Seattle Skyline

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited February 20, 2009 in Landscapes
From last night in the cold and rain. I think I'm going to enter #1 in the current mega challenge, it was the first time I had tried converting this type of a shot to B&W and I think it turned out pretty good.

#1:

474547699_zwH5b-XL.jpg

#2:

474550745_E6RB8-XL.jpg

#3:

474542976_ec73L-XL.jpg

Comments

• cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I really like it in B&W. I see a lot of shots from this spot from you, must be close to home/work. The sky looks the best in in the conversion as well.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    I really like it in B&W. I see a lot of shots from this spot from you, must be close to home/work. The sky looks the best in in the conversion as well.

15524779-Ti.gif The B&W conversion is very good. Did use Silver Efex for this?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    All three are great images, I lean toward the B&W version, but #3 is really nice too.

It looks as if you were shooting from a higher vantage point than the 12th st. bridge, perhaps the big dot-com building there on the north end of Beacon Hill?

Good luck in the mega challenge.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Amazing shot! Love the B&W!

I think that was shot from the Amazon.com/PacMed Center.
  • doingcooldoingcool Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Amazing shot!
    i like the last one
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    While these are all great shots, that first in B/W is a showstopper!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 16, 2009
    Awesome shots, Ron. bowdown.gif Those are crazy interesting.

Can't really decide on a favorite. Love 'em all.

-joel
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Another vote for B&W.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    cj99si wrote:

It is, I can get there 10 minutes from work (these specific shots were taken from a building at work, not the one I work in though) and 20 minutes from home.

I have a whole gallery for this little 1/4 mile area:

http://photos.coscorrosa.com/gallery/1935886_zFFyp
    edited February 16, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif The B&W conversion is very good. Did use Silver Efex for this?
    Guilty :D
    edited February 16, 2009
    Roaddog 52 wrote:
    All three are great images, I lean toward the B&W version, but #3 is really nice too.

It looks as if you were shooting from a higher vantage point than the 12th st. bridge, perhaps the big dot-com building there on the north end of Beacon Hill?

Good luck in the mega challenge.

Thanks! Yes, as Rhuarc said, this was taken from the Pacific Medical Center building (headquarters of my employer, Amazon.com). They're moving out of that building in the next 2 years so I have to take advantage while I can :D
    edited February 16, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    While these are all great shots, that first in B/W is a showstopper!

Bzdula Beams (tm) rolleyes1.gif

I agree, the colors were basically generic as the sun was hidden behind a dense amount of fog, but that actually translates quite well to B&W apparently. Hopefully I can sneak out to this spot during a great sunset and get a sweet color version to match.
    edited February 16, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Awesome shots, Ron. bowdown.gif Those are crazy interesting.

Can't really decide on a favorite. Love 'em all.

-joel

Thanks Joel! There are basically three "standard" locations in Seattle for skyline shots: West Seattle across Elliott Bay (you can see the Space Needle and all of downtown reflecting in the water), Kerry Park (Space Needle, some of down town, Elliott Bay, and Mt. Rainier), and this spot on the 12th. Ave. Bridge looking north to downtown. It's probably my favorite spot of the three unless Mt. Rainier is doing something interesting then I head to Kerry Park.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Joel! There are basically three "standard" locations in Seattle for skyline shots: West Seattle across Elliott Bay (you can see the Space Needle and all of downtown reflecting in the water), Kerry Park (Space Needle, some of down town, Elliott Bay, and Mt. Rainier), and this spot on the 12th. Ave. Bridge looking north to downtown. It's probably my favorite spot of the three unless Mt. Rainier is doing something interesting then I head to Kerry Park.

great shots, Ron. love the BW conversion. one of these days, i need to get up to Beacon Hill for a night shot of Seattle... it can be a bit dicey at night, but if you keep an eye out, you're usually fine. and i probably need a shot from this angle for my "portfolio" before i blow town for good in a few years...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I really like these, the black and white one is sweet.