Help With MC #3 Please

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello all! I have just returned from vacation and have spent some time today playing around with my MC #3 entry.

It really did not turn out how I was hoping. I was totally in the wrong spot, as far as capturing the fireworks was concerned. Most of the fireworks were behind a bunch of trees to the camera right. But I really liked my location as far as the castle and water are concerend. I love how I got a little reflection from the castle and fireworks.

However, when the fireworks started I heard a lady standing next to me say, I don't think the photographer knew what she was doing... I was a little embarrased.... then I said....O well.... life goes on.

This is what I managed to put together with three different photos that I took. What do you think? Am I missing something? Does something look...not right to you? Also, I used a desk top to process the photos but had to move it to my lap top to upload to the internet and the photo looks a lot different on the two monitors. The bushes look to bright for my taste here on my lap top but over on my desk top they looked darker, like I like them... Are they too bright or dark or just right... uhhhggg the stress :D

Thank you all sooooooo much!

A Magical Evening
474943005_xDkV4-L.jpg
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Judging from what I see here, the lady who made that comment didn't know what she was talking about. mwink.gif

On my monitor the brushwork looks fine. The only thing I noticed was that the castle is leaning toward the right. You need to straighten that and then I think you'll have a solid entry for the mega challenge.

I love the reflections you caught! clap.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Looks to me like you knew what you were doing. I love the reflection in the water.

On my desktop monitor (calibrated), no area of the bushes looks too light and some areas are quite dark. I might lighten the very darkest areas just a bit, but not too much since they are the frame for the photo and not the subject.

You might want to check that the castle is straight. It looks to me like it is tilted a bit to the right.

Finally, the small bit of bright light on the right side of the middle level of the castle looks like it is part of one of the fireworks but I can't figure out how it fits in. I'd think I'd clone it out.

Virginia

Email
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    The first thing I noticed was that slight lean to the castle. Other than that I think it is beautiful. Maybe you weren't in the spot everyone else chooses, that just gives you a shot most people don't see. I love the reflection in the water.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Agree with the others: ignore the lady who was next to you, straighten the tilt and sit back and enjoy a FABULOUS shot. The reflection just makes it!!

thumb.gifthumb
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thank you all so very much! iloveyou.gif
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Okay, how's this...
    475206048_C7CVo-L.jpg
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    That lady was an idiot! I often have the opposite problem - people assume I know what I'm doing! They line up their P&S right next to whatever shot I'm composing on my tripod and think they'll come away with a keeper. Ha! If they only knew...

It's a great shot, and I think you were right to stay where you were to get the reflections and have the strong vertical composition with the castle. I love how the reflection on the fireworks on the right "wiggle" in the water. The bushes don't appear too bright on my monitor FWIW.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    That lady was an idiot! I often have the opposite problem - people assume I know what I'm doing! They line up their P&S right next to whatever shot I'm composing on my tripod and think they'll come away with a keeper. Ha! If they only knew...

It's a great shot, and I think you were right to stay where you were to get the reflections and have the strong vertical composition with the castle. I love how the reflection on the fireworks on the right "wiggle" in the water. The bushes don't appear too bright on my monitor FWIW.

Like: totally!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 17, 2009
    You know what thats called Karrie don't you (refering to the lady)...its camera envy...lol. Anyway you did a super job here!