I used off camera flash outdoors! How did I do?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in People
Thanks to this forum I have learned a ton.... One being that my outside photo's had flat lighting and that I should get my flash off camera... So.... SB800 into a softbox triggered by pocket wizards. So...how's the lighting on these? Are they better? This was military couple who got married 6 months ago in Ireland and their photog wouldn't take any posed shots (weird) So they came to me... (knowing my limitations) for a portrait sitting.. They were visiting family and are stationed in Hawaii! The pictures outside were taken at Vassar College by the school of music in 25 degree weather so the posing and such was pretty simple because the bride was really cold in a strapless dress! Any c/c would be welcome.... These are just a few...

474838731_dbVQU-L.jpg

474840219_FXeAx-L.jpg

474841393_ZNWti-L.jpg

474842617_75iNC-L.jpg

474844586_uDKrg-L.jpg

474845941_URKvh-L.jpg

474847618_d6WKM-L.jpg

474848654_Z2K9N-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Your lighting looks great. I plan on getting the new pocket wizard to get photos like this.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Perfect! thumb.gif Nice photos!
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Exposures was spot on to me..So i guess you did great clap.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    These are beautiful! Seems to me that you've not only learned the theory, but have the execution down just fine too. clap.gifclap
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I think these are very beautiful. Bravo to the bride for not looking cold! And you did a very nice job of adding light and catchlights. My faves are 3 & 7. clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks so much for the compliments. I as so wanting to learn the right way to do things! I thought they were better than my previous outside shots. The light was softer with the softbox coming from like a 30 degree angle on most of the shots. Not a lot of time to move it around so I just moved around it. It didn't hurt that is was 4:15pm in the northeast which is very soft light anyway. Can't wait for spring to get outside some more now! Thanks again everyone here!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • cappicappi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    They look awsome!!! Well done. clap.gif
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    These are beautiful! Seems to me that you've not only learned the theory, but have the execution down just fine too. clap.gifclap
    15524779-Ti.gif Very nice job. I like #1 the best because, to me at least, the groom looks the most relaxed in this one.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    very nice job. #1 is my fav.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    There are few things I look for in my lighting:
    • The quality of the light - how soft are the light/shadow transitions. Up to a point softer is better. You nailed it here. Nothing more to be said.
    • Exposure. With the exception of #6, I think you did a wonderful job. In #6, I think I would have supplied a bit more light to allow for a smaller aperture to offset the brightness of the light on their faces.
    • Shadows - Except for high-key images, photos without shadows lack something. I like to get the light off the camera-subject line by at least 30 degrees (you say you did this but I don't see it in the catchlights in the eyes) and more like 45 degrees. Combined with a large light source (which you nailed - see the first point) - one can get very dramatic and natural looking feature relief - brings strength and character to one's portraits.
    • Color - especially balancing the flash with the ambient. In the balancing act, matching flash to ambient color is important. The flash can be a touch warmer than ambient, but it's generally not real good to have it cooler than the ambient. I think I might have gelled the flash, especially in #6 where the whites .... aren't.
    From a strictly marketing standpoint, I think you might have done better to not have cropped these quite so tight - I like to try (emphasis on TRY as I fail in this as often as I am successful) to crop in camera with a view to being able to print the image up in 2:3 or 4:5 ratio format. You have great 2:3 ratio formats here, but one would be very hard-pressed to get a good 8"x10" print from some of these.

The above are mostly nits that I see that can be improved to, in my limited view, take them to the next level (one I'm still trying to attain - make no mistake on that score).

All that having been said, I think these images are going to be an unqualified success with your clients - they are going to flat-out love them 'cause they are very, very good.thumb.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Excellent lighting on these. Well done.thumb.gif
    edited February 17, 2009
    There are few things I look for in my lighting:
    • The quality of the light - how soft are the light/shadow transitions. Up to a point softer is better. You nailed it here. Nothing more to be said.
    • Exposure. With the exception of #6, I think you did a wonderful job. In #6, I think I would have supplied a bit more light to allow for a smaller aperture to offset the brightness of the light on their faces.
    • Shadows - Except for high-key images, photos without shadows lack something. I like to get the light off the camera-subject line by at least 30 degrees (you say you did this but I don't see it in the catchlights in the eyes) and more like 45 degrees. Combined with a large light source (which you nailed - see the first point) - one can get very dramatic and natural looking feature relief - brings strength and character to one's portraits.
    • Color - especially balancing the flash with the ambient. In the balancing act, matching flash to ambient color is important. The flash can be a touch warmer than ambient, but it's generally not real good to have it cooler than the ambient. I think I might have gelled the flash, especially in #6 where the whites .... aren't.
    From a strictly marketing standpoint, I think you might have done better to not have cropped these quite so tight - I like to try (emphasis on TRY as I fail in this as often as I am successful) to crop in camera with a view to being able to print the image up in 2:3 or 4:5 ratio format. You have great 2:3 ratio formats here, but one would be very hard-pressed to get a good 8"x10" print from some of these.

The above are mostly nits that I see that can be improved to, in my limited view, take them to the next level (one I'm still trying to attain - make no mistake on that score).

All that having been said, I think these images are going to be an unqualified success with your clients - they are going to flat-out love them 'cause they are very, very good.thumb.gif

Thanks Scott! I actually like nits...because without knowing about them you can't get perfection! Next time I will definately try to get the softbox towards 45 degree. This just was a difficult shoot because of the location and the cold. To go 45% to the left side (the farther away from the brighter light) was on at hill and I didn't have anybody to make sure it didn't tip over. I had the brides mother holding the reflector to block most of the sun that was streaming through the trees causing craziness. But next time...it will be better planned!

And might I say I really don't like shadow? It bugs me. I know it makes the portait in alot of cases, but it still bugs me. I am trying to get over it. :D

and what gel would you have used? an amber one?

As far as the 8x10 thing.... I crop all my photos to 10x14 in PS because I sell alot of 5x7's. When somebody orders an 8x10 I have a saved edit that is uncropped that I will just crop to 8x10 before I place the order through WHCC. Having a ff camera I shoot for 8x10 but crop to 5x7 if that makes sense?

Thanks again Scott, I really appreciate your input. bowdown.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    and what gel would you have used? an amber one?

As far as the 8x10 thing.... I crop all my photos to 10x14 in PS because I sell alot of 5x7's. When somebody orders an 8x10 I have a saved edit that is uncropped that I will just crop to 8x10 before I place the order through WHCC. Having a ff camera I shoot for 8x10 but crop to 5x7 if that makes sense?

Thanks again Scott, I really appreciate your input. bowdown.gif
    I would think either an 1/4 CTS (color temperature - straw) or a 1/4 CTO (color temperature - orange) depending on the color of the sunlight (controlled/determined by how late in the day you were shooting). The links I provided are for example only. There are lots of sources for flash gels. If you search around DGrin, you'll run into a couple of thread contributions from Jeffreaux2 and Nikolai on the topic. Each have test other solutions.

1/4 density might not be enough either - so you double it up - easy stuff. The idea is to match the color/temperature of the flash to the ambient or at least get it close.
  • The ProfThe Prof Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2009
    Excellent!
    Excellent shots. Congratulations. You got the outdoor flash down pat.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Sandy...keep doing what you did here......then for the heck of it learn to use shadows. The light is wonderful...using shadows (when possible) in conjunction with the light will take it even to another level! Well done here! They will love them.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited February 17, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Sandy...keep doing what you did here......then for the heck of it learn to use shadows. The light is wonderful...using shadows (when possible) in conjunction with the light will take it even to another level! Well done here! They will love them.

Thanks Swartzy, I am going to give it a try...but just to get this straight... for the best shadows for outside...(or inside for that matter) I should have the subject in the shade or under cloudy skies? and position the softbox at a 45 degree angle? Then do I use a reflector and where would that positioned? I have a large rigid reflector and also a smaller round one with 5 different options. Or...do I use 2 sb800's with 2 softboxes?

In this case I didn't block just a little of the sunlight to light her veil. I wish it were a little higher in the veil but it was late afternoon and the sun was down low and they were a really tall couple!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Thanks Swartzy, I am going to give it a try...but just to get this straight... for the best shadows for outside...(or inside for that matter) I should have the subject in the shade or under cloudy skies? and position the softbox at a 45 degree angle? Then do I use a reflector and where would that positioned? I have a large rigid reflector and also a smaller round one with 5 different options. Or...do I use 2 sb800's with 2 softboxes?

In this case I didn't block just a little of the sunlight to light her veil. I wish it were a little higher in the veil but it was late afternoon and the sun was down low and they were a really tall couple!

There are no formulas per se. If it is sunny out, I typically will head for the shade...then can use a reflector alone pulling in the light from the sunny area (an assistant is valuable here). In the shade you now have your shadow (mind you, not spotted shade..that's a bad thing on a subjects face). Then by pulling light in either with one softbox using the edge of the light, you then can "model" the light to your liking or...using a reflector can have the same effect...but the sb can be powered up or down for the look you're after.

Having the softbox (CR or CL) depends on what is the most pleasing side of the face, expression, etc. By moving the softbox (think rotate) you can use the spill of the light to your advantage while still having enought light wrap around the darker side of the face(s). It is a bit easier experimenting than trying to read and understand the concepts.....experience will show you what works or doesn't along with providing you ideas for balancing the light with ambient.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552