Days Last Light...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in Landscapes
We went for a drive on my day off yesterday. I took these pics near the end of the day.

Ron

475560937_gpFGH-L.jpg

475562017_u8oPb-L.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Do they stink or just nothing very appealing about them?

Thanks, Ron

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Hi Ron,

Comments are hit or miss, so never judge the quality of your photos by the numbers that you get. Dgrin is a busy forum and we keep growing. As much as we all try to keep on top of things here, threads can quickly fall through the cracks as traffic increases so please keep in that in mind too.

Also, lots of the views you see in the stats are from visitors who aren't registered and can't post.

That said, I personally love snow and mountains and think this is a really nice drive that you took. I think some sweeter light, maybe an hour or less after this might have produced some warmer colors and even longer shadows. At least you had some clouds to provide nice texture in the sky. thumb.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Do they stink or just nothing very appealing about them?

Thanks, Ron

hi Ron,

looks like some pretty countryside there, but to be honest, the compositions leave me a bit cold (sorry, couldn't resist! ne_nau.gif). they're not bad photos, but they're not terribly compelling, either. there's no real point of interest, nothing to make a viewer want to linger and take a deeper look. nothing reaches out and screams, "lookit me!" the kind of pics people look at briefly, maybe mutter "nice pic" to themselves, and move on.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Well...I like them.... but I think the only thing the pics really need is 'the light'. If it were sunset/sunrise with that glow the pics would be almost perfect. But, I'm not the expert either so... I keep learning!!
    edited February 23, 2009
    Thanks for the comments all.

schmoo, thanks for the input. I am sure that you are correct.

Rocky and Eia, thanks also. I post pics here so that I can get the kind of input given here. It is what hopefully will drive me to improve!

Thanks, Ron

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    heh,,these phots are the hardest o comment on. They are not technically bad but they are not very compelling artistically either. The 1st shot is just "there" if you know what I mean. some trees and snow and some mountain in the back. Nothing draws you in..staright lines, flat, etc. I think you have the "begginings" of something in the 2nd shot. The little creek cutting through the shot gives your eyes something to follow at least. imo if you had gotten closer to that creek and shot lower and with a wider angle..and closer to dawn or dusk..blamo ..more drama!thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    heh,,these phots are the hardest o comment on. They are not technically bad but they are not very compelling artistically either. The 1st shot is just "there" if you know what I mean. some trees and snow and some mountain in the back. Nothing draws you in..staright lines, flat, etc. I think you have the "begginings" of something in the 2nd shot. The little creek cutting through the shot gives your eyes something to follow at least. imo if you had gotten closer to that creek and shot lower and with a wider angle..and closer to dawn or dusk..blamo ..more drama!thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited February 24, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions Qarik! I still have so much to learn!!

Ron

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions Qarik! I still have so much to learn!!

Ron

When we stop learning, it is no longer fun. I agree with the comments above. :D