A walk around Melbourne

FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Landscapes
I'm in Melbourne for work at the moment and on Sunday I jumped on a tram and went shooting.

These shots are from Chapel Street, Prahran & Lygon Street, Carlton & Melbourne CBD.

1) Chapel St, Prahran
473881318_MntiH-XL.jpg

2) Chapel St, Prahran
473882121_CbTLt-XL.jpg

3) Chapel St, Prahran
473882951_KkvPW-XL.jpg

4) Chapel St, Prahran
473884781_jWcbz-XL.jpg

5) Chapel St, Prahran
473886425_QDnTg-XL.jpg

6) Carlton
473887754_cnM8C-XL.jpg

7) State Libary - Swanston Street, Melbourne
473892861_S8vA3-XL.jpg

8) State Libary - Swanston Street, Melbourne
473897557_Dy9PK-XL.jpg

9) Flinders Street Station, corner Flinders & Swanston Street
473913447_eENCF-XL.jpg

10) Federation Square - corner Flinders & Swanston Street
473918961_LfA9e-XL.jpg

11) Melbourne City skyline
473920868_K8YSD-XL.jpg

12) Melbourne City skyline
473920275_qcYJv-XL.jpg

13) Melbourne City skyline
473920535_dVEUV-XL.jpg

I'd love some C&C on these as I'm pretty happy with them but want to know how I could have made them better. However I notice I'm a bit lazy, like not crossing the street to get a better shot of the church.

Cheers
Paul
“I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Thanks for the tour mate.thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Very nice tour thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Thanks for posting these, Paul. Melbourne is my hometown (well, one of them, anyway mwink.gif).

You've got some nice views here, and they capture some of the qualities of the place - relaxed, sociable, affluent, an eye to the past and the future, and to high quality of product and experience. The big influence of the south Pacific climate on the lifestyle of the south eastern seaboard is also apparent.

More careful and deliberate composition, more careful shooting (there are some where the sky is blown out), and especially some work on colour and IQ generally in post, would improve many of these a lot, I think.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Thanks for posting these, Paul. Melbourne is my hometown (well, one of them, anyway mwink.gif).

You've got some nice views here, and they capture some of the qualities of the place - relaxed, sociable, affluent, an eye to the past and the future, and to high quality of product and experience. The big influence of the south Pacific climate on the lifestyle of the south eastern seaboard is also apparent.

More careful and deliberate composition, more careful shooting (there are some where the sky is blown out), and especially some work on colour and IQ generally in post, would improve many of these a lot, I think.

Neil

Thanks Neil. I'm yet to do start doing any post work on my shots, including crop, colour. Also I think I'm feeling a bit self-conscious when I'm out shooting. I've done the day in Melb and the day in Sydney and I have that feeling that I'm being watched and it puts me off a bit. So when a shot might look better crouching or standing in the way of people I feel weird. The motorshow in Melb is coming up next week and I plan to go to that, lots of togs out for that and I wont feel so self-conscious.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
    My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    FL00DY wrote:
    I think I'm feeling a bit self-conscious when I'm out shooting... and it puts me off a bit.

rolleyes1.gif I think that's a common experience. Well, one technique to meet a phobia thing like this is flooding. Get dressed in your most notice-attracting clobber, drape and attach all the photographic gear you have, your biggest lens - a 70-200 f2.8 would be ideal, and go out there and do the poser thing 100% and generally get in everyone's way! Next time you go out as your ordinary self you won't feel a thing! mwink.gifDclap.gif
    FL00DY wrote:
    The motorshow in Melb is coming up next week

Wish I was there!!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I feel you did avery good job capturing the mood and culture of the partsd of the city you showed us......there is one recurring themein your shots thatneeds addressing......buildings are leaning, but so is the forground......meanigyour camera is not level:D ..... this can be fixed a\nd should be fixed pre shoot.....use a tripod with a bubble level built into the head........I noticed you say you have yet to start doing ANY pp'ing......so does that mean you are shooting in jpg only or are you shooting in raw and just converting to jpg witout any other processing??

You photos aren't bad by any means but with a touch of pp'ing could be really great. You could straighten most of these shots with Adobe LightRoom 2.......for 99.9% of all my processing is doen with LR2....unless there is something really wrong and I need theextra power of PhotoShop or I decide to take a photo into another realm of an alternate reality.

Keep shooting and posting.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website