Something you may have never seen before! Rainbow Eucalyptus Trees!

The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited February 20, 2009 in Landscapes
Rainbow Eucalyptus Trees: These are real trees...just Google it if you don't believe me! =)

I was in Hawaii (Maui) in December and just so happened to come across this tree that in my wild most dreams I could not have imagined. They were breath taking! They looked like someone had painted them....The colors were like non I've ever seen in nature. I hope you enjoy these and are inspired to find some for your self because I know they inspired me to keep exploring with my camera....because you never know what's just around the corner if you take the time to look! I know very little about them so if you know something please share it with me!!

The only "photoshoping" that was done to these photos was to correct the exposure. No adding of colors or layer masking of any kind! Just God's own creation!

If you'd like to see more of Hawaii..http://samswartz.smugmug.com/Sams%20Most%20Recent%20Images

453014486_sFeLQ-M.jpg

453014842_xDMAb-M.jpg

438295478_JdXvD-M.jpg

453014713_4k7qJ-M.jpg

453014626_HvMQC-M.jpg

438298652_aGCvm-M.jpg

453015119_VfcUK-M.jpg

438292766_5LxJP-M.jpg

453014999_qxoVW-M.jpg

438299342_DaYLy-M.jpg
The Wild Eye

Canon 1D Mark II, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, 1.4X, 600mm FD & 1.4X FD.

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Gorgeous colors! I've never heard of this before but they look lovely. Just another reason to visit Hawaii, I suppose. As if photographers don't already have a million excuses. :D

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Wow I never heard of or seen that. Thanks for posting , I've learned something

Rags
    Rags
  • The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Gorgeous colors! I've never heard of this before but they look lovely. Just another reason to visit Hawaii, I suppose. As if photographers don't already have a million excuses. :D

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif

Yeah just make it a million and one now!!
    The Wild Eye

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Great seriesthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Are the leaves the standard greyish bluish color of the standard Eucalyptus tree from OZ????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    wow, what interesting colors.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Definitely have never seen those before. The colors are amazing! :wow
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Beautiful!! I like #6 and #7.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Nice pics!

I think there's a huge number of different types of eucalypts. Some of the gum trees in Australia have similarly colorful trunks.

The British who colonised Australia in the 18th century liked to think it was like a negative of Britain. They said for example that while in Britain the leaves of trees were bright and the trunks dark, in Australia the leaves were dark and the trunks bright. And that while the trees in Britain shed their leaves, the trees in Australia shed their bark.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Super cool series.
    Steve

Website
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Awesome shots, Sam! And there's a ton more great ones in your Hawaii gallery too!!

Time for me to save up for a Hawaii trip... :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Awesome! I have a few from there, but only with a P&S. These are really sharp did you make it over to the bamboo forest(just up the road)?
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Rainbow Eucalyptus Trees: These are real trees...just Google it if you don't believe me! =)

I was in Hawaii (Maui) in December and just so happened to come across this tree that in my wild most dreams I could not have imagined. They were breath taking! They looked like someone had painted them....The colors were like non I've ever seen in nature. I hope you enjoy these and are inspired to find some for your self because I know they inspired me to keep exploring with my camera....because you never know what's just around the corner if you take the time to look! I know very little about them so if you know something please share it with me!!

Hi Sam,

I almost posted some similar shots a few months ago. 'Gobsmacked' by all the fall colour posts from the Northern Hemisphere, I thought about showing the Oz spring colour in the trees but never got round to it. However, your shots are better than the ones I took anyway.

Eucalyptus trees are evergreen, so we never get the autumn colour in the leaves. What you have identified is that smooth trunked eucalypts shed their bark. The ones in your photographs do it in strips over a long period. With others like the 'Lemon Scented Gum', the bark slowly turns grey and then splits open over the whole tree and falls off over a period of a couple of weeks leaving fresh yellow/pale green bark underneath. The 'Spotted Gum' is even more spectacular - the bark turns a mottled pink/russett colour before splitting and falling off.

As you can imaging, all this bark falling off creates a very high fuel load on the forest floor - hence the fires in Victoria.

Cheers, Richard.
    (Perth-Australia)
    edited February 19, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Awesome! I have a few from there, but only with a P&S. These are really sharp did you make it over to the bamboo forest(just up the road)?

yeah the bamboo was great! But I got there toward the end of the day so I didn't have the light i wanted.
    439819508_zGRH5-M.jpg

453012983_HhzGF-M.jpg

here are a few more... http://samswartz.smugmug.com/gallery/6833929_mac3U
    The Wild Eye

www.SamSwartz.Net
    edited February 19, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi Sam,

I almost posted some similar shots a few months ago. 'Gobsmacked' by all the fall colour posts from the Northern Hemisphere, I thought about showing the Oz spring colour in the trees but never got round to it. However, your shots are better than the ones I took anyway.

Eucalyptus trees are evergreen, so we never get the autumn colour in the leaves. What you have identified is that smooth trunked eucalypts shed their bark. The ones in your photographs do it in strips over a long period. With others like the 'Lemon Scented Gum', the bark slowly turns grey and then splits open over the whole tree and falls off over a period of a couple of weeks leaving fresh yellow/pale green bark underneath. The 'Spotted Gum' is even more spectacular - the bark turns a mottled pink/russett colour before splitting and falling off.

As you can imaging, all this bark falling off creates a very high fuel load on the forest floor - hence the fires in Victoria.

Cheers, Richard.
    (Perth-Australia)

WOW THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST!!!

This is very insightful! I love these trees and have tried to find more info about them....so thank you! So this is a rainbow eucalyptus or a "spotted gum" because in my research i've found that this is also called a "gum" tree. I'm just wondering if i need to try and find another tree out there!! =)

thanks again!! Do you know of any site or books with more info?
    The Wild Eye

www.SamSwartz.Net
    edited February 19, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Awesome shots, Sam! And there's a ton more great ones in your Hawaii gallery too!!

Time for me to save up for a Hawaii trip... :D

Thanks!

It's cheap to travel to Hawaii right now...."Hawaii cheap" that is!!!

IT IS AMAZING!! I'm still trying to find a way to move there.....it it's a bit of a drive from Nebraska...;-)
    The Wild Eye

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    WOW THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST!!!

This is very insightful! I love these trees and have tried to find more info about them....so thank you! So this is a rainbow eucalyptus or a "spotted gum" because in my research i've found that this is also called a "gum" tree. I'm just wondering if i need to try and find another tree out there!! =)

thanks again!! Do you know of any site or books with more info?

Hi Sam,

Gum tree is a generic term to describe any Eucalypt. I do not know what the exact name is of the tree that you have photographed - I shall do some research for you. If you do a Google Images search for 'Snow Gum' you will find some similar looking bark - but the trunks are more gnarlled than in your shots. Below is a Spotted Gum (Eucalyptus Maculata) in its spring colour. The old bark is pealing off showing the fresh bark underneath.

Cheers, Richard.

PS Loved your bear shots in the other post. clap.gif

3094649425_080209b54b_b.jpg
    edited February 20, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi Sam,

Gum tree is a generic term to describe any Eucalypt. I do not know what the exact name is of the tree that you have photographed - I shall do some research for you. If you do a Google Images search for 'Snow Gum' you will find some similar looking bark - but the trunks are more gnarlled than in your shots. Below is a Spotted Gum (Eucalyptus Maculata) in its spring colour. The old bark is pealing off showing the fresh bark underneath.

Cheers, Richard.

PS Loved your bear shots in the other post. clap.gif

Thanks a ton Richard! You are quite insightful on the topic! do you have some of these trees around you? Why do you know so much about them?

That is quite the shot! Where did you shoot this tree?

The bark on mine were pealing. I did a bunch of Googleing on the "eucalyptus" trees in general and the only thing that came up remotely close to what I had was the Rainbow and they were very close.

I will be looking forward to more of your insight!!

The bears were a tad more fun to shoot than the trees but when I was shooting the trees I felt like I had discovered something new so it was a thrill all on it's own!!

Sam
    The Wild Eye

www.SamSwartz.Net