Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
my Galleries
http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707

Comments

• Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Very nice shots, would love to have access to a daytime shoot. Did you shoot horizontal and crop or both? I am working on my LAX skill set and among the problems of shooting at night I am not really sure which way to shot Vertical or Horizontal..

Thanks,
    David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com
  • Options
    oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Very nice shots, would love to have access to a daytime shoot. Did you shoot horizontal and crop or both? I am working on my LAX skill set and among the problems of shooting at night I am not really sure which way to shot Vertical or Horizontal..

Thanks,
    David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com

If action is down Field I shoot horizontal , If I am going for close in action I shoot vertical - I switch it up all game long
    There are no rules - sometimes the story is best told by shooting tight others by shooting loose
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    oldtime wrote:
    If action is down Field I shoot horizontal , If I am going for close in action I shoot vertical - I switch it up all game long
    There are no rules - sometimes the story is best told by shooting tight others by shooting loose

Nice ones Mark, looking forward to seeing the Dukies this year!
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    Nice ones Mark, looking forward to seeing the Dukies this year!

Thanks for looking Tim, Coaching HS JV this year plus my youngest is on varsity so lots of Lacrosse in my future between Duke , UNC, and HS
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    oldtime wrote:
    Great shots, although I don't love B&W renderings for sports -- just a matter of taste. Ivy League regular season starts on Saturday (clap.gif ), but after shooting two weekends of scrimmages, I'm starting to lean toward landscape shooting almost exclusively. I shot scrim Week 1 exclusively in portrait, and more often than not felt that the shots lacked context. Faces are important, but lax is a horizontal, frequently one-on-one sport, and the match-ups and contact are the most interesting part. You are miles ahead of me in every respect, but that's just how I'm thinking about it going into this season.

Side note: Brown is rumored to be playing at Duke in 2010!!! Maybe I'll meet you on the sideline in a year or so -- sure hope so anyway.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    KED wrote:
    Great shots, although I don't love B&W renderings for sports -- just a matter of taste. Ivy League regular season starts on Saturday (clap.gif ), but after shooting two weekends of scrimmages, I'm starting to lean toward landscape shooting almost exclusively. I shot scrim Week 1 exclusively in portrait, and more often than not felt that the shots lacked context. Faces are important, but lax is a horizontal, frequently one-on-one sport, and the match-ups and contact are the most interesting part. You are miles ahead of me in every respect, but that's just how I'm thinking about it going into this season.

Side note: Brown is rumored to be playing at Duke in 2010!!! Maybe I'll meet you on the sideline in a year or so -- sure hope so anyway.
    Thanks KED
    I try alot of different things shooting down field
    473811611_cAXzZ-L.jpg

wide around the goal-- I blew the horizons on this one
    473871607_CDcfi-L.jpg

473978215_EoYEo-L.jpg
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    oldtime wrote:
    Thanks KED
    I try alot of different things shooting down field
    Those are awesome shots that sort of reinforce my point (although please understand that I'm not trying to force a point on you): all, at the end of the day, are in landscape. Looks to me that had you been shooting in portrait originally (unless these are hugely cropped from portrait), you couldn't have gotten the drama of these images. And as to #2, of course you had to sacrifice horizon to get the whole substance of the shot! I'm glad to know that a pro like you is OK with that -- I sweat that all the time!

Even up close though, what I've found is that in portrait I end up missing context and just getting the player -- my schtick is the action, not the guy -- my audience isn't buying too much anyway :cry .

Anyway, we're all doing what works best for us in pursuit of something we love -- the season is upon us so good luck and have fun!!!!
  • Options
    hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    These are great shots! im loving the b/w mixup..theyre very cool. Awesome start to the year I look forward to more!
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    Okay I am really excited about all the LAX shots being posted lately. I have one question that seems that I have not been able to find much of an answer too, not by asking but looking at galleries etc. Do they play LAX much at night under the lights?? That is all that is available to me right now where I shoot and I was looking for some examples from up north or really anywhere. I am in Florida and the sport has only been accredited for a championship for this the second year by FHSAA. I understand faces and the helmet and such but does anyone have any examples of Nighttime Lacrosse?? We always see a ton of HS Football at night but the absence of LAX puzzled me.

As for my original question this thread has really opened my eyes on some different ways to shoot. Thank you!!
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I have one question that seems that I have not been able to find much of an answer too, not by asking but looking at galleries etc. Do they play LAX much at night under the lights?? .... I understand faces and the helmet and such but does anyone have any examples of Nighttime Lacrosse??
    Most high school lacrosse here in the Atlanta area is played in the evening, which this time of year means beginning at twilight and ending in full darkness. College lacrosse in the area is mostly played on weekend afternoon's, with a few night games here and there.

Here's a couple of shots taken at last night's season opener at one of the high schools that I cover.

(There ought to be a rule against the visiting team wearing black uniforms at a night game.)

476656391_X5zdd-L.jpg

476656276_kEY67-L.jpg

476656488_SfvSV-L.jpg

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    KMCC wrote:
    (There ought to be a rule against the visiting team wearing black uniforms at a night game.)

Amen on that I will add dark red or burgundy.

Love the shots, do you use flash at all??
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Amen on that I will add dark red or burgundy.

Love the shots, do you use flash at all??
    I generally do not use a flash when shooting sports. These were taken in Manual mode, ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/400 shutter speed with a 400mm lens.

I managed to get a few faces in these shots; they were all taken from ~30 yards or so; shooting from a sitting position on a short stool.

Once it gets really dark, the ability to capture faces under the helmets drops off rapidly with distance. After dark and under (dim) stadium lights, I have much more success with that kind of shot using the 70-200mm and shooting action less than 20 yards away.

But the action doesn't always come to you, which makes the 400mm nice to have.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I was just thinking that I hadn't seen any postings from Oldtime lately.

Damn! What a return!

My favorite has to be #7. That guy shooting is right on the crease--say about 4 yards from the goalie. The ball was in the air between him and goalie for about one billionth of a second. How you caught it in between the two is beyond me. Simply amazing. Oh yeah, the picture is tack sharp, perfectly exposed, blah, blah, blah. Amazing!
    Regards

Will
    edited February 19, 2009
    Kent...you lucky dog...my daughter's opening game was rained out yesterday due to the storms in Atlanta..I have not shot lacrosse in months.