Mystic Mutts of Revelry Mardi Gras Parade 2/14/09

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in People
During the Mardi Gras season, a local town, Fairhope, has a Mystic Mutts parade where dogs make their owners pay an entry fee which helps local animal shelters and adoption agencies. These were shot with a D700 and 17-35 and 70-200.
473719271_2PHso-XL.jpg
473718114_qsmbe-XL.jpg
473719872_wZFS3-XL.jpg
4 Willie Bean is a local dog that ran for mayor of Fairhope. He made national news and even got a mention on the David Letterman show, but Dave made it into a typical hick Southern joke. The politics were getting bad in the local election, so a coffee shop owner decided to put Willie Bean on the ballot as a way of "protesting".

473720721_9Gffr-XL.jpg
Here's Willie himself

473721139_bjcT6-XL.jpg
473722466_ex9Uh-XL.jpg
473723166_XS3hC-XL.jpg
473723707_CcxbD-XL.jpg
473724677_xaNYM-XL.jpg
473725257_PLBRG-XL.jpg
473722822_E395w-XL.jpg
473725457_ve93v-XL.jpg
473718403_uzGwx-XL.jpg

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Great photo series. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I like the colors alot...And yes i would cut of..allmost any body part for that camera combination xD
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Arvan wrote:
    I like the colors alot...And yes i would cut of..allmost any body part for that camera combination xD

I know! These two lenses get negative marks sometimes because of vignetting problems on FF, but in practical shooting, it really doesn't matter.
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    You didn't specifically ask for it, but I assume the reason for posting in this forum is to get C&C :) So, nothing personal, but ...

The shots are too 'standard' for me. Yeah, good looking shots, but anybody could've gotten those. Every single shot I thought to myself "yup, this is how I would've looked at this parade/event if I was there" ... What I'm trying to say is - would've loved to see different angles! Shoot from lower, higher, odd angles that you don't see every day.

Just my 2 cents.
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    You didn't specifically ask for it, but I assume the reason for posting in this forum is to get C&C :) So, nothing personal, but ...

The shots are too 'standard' for me. Yeah, good looking shots, but anybody could've gotten those. Every single shot I thought to myself "yup, this is how I would've looked at this parade/event if I was there" ... What I'm trying to say is - would've loved to see different angles! Shoot from lower, higher, odd angles that you don't see every day.

Just my 2 cents.

Maby that was the thing? To not photograph so artistic..Imho photos that look like this tells a good story fo how it was like ( as you said ) but sometimes..Thats the point?
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009

Just my 2 cents.

Most everybody who was there with a camera were standing up and shooting down on the dogs. THAT is how people saw the parade. I agree I could have gotten higher, but then I would have great shots of the back of people's head looking down on the dogs. I could have shot from above and looked down on the dogs, but those are "standard" shots of dogs done by everybody else. Unless you attend parades and watch them from knees, I don't see how this would be how you would see the parade.

The only way I could have gotten lower is to fall prostrate on the ground, but then I would have been trampled by the kids and took the risk of getting marked as territory by every passing dog. Plus, I was trying to find color on an overcast day. Sorry if they seem boring to you. I guess that's why we have more than one person with a camera so we can get alternatives.thumb.gif
  • Andrew GouldAndrew Gould Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    A excellent variey of shots which transmit the excitement of being there very well. I particularly like the beer can dog and the wide eyed girl. Great subjects, so well portrayed.