Options

Lenses for 20D

SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
edited May 25, 2005 in Cameras
Ok I am ready to purchase another lense for the 20d. I have the kit 18-55 lense. I read the reviews and am still confused as to what lense to buy. I like to do all types of photography and need one additonal lenses with a wide range of options. I do not have a great deal to spend (around $500-$600) but want to get decent photos. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    what about the canon, 28-135 mm many like it and its not too pricey... its a good all purpose, carry around lens.

troy ( BTW - im not really one whoo knows abouut lenses, so ask others )

Sandy wrote:
    Ok I am ready to purchase another lense for the 20d. I have the kit 18-55 lense. I read the reviews and am still confused as to what lense to buy. I like to do all types of photography and need one additonal lenses with a wide range of options. I do not have a great deal to spend (around $500-$600) but want to get decent photos. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Sandy ...have i mentioned how much fun the 10-22 is ? Andy has one for sale in the flea market.

22953720-M.jpg
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Sandy wrote:

Do you want to go wider, or more telephoto? And of all the types of photography you do, which type do you want to benefit the most first?

The 28-135 was a good suggestion, but it has a lot of overlap with your kit lens. You might want to consider something else. Three options:

1) the 10-22 for wide angle
    2) the 75-300 or the 70-200/4 for telephoto
    3) a 50/1.4 for stunning portraits
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Since you already have a the 18-55 range covered. If you are looking for flexibility I would combine that with a 75-300 IS lense. Keep in mind it's not an L lense but its a decent walk around and gives you more range that way.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 24, 2005
    Sandy,

Could you clarify your "I need one additional lens with a wide range of options" comment? Are you looking to go wider, longer, longer and wider?

Gus' suggestion of the 10-22mm is a good one if you want/need a super wide angle. A little too wide for day to day use, or as a walkaround IMHO, but oh-so-kewl for when you want to get close and wide thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    I am more interested in a telephoto at this time, so I will look at the 75-300IS since I like the option to walk around and shoot. I do get decent portraits with the 18-55. I find that I also need more light in siituations where I am photographing groups inside. So I guess I should also get a speedlight. There are too many options for my non-pro mind.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    I am more interested in a telephoto at this time, so I will look at the 75-300IS since I like the option to walk around and shoot. I do get decent portraits with the 18-55. I find that I also need more light in siituations where I am photographing groups inside. So I guess I should also get a speedlight. There are too many options for my non-pro mind.

The 70-200 f4L is a nice lens, L quality...you should be able to get one for $500.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Sheila SmartSheila Smart Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Hi Sandy

Before you commit yourself to the 75-300, perhaps you should read these mixed reviews of this lens. I highly recommend the Canon 70-200 f/4L.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=16&sort=7&cat=27&page=2

Cheers
    Sheila
    Sandy wrote:
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/sheila

All the technique in the world does not compensate for the inability to notice - Elliott Erwitt
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    I'm glad to hear you are happy with the kit lens. Life is much cheaper for those who are xzicon_smile_cool.gif

For someone like you, I'd reccommend a similar quality zoom...like the Canon or Sigma 55-200mm.

Take the rest and get yourself a decent flash. The top of the line is the 580ex for abour $400...but no reason to go there. The Canon 420ex or the Sigma DG Super 500 as I believe they are comparable in price. The Sigma is a close competitor to Canon's top of the line flash.

And of course everyone needs the 50mm f1.8 "plastic fantastic" for $75.

Lee
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    Thanks, it really helps to have the feedback. I am leaning toward the 70-200 4L
    for higher quality photos. Since I am have been asked to photograph an awards event for the local chamber, I think I better get a speedlight.
  • Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    Sandy,
    I have the sigma DG 500 flash unit and have no complaints. A great flash for much cheaper than the Speed Light. 47Th St. Photo sells it on E Bay for 189.00 plus shipping. If you purchase it from their store it's 10.00 extra plus shipping.

Take the extra cash you save on the flash and get that lens.
    Bob
    Bob
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    Sandy wrote:
    Thanks, it really helps to have the feedback. I am leaning toward the 70-200 4L
    for higher quality photos. Since I am have been asked to photograph an awards event for the local chamber, I think I better get a speedlight.
    For all the reading i have done Sandy...that lens is always held in very high regard. I have often read about it being sharper than the 2.8 shooting the same f/stop.

Wise choice.

Gus