un

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited February 16, 2009 in People
..it's been a while since I posted some pics but I took this shot today. 9.5 months old and getting cheekier by the day :)

Bit of natural light from his left. Flash bounced off the ceiling and some cheapy fake fur thing behind him. Taken at 50mm, F1.8 @ 1/125, ISO100 and +0.7 expostion compensation.

He was playing with a ball and just as I took this shot he dropped the ball and I caught it as it rolled over his hand. Either that or he has a cool ass balancing trick :D

Both shots are of the same image, the second, just a tighter crop.

CC's appreciated. (I already know I've overcooked the "smoothing" on the skin a bit too much ;) )

474386243_jG8RY-O.jpg

474386378_AqPex-O.jpg

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Really precious shot. I'd like to see a less processed version, too.

Caroline
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Wow, he looks like a baby doll!!! iloveyou.gif May I ask if you don't mind. Could you give a picture of the set up of this? i.e. your source of natural light to where he was seated? I try so hard to get nice photos of my kiddos with natural light and never in my wildest dreams could I get a picture this nice.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks for the comments. :) Unfortunately, I'm on a run of late shifts in work now and will get little time to work on the shots however, as soon as I do I'll work on a less processed version (learning curve :) )

Flutist,

I had him sat in an inflatable ring chair we have with a fake fur throw in it and behind him. directly 90 degrees to his left was the window. I had my 430 EX II on the camera pointing at the ceiling.

I had to pull the highlights back a bit on the right and also do a little burning on the fur as that had become somewhat blown out but knowing very little about portraiture photography I am happy with the results.

As mentioned, I'm going to pull back the PP work (I stand guilty of over doing it hehe) :)

Thanks again :)
  • JeriAmrineJeriAmrine Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I just love the eyes!!!! What a cutie!!
    Jeri

www.jeriamrinephotography.com

Gear: Canon XTi, some Canon lenses, a few filters, lights and other gadgets I'm not quite sure how to use...yet!

Always wanting new glass....

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    JeriAmrine wrote:
    I just love the eyes!!!! What a cutie!!

Thank you :)