Options

Digital Velvia Presets for Lightroom and ACR

gmitchel850gmitchel850 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Finishing School
Two new presets are available. One for Lightroom 2 and the other for Adobe Camera Raw 5.

Both are color adjustment presets for giving photographs a Digital Velvia appearance.

http://www.thelightsright.com/TLRDigitalVelviaLRPresets
http://www.thelightsright.com/TLRDigitalVelviaACRPresets

You can adjust overall saturation, for autumn colors (reds, oranges, yellows, browns), or for landscape colors (greens, blues, aquas, and cyans).

Comments are welcome.

These are free to everyone! Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mitch

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Thanks looks like a fun one to use for that classic Fuji look....that I miss
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Thanks looks like a fun one to use for that classic Fuji look....that I miss

So I setup a camera with Velvia and a DSLR shooting the same scene, process the chrome and apply the preset and they match?

Or there's a preset that makes the image look more saturated or whatever, its named Velvia?
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    So I clicked the link for the zip file and downloaded it. Now I have like 31 files that downloaded in a folder. Are each of these a different preset? I opened one of them in LR and applied it to a picture, it made adjustments. Does that mean I need to have all of them in LR? That'd be a whole bunch of presets...
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2009
    So I clicked the link for the zip file and downloaded it. Now I have like 31 files that downloaded in a folder. Are each of these a different preset? I opened one of them in LR and applied it to a picture, it made adjustments. Does that mean I need to have all of them in LR? That'd be a whole bunch of presets...

You need to load the presets in Lightroom. You have a couple of choices:

(1) You can select individual presets and load the ones you want. You do that from the Lightroom Develop interface. Right-click on any Presets folder and select the option Import... to add a preset. I suggest you make a new folder for the presets. I called mine TLR Digital Velvia. The option for a new folder is under the Develop menu item.

(2) You can add the whole collection of presets as a folder to folder where Lightroom stores presets. You'll find that under Edit | Preferences | Presets | Show Lightroom Presets Folder...
    arodney wrote:
    So I setup a camera with Velvia and a DSLR shooting the same scene, process the chrome and apply the preset and they match?

Or there's a preset that makes the image look more saturated or whatever, its named Velvia?

I know you post a lot here, Andrew. That's no license for picking fights. ;)

I'll decline to accept the bait.

This forum is better when people are constructive. :)

Cheers,

Mitch
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    I know you post a lot here, Andrew. That's no license for picking fights. ;)

I'm not here to fight either. Is the question not legitimate?

If I make a preset that has a sat boost and other rendering instructions and call it Velvia, how does this differ from yours? Its about naming conventions really. Or maybe you did something that would be quite seller, found a way to create digitally the spectral response of Velvia although I kind of doubt it. So again, what makes it Velvia instead of Ekatcrhome with more saturation or for that matter, just a pull on some sliders with the name Velvia?

Assuming no response, we can only assume the later.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    I'm not here to fight either. Is the question not legitimate?

If I make a preset that has a sat boost and other rendering instructions and call it Velvia, how does this differ from yours? Its about naming conventions really. Or maybe you did something that would be quite seller, found a way to create digitally the spectral response of Velvia although I kind of doubt it. So again, what makes it Velvia instead of Ekatcrhome with more saturation or for that matter, just a pull on some sliders with the name Velvia?

Assuming no response, we can only assume the later.

A naming convention is a method of naming products so that users can understand or identify a product quickly. Let's not quibble over semantics.

I wonder whom the "we" speaks of? Certainly not me...I'll do my own assuming, thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    A naming convention is a method of naming products so that users can understand or identify a product quickly.

Identify it to do what exactly in this context?

OK, I'm quite sure what the preset does and doesn't do concerning a film stock of a specific name.

So what made you decide other than increasing either Vibrance and/or Saturation, this mimics Velvia versus me or someone else just doing this and saving it as a preset?
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    Identify it to do what exactly in this context?

OK, I'm quite sure what the preset does and doesn't do concerning a film stock of a specific name.

So what made you decide other than increasing either Vibrance and/or Saturation, this mimics Velvia versus me or someone else just doing this and saving it as a preset?

Given our previous interaction, it sounded like a effort to see if I'd argue back. But I thank you for reframing my interpretation, Andrew. ;)

I used the term Digital Velvia only because it's common convention for actions and presets that boost saturation. Fred Mirnda, for example, had Digital Velvia actions long before I started making Photoshop actions.

I am not claiming that the presets have the photographic spectrum of Fuji Velvia film.

The presets that increase reds, yellows, browns would be more consistent with Kodachrome. Those that increase blues, greens, and cyans would be more consistent with Ektachrome. But, again, I'm not making any claim that the presets mimic the spectral qualities of those films. ;)

Anyone could make a set of presets that use Saturation and/or Vibrance adjustments and call the Digital Velvia effects. I have no problem with that. ;)

If you're asking what's so special about these presets, my quick answer is, "Nothing." I offer them to the community as a convenience, not a major technical achievement.;)

Cheers,

Mitch
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    Given our previous interaction, it sounded like a effort to see if I'd argue back. But I thank you for reframing my interpretation, Andrew. ;)

I used the term Digital Velvia only because it's common convention for actions and presets that boost saturation. Fred Mirnda, for example, had Digital Velvia actions long before I started making Photoshop actions.

I am not claiming that the presets have the photographic spectrum of Fuji Velvia film.

The presets that increase reds, yellows, browns would be more consistent with Kodachrome. Those that increase blues, greens, and cyans would be more consistent with Ektachrome. But, again, I'm not making any claim that the presets mimic the spectral qualities of those films. ;)

Anyone could make a set of presets that use Saturation and/or Vibrance adjustments and call the Digital Velvia effects. I have no problem with that. ;)

If you're asking what's so special about these presets, my quick answer is, "Nothing." I offer them to the community as a convenience, not a major technical achievement.;)

Very good, thanks for the explanation.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    It might be interesting to build such look effects as a DNG profile using the new DNG profile editor.

Downside, you'd be making a specific profile for a camera type (Canon 5D). Upside is you'd be creating this look prior to all the presets and sliders above, its using a 3D lookup table hence more control in its application to the data and your ability to set the effects. You could set it as a default for all such imported images or just based on a camera serial number and set ISO.

The DNG profile editor is an advanced tool but designed just for this kind of task.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    It might be interesting to build such look effects as a DNG profile using the new DNG profile editor.

Downside, you'd be making a specific profile for a camera type (Canon 5D). Upside is you'd be creating this look prior to all the presets and sliders above, its using a 3D lookup table hence more control in its application to the data and your ability to set the effects. You could set it as a default for all such imported images or just based on a camera serial number and set ISO.

The DNG profile editor is an advanced tool but designed just for this kind of task.

I am quite partial to the Adobe Landscape beta profile for Canon RAW files with ACR and LR, precisely because the starting point for the saturation is slightly higher.

Cheers,

Mitch