Options

Adjusting images to fit standard sizes

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Another embarrassing moment as I reveal my patchy knowledge :cry:D

Let's say you have a pic you want to sell which was cropped in post without thought to aspect ratios of standard size prints (but in that ballpark). The image therefore has a non-standard aspect ratio, but you want it to be available for printing without it having to be cropped.

What is the best way to squeeze, or expand, the image, into the standard aspect ratio, without risking loss of IQ?

Thanks.

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Another embarrassing moment as I reveal my patchy knowledge :cry:D

Let's say you have a pic you want to sell which was cropped in post without thought to aspect ratios of standard size prints (but in that ballpark). The image therefore has a non-standard aspect ratio, but you want it to be available for printing without it having to be cropped.

What is the best way to squeeze, or expand, the image, into the standard aspect ratio, without risking loss of IQ?
    Hi Neil,

We'll never squeeze or deform a photo. The only option is the no crop option in our cart that would make the photo fit on the print size. To compensate for the aspect ratio difference, we would add white borders on two sides of the photo. You can see an example here.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Hi Neil,

We'll never squeeze or deform a photo. The only option is the no crop option in our cart that would make the photo fit on the print size. To compensate for the aspect ratio difference, we would add white borders on two sides of the photo. You can see an example here.

Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian. I understand what you are saying.

I guess now when I crop I am going to be much more careful what is happening with the aspect ratio!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    HamSmugglerHamSmuggler Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Thanks Sebastian. I understand what you are saying.

I guess now when I crop I am going to be much more careful what is happening with the aspect ratio!

Here's a question related to this - How would one print a 2x2 image on a 4x6 print (with white all around the sides). With previous services I've had to manually crop to 2x2 and then add white canvas around the 2x2 to create what appears to be a 4x6 image.

Example:

480535477_4n3e7-O.jpg

I'd like to be able to post the original image and have the customer be able to order it as a 2x2 but this is not offered.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Yeah put it on a 4x6 canvas. Just like that.