Options

used L glass?

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited May 28, 2005 in Cameras
quick question for you guys:

how do you feel about the used L glass? i have no worries about buying from here as through your posts and prior sales i feel a sense of trust and familiarity.

i have decided to pursue the purchase of a 400mmL 5.6 after much debate for wildlife shots and well lit day sports (i didn blame anything on ya 'gus, but just in case MLW reads these, dont answer the door if you see a small japanese lady with her hand behind her backne_nau.gif)

anywho, there is one of these bad boys on the FM board right now($900 USD)...
i bought my 200mm off there and i have mixed feelings about its sharpness/contrast vs my old 70-200f4

any thoughts/advice on used expensive glass?

-j

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    That's all I own. So, needless to say, I have no problems with it at all. A nice way to save a few hundred dollars.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    thanks sid. i'll check the seller's feedback. i've also requested some photos taken with the lens. hope he doesnt think im being a P.I.T.A.
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    quick question for you guys:

how do you feel about the used L glass? i have no worries about buying from here as through your posts and prior sales i feel a sense of trust and familiarity.

i have decided to pursue the purchase of a 400mmL 5.6 after much debate for wildlife shots and well lit day sports (i didn blame anything on ya 'gus, but just in case MLW reads these, dont answer the door if you see a small japanese lady with her hand behind her backne_nau.gif)

anywho, there is one of these bad boys on the FM board right now($900 USD)...
    i bought my 200mm off there and i have mixed feelings about its sharpness/contrast vs my old 70-200f4

any thoughts/advice on used expensive glass?

-j
    All of my lenses have been FM'd... I have yet to have a bad experience with their forum.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    400 5.6 L on the way! thanks for the advice guys.thumb.gif

-j
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005

-j
    You wont regret it mate thats for sure...mine is always on my 20D.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005

-j

clap.gif glad it worked out jeff!
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    The only lenses I have that I bought new were because I wanted them now and was too impatient too wait for a used one to appear either here, FM, or one of the retail sites that sell used.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    The FM site's main server has crashed, much better to stick with Dgrin :cry
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    its alive!!!
    the beast has arrived! got it 1 hour ago and its fricken huge.

looks good so far and auto focuses P.D.F. worst part is i cant really take it out for a spin at the moment as i have 6 more hours of pathology lectures to get through today. i'll give it the full test tomorrow with jwear at bolsa chica wetlands. now about that morning fog screwing with my light....
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    the beast has arrived! got it 1 hour ago and its fricken huge.

looks good so far and auto focuses P.D.F. worst part is i cant really take it out for a spin at the moment as i have 6 more hours of pathology lectures to get through today. i'll give it the full test tomorrow with jwear at bolsa chica wetlands. now about that morning fog screwing with my light....
    Jeff a warning...i left my lens cap on at Yosemite & extened the hood...jammed the hood ROCK SOLID !! half way out. It is going back to canon to fix. Got the cap of with finger nails but that hood aint goin' nowhere !!

I cant believe that canon would make something that allows this to happen so i suspect that it has picked up a bit of felt inside or something. It can't be a design fault as sooner or later every one does it (or is it just me that forgets to remove the lens cap ne_nau.gif )

Gus
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Jeff a warning...i left my lens cap on at Yosemite & extened the hood...jammed the hood ROCK SOLID !! half way out. It is going back to canon to fix. Got the cap of with finger nails but that hood aint goin' nowhere !!

I cant believe that canon would make something that allows this to happen so i suspect that it has picked up a bit of felt inside or something. It can't be a design fault as sooner or later every one does it (or is it just me that forgets to remove the lens cap ne_nau.gif )

Gus

Gus-

thanks for the warning man, almost did that very thing a minute ago in my excitement. hope you get it back soon. what service center does it have to go to?
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Gus-

thanks for the warning man, almost did that very thing a minute ago in my excitement. hope you get it back soon. what service center does it have to go to?
    Mate i havnt sent it off as yet because i bought a good friend a drivers seat in a 450hp race car at a pro circuit which is a few weeks away & i dont want to be there without this lens. I had all my gear insured & if it isnt covered (you know the little clauses they draw out of the type) then im happy to drop some clams on it just to get it back to how it was. It does not affect the performance at all as the hood is half way out but it make it hard to put in that sexy white case.

Gus