MC3 - Pyro's NYC

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited February 20, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I shot a whole lot of images, but I can't process all of them that quickly. =c) This is the first in the set.

theCityThatNeverSleeps.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I shot a whole lot of images, but I can't process all of them that quickly. =c) This is the first in the set.

hey P -

Are these pano (ie stitched)? At least at this end I'm getting a fair bit of distortion, with the skyline tilting inwards and away from me. If you can get it vertical, then awesome, but with a skyline as familiar as NYC it's hard not to notice it.

I'm jealous you live there and can shoot it!!!!!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    it's not a stich, but i'll see if i cana fix the keystoning
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    This is OK, but I know you can do better. deal.gif

What I'm missing from here is an interesting foreground. The skyline just seems to be floating in darkness. Do you have a version with more foreground detail? I'd like to see a version with more reflections in the water and get a better look at that pier-thing.
    edited February 18, 2009
    I guess people aren't terribly excited about that image. So here is a close up =c) Any better?

The Pace of New York

thePaceOfNY.jpg
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Pace of NY
    I really like this one! For my taste - maybe just a little off the bottom. Cool photo!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I really like this one! For my taste - maybe just a little off the bottom. Cool photo!

I agree!

Virginia

Email
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 18, 2009
    Oh yes the b/w one does it for me!! That is superb! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    edited February 19, 2009
    This one is much better! thumb.gif

I agree that you need to consider a crop but not necessarily all from the bottom. Those painted patterns on the street are interesting and seem to lead the eye into the photograph. The top of the photo is dark and there's not much of interest there. Maybe an idea would be to crop the dark area from the bottom of your photo and take more off the top. headscratch.gif
    edited February 19, 2009
    3 variations new variations, what do you think?

1. The Pace of New York (original crop, bronze 2 tone)
    thePaceOfNY_original.jpg

2. The Pace of New York (tight crop, silver 2 tone)
    thePaceOfNY_crop.jpg

3. The Color of New York Evenings thePaceOfNY_crop_color.jpg
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Oooo.... finally catching up on posts and popped in to say how much I liked the traffic shot. And now you have three new ones to consider!

I think I like the original crop or the yellow taxis - both are super thumb.gif
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    The yellow on the taxis hurts me and I have a soft spot for bronze bw conversion. I blame communism, personally.
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I really like the 2nd one or the last one. I really like selective color when it is used right but I have noticed that most photographers do not like it. That being said, for an entry I vote for the 2nd one but for my personal fav -I like the yellow taxis :D
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
    edited February 20, 2009
    These latest variations look good. I can now see detail on the buildings in the background whereas before everything was just too dark. Of these latest three #1 - the Bronze two tone appeals to me the most. The silver treatment is OK but makes the streetlights look blown out. I find myself looking more at their auras that at the rest of the photo. If you're going to try additional variations, leave the shot all B&W, it'll have more of a classic NY feel to it adding selective coloring to it. deal.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I like the crop of #2 and the toning of #1. The selective coloring is well done (especially on the movement streaks!), but overpowers the composition a bit too much for my taste. Really cool scene, regardless. thumb.gif
    edited February 20, 2009
    Full selective coloring (a little deeper, plus tail lights)
    thePaceOfNY_2.jpg

(single, lonely color taxi)
    thePaceOfNY_1.jpg
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009