Options

appropriate processing software?

mdsdurangomdsdurango Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2009 in Finishing School
I'm lost!
A complete beginner. I have two point and shoot cameras - an older Nikon Coolpix 7900 and a new Panasonic LX3.
Both cameras came with a simple processing program; Picture Project came with the Nikon, Silkipix came with the Panasonic. They seem to be fairly simple processing programs and "gender specific", ie; each works only with the camera it came with.
I am not and have no (current) desire to become a professional, or even advanced amature, photographer. What I do want is to be able to take very good shots of residential architecture, inside and out (I'm a builder). For this I picked up the LX3 and have ordered the additional wide angle lens.
I assume that I will be asking a lot of future questions on this forum so thanks in advance for your help.
The first question is: What is the appropriate version of photoshop (or other software) for processing and editing RAW shots from the LX3?
I've heard of "stacking" and can see where this might be of bennifit. I don't know what else I should be sure is in the software. I will not need any motion or video editing or processing. I do have a web site but it is managed by a site developer. I do need to get her the pictures and she is miles away.
I've been searching and only becomming more confused.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Durango Colorado

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Depends to some extent on your operating system, and on how much you want to spend on post processing software.

Adobe Photoshop is uber expensive, and it is a real battle to become at ease with it. Camera RAW is needed for RAW conversion. There are some really fantastic plugins available for PS, but they too are very expensive. Elements is a great deal cheaper but more limited and as difficult to master in what it does as PS.

Corel Paint Shop Pro is similar, a little more intuitive, with more quick fixes, a lot less expensive, but you mostly have to work in 8 bit. I don't think it does RAW conversion.

LightZone is a favorite of mine for quick, easy adjustments and some really nice effects, is not expensive and uses 16 bit. It does RAW conversion.

DxO is rather quirky, but very comprehensive, and gives you the option of fully automatic adjustments to fully manual. It's expensive. Works in 16 bit. Does RAW conversion.

Bibble is very highly regarded, works in 16 bit, does RAW conversion, is not difficult to use, and not expensive. A new version 5 is being awaited with bated breath.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Get Lightroom
    After reading your requirements and limitiations, I suggest you stay away from Photoshop; it is not necessary for your deliverables and the learning curve will make you cry.
    Get Adobe Lightroom instead. Much easier, and covers a more complete workflow. It's still gonna take you a few months to figure stuff out, but you will get results much faster for your projects.
    Alternatives: If you have a Mac, iPhoto may really be all you need, or the software that comes with the LX3 may be sufficient.
    If it gets too time consuming or challenging, do what my contractor friends do with me: hire a photographer to capture your interiors and exteriors.

M