Options

Will be in St. Louis March 6th, photo locations?

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited February 16, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm going to be passing through St. Louis on March 6th. I get into the airport at about 9:30 in the morning, and I will have most of the day to wander around the city.

I was wondering if anyone knows of good location for photo ops? I will of course be checking out the Arch, and I'm going to walk down to the new Busch Stadium as well. Any other good locations around that area, either walking distance or by public transit that I should check out? I would love to be able to find a good spot to take a shot of the downtown skyline, but I don't know the area and have no idea where to go for that. Any suggestions are welcome!

Oh, and as an aside, does anyone know if there are tours of the new Busch Stadium available?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Saint Louis Photo Opportunities
    I guess you can say that there a lot of places to photograph in Saint Louis (STL) depending on your photographic interests.

In the central west end, there is the Basilica Cathedral of Saint Louis, impressive architecture, contains the world's largest collection of moasic art, 83,000 sq. ft. The central west end also has some interesting eclectic cafes and ivy covered buildings.

The STL zoo is free and there are countless opportunities for not so wild wildlife shots, but makes great practice for some close ups, DOF shots, and you don't have to hire a guide!

Of course the Arch is an interesting site, especially if you wish to work on creativity and different angles, perspectives, point-of-view shots.

You never know what the river traffic will be like so while walking around the Arch, keep an eye out for passing tugs, and assorted river traffic.

Laclede's Landing, a few steps west of the Arch is an interesting collection of architecture, buildings, cobble stone streets and eating establishments.

The Botanical Garden is 79 arcres of well botanicals, something is blooming or in bloom each season. The Garden includes a 70 foot high dome housing 1200 different types of trees, plants, flowers, etc. If its cold outside on the 6th, the 74 degree temps in the dome might be a good choice.

STL Union Staion is another architecture gem, located a bit west of the central city core but still in sight of the Arch, it is a Romanesque-style building completed in 1894. Check out the Grand Hall (make sure you're packing your wide angle lens for this shot).

Busch Stadium is a fixture in downtown STL and can be photographed from several distinct vantage points. I am not sure if tours are being given, best to call ahead and see (314) 345-9000.

Be advised that there is a major highway construction project underway that requires some alternative routes be taken from the airport (route 170) to the downtown city core (i.e., the Arch). I suggest checking out www.stlplaces.com/traffic for up-to-date road intel to plan out your trip from the airport to the sites mentioned above, to maximize your time behind the lens instead of the wheel.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your brief visit here in the Gateway to the West!
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Seattle Question
    I noticed that your tag indicates that you are from Seattle.

Wonder if you can return the favor.

I will be in Seattle on April 15th arriving say around 11:00am. I will have most of the rest of the day free to explore, save a required trip to the REI mothership. I have been to Seattle several times but, I wold be interested in some suggestions of non-mainstream locations where I might be able to take some interesting shots. Love architecture, mountains, unique buildings, vistas.... I know, I am all over the place.

I will be in town working during the day, freeing up around 5:30pm, through the 17th, then headed out for several days of hiking and photography in greater Washington, probably the coast- TBD.

Where do you recommend I head in Seattle proper for some novel evening shots, skylines, etc.?

Oh BTW, to grab a good STL skyline shot, you would need to cross the river into Illinois, and look west. Depending on your arrival time, however, you might be shoting into the sun - bummer.

Thanks for sharing some of those coveted Seattle locals! Appreciate it!