It's been a while: Maternity

len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in People
I haven't posted anything in a long while. Here are some photos from a recent maternity shoot. CC welcome.

412352318_73Ni5-L.jpg

412352456_pxGfV-M.jpg

412415072_kgCsA-M.jpg

412415267_XHm5J-M.jpg

415424698_kwQFZ-L.jpg

415425406_iYM69-M.jpg

415621109_twuxm-L.jpg

415621775_pSgrS-L.jpg
Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L

Comments

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I love the pictures themselves, the clarity, lighting etc... But for me.... It seems more like an engagement shoot. IMO maternity shots should be about the baby (the belly) and none of these pictures seem to be about that. Like number 3 would be better if someone were touching the belly. When I look at it I don't see any emotional connection almost more like a disinterest. Even in #8 would be better served if she had her free hand on her belly. Take this with a grain of salt as I have worked as a nurse in labor and delivery for a very long time and there it is all about the belly! :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I love the pictures themselves, the clarity, lighting etc... But for me.... It seems more like an engagement shoot. IMO maternity shots should be about the baby (the belly)...

I definitely understand your point. I might even agree with it a little. The question for me is, how can I capture a young couple about to have a child without making it look like a cliche maternity shoot. How can I find ways to focus on the belly while avoiding the heart around the belly-button shots. (I mean no offense to photographers who incorporate that shot or type of shot into their sessions. Some do it very well. But frankly, they do nothing for me.) I prefer to strive toward photographing the couple's style and personality at a point in their lives when they happen to be pregnant.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    len20 wrote:
    I definitely understand your point. I might even agree with it a little. The question for me is, how can I capture a young couple about to have a child without making it look like a cliche maternity shoot. How can I find ways to focus on the belly while avoiding the heart around the belly-button shots. (I mean no offense to photographers who incorporate that shot or type of shot into their sessions. Some do it very well. But frankly, they do nothing for me.) I prefer to strive toward photographing the couple's style and personality at a point in their lives when they happen to be pregnant.

I do see where you are coming from....and understand your concept. I have done the hand heart thing on the belly by request but there can be a happy medium. I just feel from these particular pictures that the dad to be seems detached. He could be looking up at the belly or the wife. He could have just layed his hand on hers or something of the sort to get some feeling. I am just not feeling the togetherness that signifies pregnancy. I also mean no offense. Everyone has their own style and I wouldn't probably have even said anything if you hadn't welcomed c/c. I try to only respond to posts when I have something positive to say..... And... I did that here as far as the technical aspect but I couldn't do that without also mentioning what was my first instinct when I viewed the photos. What really counts in the end is if they like them and spend their money!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I do see where you are coming from....and understand your concept. I have done the hand heart thing on the belly by request but there can be a happy medium. I just feel from these particular pictures that the dad to be seems detached. He could be looking up at the belly or the wife. He could have just layed his hand on hers or something of the sort to get some feeling. I am just not feeling the togetherness that signifies pregnancy. I also mean no offense. Everyone has their own style and I wouldn't probably have even said anything if you hadn't welcomed c/c. I try to only respond to posts when I have something positive to say..... And... I did that here as far as the technical aspect but I couldn't do that without also mentioning what was my first instinct when I viewed the photos. What really counts in the end is if they like them and spend their money!

I like a good discussion, Sandy. I appreciate your thoughts. Here's another shot that I thought was fun just from the look on dad's face. There are more in this gallery that may be more along the line of traditional maternity photos. I just didn't like them as much.

415424306_ggqeY-L.jpg
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Super sweet, love this set! iloveyou.gifclap.gif