Canon 40D error 01

cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in Cameras
Says the camera isn't communicating with the lens and to clean the contacts. So I cleaned them really good and tried a few different lenses all with the same error. Would a firmware update fix this, or should I just send back to canon. Its 10 months old. At least I still have an XTi to shoot with.... still sucks though. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 16, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Says the camera isn't communicating with the lens and to clean the contacts. So I cleaned them really good and tried a few different lenses all with the same error. Would a firmware update fix this, or should I just send back to canon. Its 10 months old. At least I still have an XTi to shoot with.... still sucks though. Any help would be appreciated.

A firmware update might have some impact but, if the lens worked for some period of time before, it may not be the only solution.

Is this an image stabilized lens?

Are you using third-party batteries?

Is the lens working correctly on the second body?

How did you clean the contacts?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    A firmware update might have some impact but, if the lens worked for some period of time before, it may not be the only solution.

Is this an image stabilized lens?

Are you using third-party batteries?

Is the lens working correctly on the second body?

How did you clean the contacts?

Has the same issue with a 70-200 2.8 IS, tamron 17-50 2.8, and a canon 10-22mm They all worked fine untill the error, and all the lens work perfect on my XTi

Its with a canon battery, and I used an alcohol wipe to clean. Every thing looks brand new without any sticking what so ever.

ISO numbers display fine but fstop displays 00

I have firmware ver 1.0.5

Thanks
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 16, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    ... but fstop displays 00

That alone indicates a lack of connection between the camera and lens.

I use a new pencil with a pink eraser and burnish the tips of the contact pins with a light action of the eraser. Do not create eraser dust that can fall into the camera.

If that doesn't help then I think it's time to send the camera in to be repaired.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    That alone indicates a lack of connection between the camera and lens.

I use a new pencil with a pink eraser and burnish the tips of the contact pins with a light action of the eraser. Do not create eraser dust that can fall into the camera.

If that doesn't help then I think it's time to send the camera in to be repaired.

Thanks, Im packing her up now....