Some recent work

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited February 23, 2009 in People
More studio shots from Sunday. Since there have been many threads on lighting, set ups, etc., thought to share these as some examples. Some are natural light, some w/1 AB800 and reflector. I can expound should any care to know.

474794204_LNFP5-XL.jpg

#2 1 580 EX w/PW behind subject for rim light

474795265_tp6yD-XL.jpg

#3 AB800 w/softbox CL, reflector (large) CR

474794624_5LSnk-XL.jpg

#4 AB800 CR/shoot through diffuser panel, reflector CL

474794928_JNnLR-XL.jpg

#5 Natural light/reflector

475574725_V9kZx-XL.jpg

#6 AB800 w/softbox CR, reflector wall CL

474793855_igQ9V-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    bang on! crisp, well lit, well posed, nice looking models. thumb.gif very good stuff
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    bang on! crisp, well lit, well posed, nice looking models. thumb.gif very good stuff

From one Dude to another........."Thanks Dude" :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • JeriAmrineJeriAmrine Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Holy moly, these are good! What sort of reflector are you using? I like all the setups, but #3 and 4 catch my eye the most. clap.gif
    Jeri

www.jeriamrinephotography.com

Gear: Canon XTi, some Canon lenses, a few filters, lights and other gadgets I'm not quite sure how to use...yet!

Always wanting new glass....

edited February 17, 2009
    JeriAmrine wrote:
    Holy moly, these are good! What sort of reflector are you using? I like all the setups, but #3 and 4 catch my eye the most. clap.gif

Thanks Jeri. The cage shots: Reflector was like a huge portable folding wall..brought it in close. The blond: harnessed the light from the window near me then threw it her way.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks Jeri. The cage shots: Reflector was like a huge portable folding wall..brought it in close. The blond: harnessed the light from the window near me then threw it her way.

Ok, I have a question, though it's kind of a non sequitir. What camera setting do you use? I mean between portrait mode, faithful, natural etc.
    edited February 17, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Ok, I have a question, though it's kind of a non sequitir. What camera setting do you use? I mean between portrait mode, faithful, natural etc.

Although my camera is set to "Faithful" it is of no consequence since all my work is shot in RAW....Manual, Custom WB (always changing it in post though....Laughing.gif).
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Holey moses. These are great!
    Niiiice
    Favs are #3 & #4
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Although my camera is set to "Faithful" it is of no consequence since all my work is shot in RAW....Manual, Custom WB (always changing it in post though....Laughing.gif).

Oh ok! I always shot in portrait mode in raw and, though I usually pp a lot, I am going to try faithful to see how that would affect my pp. I think the quality of your photographs are fantastic!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Dave, those are PHENOMENAL!!! WOW!!! bowdown.gifiloveyou.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Wow! Excellent ork! I could learn a lot from you!

Wait . . . I just did in my thread, too! Thanks! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    beeeyoootiful!

Presumably these were prof models (and you had a stylist)? The different looks on the blond are wonderful! Yeah, well, the lighting might have had something to do with that too.... mwink.gif

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Lovely! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    great shots and thanks for the set up info. i followed most of it!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I think you should be giving classes. These are really good. thumb.gif

A lot of people think you have to have half a dozen lights and tons of studio equipment to take decent photographs. I think you have demonstrated that if you know what you are doing...a little goes a long way.

I'm assuming that you metered your lights...AB800 anyway...care to share your settings. Any tips.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited February 18, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    I think you should be giving classes. These are really good. thumb.gif

A lot of people think you have to have half a dozen lights and tons of studio equipment to take decent photographs. I think you have demonstrated that if you know what you are doing...a little goes a long way.

I'm assuming that you metered your lights...AB800 anyway...care to share your settings. Any tips.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ed. Yes, a light meter is critical. I know many who simply use the histogram but that doesn't allow for correct metering concerning ratios....and the camera uses a "reflective" metering system versus the "incident" of the light meter. For single people shots I typically will shoot at a lower aperture....less stress on lighting equipment, more pop, etc. Anywhere between f/4.5 to f/6.3 depending. Some at f/4.0...sometimes even at f/2.8....it all depends on how much of the subject's face to the back of the head will be in focus and of course the distance to subject/focal length considerations.

Full or half body shots typically f/4.5 is sufficient. The couple and the blond shot against the cage were at f/6.3. Many times for portrait sessions I meter for f/9 so everything is tack sharp and have the subjects out away from the bg (say at least 8 feet).

A light meter will enable you to ascertain the power/f stop of each light independently as well as collectively if using 2,3,4 etc. Simple can be better but it is really about using the shadows to one's advantage. A reflector is a great aid but find that at times it is not enough for a particular look....so, I may pull in another light, meter that at a third of the key for fill. The idea is to start with a concept, think about where the light source should come from, then build from there.

Some of the natural light shots were at f/4.5, ISO 1250, 1/60th. Hope this makes sense.

Here is one at f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/160th. Softbox/reflector

475909712_BiHBb-XL.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks Ed. Yes, a light meter is critical. I know many who simply use the histogram but that doesn't allow for correct metering concerning ratios....and the camera uses a "reflective" metering system versus the "incident" of the light meter. For single people shots I typically will shoot at a lower aperture....less stress on lighting equipment, more pop, etc. Anywhere between f/4.5 to f/6.3 depending. Some at f/4.0...sometimes even at f/2.8....it all depends on how much of the subject's face to the back of the head will be in focus and of course the distance to subject/focal length considerations.

Full or half body shots typically f/4.5 is sufficient. The couple and the blond shot against the cage were at f/6.3. Many times for portrait sessions I meter for f/9 so everything is tack sharp and have the subjects out away from the bg (say at least 8 feet).

A light meter will enable you to ascertain the power/f stop of each light independently as well as collectively if using 2,3,4 etc. Simple can be better but it is really about using the shadows to one's advantage. A reflector is a great aid but find that at times it is not enough for a particular look....so, I may pull in another light, meter that at a third of the key for fill. The idea is to start with a concept, think about where the light source should come from, then build from there.

Some of the natural light shots were at f/4.5, ISO 1250, 1/60th. Hope this makes sense.

Here is one at f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/160th. Softbox/reflector

475909712_BiHBb-XL.jpg

Very nice. I appreciate your taking time to share your technique. Thanks.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Very nice! What was this shoot for?
    edited February 18, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Very nice! What was this shoot for?

My personal crazy passion rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl Actually, we had a get together (50 photographers, 10 models, MUA's)......I shoot with only 2 others as we work very well together..so we kind of do our own gig on these type shoots. Ideas flow, creative poses, lighting...even though we have our own styles and vision we compliment one another's eye and skills.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited February 18, 2009
    Dave, the last one is stunning!!! My mouth literally dropped when I saw them, ... just gorgeous work (I know I mentioned it already in a earlier post), .... but ... clap.gifiloveyou.gif
    edited February 18, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Dave, the last one is stunning!!! My mouth literally dropped when I saw them, ... just gorgeous work (I know I mentioned it already in a earlier post), .... but ... clap.gifiloveyou.gif

Thank you Angie! As if you couldn't tell...I live for this stuff. :D I'm so glad you like them. Now how cool could it be to have wedding shots posed like this, eh????
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited February 18, 2009
    Seriously!! rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 18, 2009
    Thanks Nik, Divamum & Josh...appreciate you stopping by. Nik...we seriously need to shoot together dude.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited February 18, 2009
    Holey moses. These are great!
    Niiiice
    Favs are #3 & #4

Hey Fred! Thanks :D Have to do something fun indoors with this crazy "Alaskian" type weather here in Minnesota..Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I wanna be just like Swartzy when I grow up. Seriously good stuff dude! thumb.gif And someday I would love you to tell me how to use the light meter I have. I makes no sense to me. Ugh.....
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited February 20, 2009
    I wanna be just like Swartzy when I grow up. Seriously good stuff dude! thumb.gif And someday I would love you to tell me how to use the light meter I have. I makes no sense to me. Ugh.....

Thanks Sandy. The light meter isn't that difficult to use. I will say in the digital world you'll need to keep your eye on the histogram and preview your LCD (that's a real plus....instant feedback) and see where the shadows exist...then adjust accordingly.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • ERueERue Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Wow, just gorgeous...all of it, the shots themselves, the lighting, the models. The girl in the last photo sure has perfect skin!
    Erica
    40D | 50mm 1.8 | 28-75mm 2.8 | Metz 48 AF-1
    Erica Leigh Galleries
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    ERue wrote:
    Wow, just gorgeous...all of it, the shots themselves, the lighting, the models. The girl in the last photo sure has perfect skin!

I am guessing the skin wasn't perfect before swartzy got ahold of it!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    dang,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

3 and 4 really knock my block off.

can you describe the background in 3? was it created with lighting effects?

Did you enlarge her eyes in PS in 4? They look ginormously gorgeous!

:ivar
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    WOW! Great seriesclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Nice work, esp. like # 3 thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+