Options

Opening JPG in CS4

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in Finishing School
In a recent thread I was told - 'Ctrl + O will open any JPG, Tiff or CR2(raw) in ACR via Photoshop'. I have tried this, first of all I will bring up Photoshop CS4 hit Ctrl + 'O' and this brings up 'My Documents' I select a JPG image and hoping it will open ACR but it just skips ACR and opens in Photoshop. I find the Raw images will open in ACR no problem. I always shoot raw. Am I doing it wrong?
I have no problem with using Ctrl + 'R' in Bridge. However, I have never been in the habit of using Bridge with CS3 as I never experienced any problems opening JPGS into ACR, providing the File Handling box was checked in Preferences. I would love to get to the bottom of this so your help will really be appreciated.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Why do you want to edit a JPG file in ACR? Why just not edit it in Photoshop? ne_nau.gif

To my knowledge ACR was designed for editing raw images from the camera so that you can make adjustments with them just like a camera would: change exposure settings, white balance, etc. To me ACR is similar to playing with the camera itself, except you're sitting at the computer.

When a file has been converted to JPG your camera's settings have been applied to the photo and can no longer be changed. This is why your JPG photo opens in Photoshop and not in ACR.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Why do you want to edit a JPG file in ACR? Why just not edit it in Photoshop? ne_nau.gif

When a file has been converted to JPG your camera's settings have been applied to the photo and can no longer be changed. This is why your JPG photo opens in Photoshop and not in ACR.

Because ACR has a bunch of very good non-destructive tools, I have used it several times for raw-preprocesing and final touch-up both (ACR-Photoshop-ACR flow). It will happily work on any image format that comes out of a camera: raw including dng, jpg and tiff.

You can open a jpg into ACR through Bridge. However, after you've opened and edited it in ACR once, it'll open into it without help from Bridge (at long as the metadata is there).
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

Maybe to use tools specific to ACR...like the adjustment brush. A very cool tool, I might add!mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

To my knowledge ACR was designed for editing raw images from the camera so that you can make adjustments with them just like a camera would: change exposure settings, white balance, etc. To me ACR is similar to playing with the camera itself, except you're sitting at the computer.

Hi Richters,
    Thanks for replying. I much prefer the basics in ACR the sliders etc before moving into Photoshop. If I go through Bridge and hit Ctrl + 'R' I can bring JPGs, TIFFS and CR2 up in ACR.
    As I initially said when using CS3 I could first of all alter a raw image in ACR and then make it into a JPG and if I wanted could bring that JPG back into ACR with no problems and do any further alterations to it if need be. I see a big improvement with ACR in CS4 but as I say it is a nuisance not being able to bring a JPG into ACR in photoshop because it means going through Bridge which is time consuming. If you see a previous thread I submitted CS4 Problems you will see there is a way to do it by using Ctrl +'O' in photoshop.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Maybe to use tools specific to ACR...like the adjustment brush. A very cool tool, I might add!mwink.gif

Yes Ric after seeing your video the adjustment brush really is a cool tool. As I have said no problem putting a JPG into ACR from photoshop in CS3. I feel a lot of my JPG's could be made better after seeing what that adjustment brush is capable of doing. But it is a nuisance having to go through Bridge when I have been told Ctrl + 'O' will do JPG's TIFFS and CR2's from photoshop. As I have said when I try Ctrl +'O' it just skips ACR and brings it up in photoshop but I may not be doing it right.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Because ACR has a bunch of very good non-destructive tools, I have used it several times for raw-preprocesing and final touch-up both (ACR-Photoshop-ACR flow).

Kind of sort of....

Its not non destructive in that the new iteration undergoes data loss compared to the original. There's no free lunch here unless you're starting from Raw data.

That said, there are advantages do doing this work in ACR/LightRoom versus Photoshop. For one, the original data is take and converted to a "new document**" in 16-bit ProPhoto RGB for all processing. Its linear encoded since these are Raw converters that happen to deal with gamma corrected rendered images once converted. There are processing advantages of working with linear data.

Next, all the edits are simply parametric instructions (metadata), the ACR engine applies them in the optimal order no matter the order the user applies them. If you've ever placed adjustment layers in the wrong order and saw an odd result, you know that the order is important.

The process is very fast, you're not altering pixels until you tell the product to build new pixels along with the instructions from the original data source.

You have unlimited history, even after you quit the app.

You can export any iteration of pixels by simply altering the parametric edits. In Photoshop, the equivalent is adjustment layers which make the document bigger and slower.

** the new document is created upon export. That's when all the heavy lifting takes place. Its JIT (just in time) processing.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    Kind of sort of....

Its not non destructive in that the new iteration undergoes data loss compared to the original. There's no free lunch here unless you're starting from Raw data.

You're right, what I meant was that the edits in ACR aren't rendered into the original image, it's like working with smart filters.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    Kind of sort of....

That said, there are advantages do doing this work in ACR/LightRoom versus Photoshop. For one, the original data is take and converted to a "new document**" in 16-bit ProPhoto RGB for all processing. Its linear encoded since these are Raw converters that happen to deal with gamma corrected rendered images once converted. There are processing advantages of working with linear data.

Next, all the edits are simply parametric instructions (metadata), the ACR engine applies them in the optimal order no matter the order the user applies them. If you've ever placed adjustment layers in the wrong order and saw an odd result, you know that the order is important.

The process is very fast, you're not altering pixels until you tell the product to build new pixels along with the instructions from the original data source.

You have unlimited history, even after you quit the app.

You can export any iteration of pixels by simply altering the parametric edits. In Photoshop, the equivalent is adjustment layers which make the document bigger and slower.

** the new document is created upon export. That's when all the heavy lifting takes place. Its JIT (just in time) processing.

Thanks for replying Andrew but from what you have said does not appear to give a solution to my problem.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for replying Andrew but from what you have said does not appear to give a solution to my problem.
    Regards
    Bob

Check your ACR preferences as well as Photoshop for how JPEGs get edited (Photoshop or ACR).
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    Check your ACR preferences as well as Photoshop for how JPEGs get edited (Photoshop or ACR).

Hey Andrew,
    I have looked at Preferences under Edit in photoshop CS4 and can you please tell me which boxes should or should not be checked. Where do I go to check the preferences in ACR.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hey Andrew,
    I have looked at Preferences under Edit in photoshop CS4 and can you please tell me which boxes should or should not be checked. Where do I go to check the preferences in ACR.
    Regards
    Bob

File Handling. There's a button that will set the ACR preferences for JPEG handling.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    File Handling. There's a button that will set the ACR preferences for JPEG handling.

Hey Andrew,
    Well I never I have finally got there and and you have solved my problem, it is working fine. The File handling is somewhat different from CS3. I really appreciate your kind help and thank you.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Because ACR has a bunch of very good non-destructive tools, I have used it several times for raw-preprocesing and final touch-up both (ACR-Photoshop-ACR flow). It will happily work on any image format that comes out of a camera: raw including dng, jpg and tiff.

You can open a jpg into ACR through Bridge. However, after you've opened and edited it in ACR once, it'll open into it without help from Bridge (at long as the metadata is there).
    :wow Didn't realize that! Thanks for clarifying. Now I can't wait to get home and play with that. mwink.gif We have a Canon Elph that does not do RAW and it would be nicer to do quick edits in ACR rather than PS for that.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    :wow Didn't realize that! Thanks for clarifying. Now I can't wait to get home and play with that. mwink.gif We have a Canon Elph that does not do RAW and it would be nicer to do quick edits in ACR rather than PS for that.

You can learn something new every day on here Linda. Its great to be amongst so many knowledgable and helpful people.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    You can learn something new every day on here Linda. Its great to be amongst so many knowledgable and helpful people.
    Regards
    Bob

You're absolutely right! I was just thinking the exact same thing and how to word it when I came upon your post. rolleyes1.gif

Am getting ready to play with those JPG's shortly. mwink.gif