another try with OCF

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited February 18, 2009 in People
I'm very nervous to share more of my off-camera flash with umbrella shoot, but I need to finish editing and I'd really appreciate any feedback here. Really. I have an extremely small amount of experience shooting with off camera flash (or flash at all) and an even smaller amount of experience processing this sort of shot. How are the skin tones here? C&C please!

475116158_aiHXy-XL.jpg

2 (tried to lighten smile-line and eye shadows)
475251966_cPaYX-XL.jpg

3 (one more try to lighten shadows along smile-line and under eyes)
475904791_n22tv-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I have to say that the flash is a little harsh for my taste but take that for what it is worth! On the positive side...great job not getting any glare on the glasses! And the eyes are very bright and captivating... I like the relaxed pose. As far as processing... I would definately soften the deep line on the right (her left) side of the face.... Otherwise not to shabby Elaine! clap.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks, Sandy. Yes, the flash seems a bit "much," doesn't it? I think I'm learning quickly that one light for this particular situation isn't optimal. At least with my knowledge base it isn't. I did like her eyes and smile. When you say soften the deep line, do you mean the shadow along her smile line (from nose to corner of mouth)? Do you think just lightening that shadow would help?
    Elaine

edited February 16, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks, Sandy. Yes, the flash seems a bit "much," doesn't it? I think I'm learning quickly that one light for this particular situation isn't optimal. At least with my knowledge base it isn't. I did like her eyes and smile. When you say soften the deep line, do you mean the shadow along her smile line (from nose to corner of mouth)? Do you think just lightening that shadow would help?

Yes I am talking about the smile line. I would try to lighten it and see if that tones down the flashy look. I started out with one light and a rigid reflector and that worked pretty well. Now I have 4 lights and a reflector! I guess money in money out!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited February 16, 2009
    Is this any better, as far as the smile line shadow? The change is fairly subtle, but I think it's noticeable (?). I also lightened the shadows under her eyes.
    (I'm adding a larger version to the first post.)

475251966_cPaYX-M.jpg
    Elaine

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Is this any better, as far as the smile line shadow? The change is fairly subtle, but I think it's noticeable (?). I also lightened the shadows under her eyes.

Elaine, that's coming nicely! She does have gorgeous eyes, doesn't she?

Btw, you may already be WAY ahead of me on this (and apologies if I'm preaching to the far-more-experienced-choir) but I'm in love with the technique I read recently of using the clone stamp in the "lighten" mode for lines - I usually use about 20% (or less) opacity and go over them until I like the result. It's so much easier (and less obvious) than with the "normal" blending!!

I personally would take a little more out of the eye shadows, but that's just me -I remember you saying she wanted a very natural look. But I like what you've done so far! thumb.gif
    edited February 16, 2009
    Elaine wrote:

475251966_cPaYX-M.jpg

I still think it needs some more but it really is up to the subject. If it were me in the picture I would soften it much more to be just slightly different than the other side. But these are just personal likes. She might like it like that. I agree with divamum about the clone tool. I use it on it's own layer on lighten with the softest brush at 30%. If too strong you can decrease the opacity of the layer. I would also patch the dark area above the left eybrow (her right) But...... I am a digital retouch artist so I sometimes over "perfect"
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks, divamum and Sandy! I'll give it another go. This sort of editing is not my cup o' tea...lack of experience, know-how and a fear of going too far!
    Divamum...you are certainly not preaching to the far-more-experienced-choir! :D As far as I can tell, you know much more about processing than I do!!! Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how "normal" blending works. What I did was lasso the shadows on a new layer with a feathered edge of about 10px. Then I filled them with a color that was right next to, but outside of, the lasso. Then I turned the layer down to about 20-25% opacity. I saw a wedding photog share that method on his blog once and I've used it a few times. But I will definitely try what you shared!
    Elaine

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Hey Elaine, this is a very, very good go at OCF. I would not be ashamed/scared to share this!! You done goodthumb.gifclap

Two sets of comments ... lighting and PP

Lighting
    • The closer you get your light source, even umbies, to your subject, the softer will be the light. But, the closer your light source to your subject, the faster will be the light fall-off. There's a trade-off there. I think I would have moved your light a bit closer to your model Love here eyes, BTWiloveyou.gif
    • To mitigate that light fall-off, maybe use a white reflector on the leeward side (camera left) to fill the shadows a bit? This would soften the shadows and also smooth out the slight skin imperfection from which we all suffer. It will also tend to soften the very dark shadow under her left cheek created by her wonderful smile.
    • I like the brightness behind your model's head, whether it was done with light or in post doesn't matter, it's working well to seperate her hair from the background. I like that.
    Post ... not too much I would do - talking just to the second image here
    • You model has a wonderful smile - very friendly. Like me (and most of us?), her teeth can use just a touch of whitening.
    • You've already worked some under her eyes. I think I would take the shadows in the crease under her eyes another step lighter.
    edited February 17, 2009
    Hey Elaine, this is a very, very good go at OCF. I would not be ashamed/scared to share this!! You done goodthumb.gifclap

Two sets of comments ... lighting and PP

Lighting
    • The closer you get your light source, even umbies, to your subject, the softer will be the light. But, the closer your light source to your subject, the faster will be the light fall-off. There's a trade-off there. I think I would have moved your light a bit closer to your model Love here eyes, BTWiloveyou.gif
    • To mitigate that light fall-off, maybe use a white reflector on the leeward side (camera left) to fill the shadows a bit? This would soften the shadows and also smooth out the slight skin imperfection from which we all suffer. It will also tend to soften the very dark shadow under her left cheek created by her wonderful smile.
    • I like the brightness behind your model's head, whether it was done with light or in post doesn't matter, it's working well to seperate her hair from the background. I like that.
    Post ... not too much I would do - talking just to the second image here
    • You model has a wonderful smile - very friendly. Like me (and most of us?), her teeth can use just a touch of whitening.
    • You've already worked some under her eyes. I think I would take the shadows in the crease under her eyes another step lighter.

Thank you very much, Scott!

I've posted a third try in the first post. I did a tiny bit of dodging on her teeth and lifted the shadows a touch more under the eyes and along her smile-line. Does it still look "natural?" Have I gone too far or not far enough?

Thanks for your input!
    Elaine

edited February 17, 2009
    Alrighty...here's another one! Similar pose...different expression. Going for a bit more dramatic.
    I didn't touch the stray hairs on this one yet.
    And the skin smoothing needs help.
    But other than that? How am I doing?

475939943_aghru-XL.jpg
    Elaine

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Alrighty...here's another one! Similar pose...different expression. Going for a bit more dramatic.
    I didn't touch the stray hairs on this one yet.
    And the skin smoothing needs help.
    But other than that? How am I doing?

If you look at the above photo in PS, you will discover that it is too cool, as is your first set. SmugMug has a nice tutorial on skin tones and what the numbers should look like in PS. It's a common problem when shooting under lights. They also have some nice tutorials on how to fix'em too. In your first set...and this is just what it looks like to me...your subject has a forced grin, wide eyed, "so take the picture" look. She just doesn't look relaxed. The above post is a much better photograph of her, again in my opinion, and would be better yet, if she had a smile.

Below is the link to SmugMug's skin tone tutorial....

http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited February 18, 2009
    Thanks, Ed. I've referenced that tutorial on skin tones many times and it is helpful. When I look at her values, they seem to fall within range of what has worked for me in the past. (Maybe I'm always on the cool side? But that is something that I really try not to do.) She naturally has a somewhat ruddy complexion, so bumping up the yellow tones too far just doesn't look right to me. I definitely warmed up the white balance from the original. So, I guess I'm a bit perplexed. I will continue to look into it. Thanks for the input.
    Elaine

• ERueERue Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Were you using a reflector? I think that might soften some of the shadows on the left side.
    I think it looks nice!
    Erica
    40D | 50mm 1.8 | 28-75mm 2.8 | Metz 48 AF-1
    Erica Leigh Galleries
    edited February 18, 2009
    ERue wrote:
    Were you using a reflector? I think that might soften some of the shadows on the left side.
    I think it looks nice!

Yes, I was using a white foamcore board as a reflector on the left. It was all very make-shift and tight in my living room. For the first time ever, I wished for a studio-like space with some white seamless!
    Elaine