Challenge 39 - Any thoughts?

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited May 27, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, we certainly are experiencing weather here in the Boston area - rain, cold (highs in the 40's), wind. Really depressing. Happily, I have spent the past two days at the MIT Stata Center at a fascinating symposium on the future of computational photography. OK. Most of the content of most of the talks has gone over my head -- too much math. But even I can grasp the excitement of what is in store for us as photographers. One of the bonuses has been the opporutnity to take photographs in and around Gehry's Stata Center which, for some reason, I have not taken the time to visit before now. I'm no connoisseur of modern architechture, but I don't think it is his best work. Nonetheless, the photo ops are marvelous for those of us who love industrial subject matter. Even without blue skies.

So, here are some of the photos I have come up with to date as possible entries for the current challenge. The first three were taken today. The fourth was taken the same day as Lynn "captured" her funnel cloud not too many miles away!

Running for Cover (I'm thinking of a b&w version of this one)

22977291-M.jpg

Rainy Day Reflections

22987535-M.jpg

Rainy Day Abstract

22987542-M.jpg

Cloudy Skies with Chance of Rain

22693507-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    They're all nice but I like "Rainy Day Reflection" the best.

Bear
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Rainy day reflections looks great. thumb.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    Nor'Easter
    How about this one. It was taken about an hour ago at the corner of Charles and Beacon Streets in Boston where the wind was howling. rolleyes1.gif

Nor'Easter

23076093-M.jpg
    Enough already!! I need some sun. iloveyou.gif

Email
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    I like rainy day reflections, and I like the last one.

They are all great, it is just that I am partial to those.

gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited May 26, 2005
    Two More
    Today's Weather: A stubborn nor'easter continues to churn off the New England coast, leaving residents with yet another gray, rainy day.

May 26, 2005

23129640-M.jpg

23130469-L.jpg

It is 52 degrees with wind gusts up to 25 mph. Brrrr.

Virginia

Email
    edited May 26, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like rainy day reflections, and I like the last one.

They are all great, it is just that I am partial to those.

gingerthumb.gif
    Thanks Ginger. As frustrating as this challenge is turning out to be (but, aren't they all when you get right down to it?) , it is providing me with a reason to go out in the awful weather. In fact, it is getting to be kinda fun in a perverse sort of way. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

P.S. I'd ask you to send us some of your beautiful sunny weather, but I know that hurricane season is not so far off, so enjoy what you have! The sun will come out here one of these days, maybe Sunday. :D

Email
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    I like the rainy day reflections shotthumb.gif As for the BW on the first one I'm wondering what it would look like in BW but the man with his bright orange jacket and bright colored umbrella left in color, with the colors saturated just a bit to make him POP. ne_nau.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 26, 2005
    all nice and I agree: Rainy Day Reflection thumb.gif
  • tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif I really like the rainy day reflection. Though they are all good shots!
    edited May 26, 2005
    Esthetically I like Rainy Day reflection, but I feel the pain in Nor Easter. I prefer Nor Easter as far as really knowing the weather.

I would prefer the other one as a wall decoration.

ginger:D
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Today's Weather: A stubborn nor'easter continues to churn off the New England coast, leaving residents with yet another gray, rainy day.

May 26, 2005

23129640-M.jpg

Virginia
    I really like this new one! May want to try to crop the top a bit so you can get rid of some of the cars getting into the image. thumb.gif
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    I'd have a hard time chosing.. Some great weather shots. I think I like the reflections best.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Running for Cover is my favorite. Great set of shots!
    edited May 27, 2005
    You have a good set of shots, all the responses are different. Difficult choice, now.

I still like Nor easter.

g
    edited May 27, 2005
    Today's Efforts
    Today's Weather Report: Cloudy, possible showers with a high near 60.

23218413-M.jpg

23216528-M.jpg

We actually saw a bit of sun today, but mostly the sky looked as it does in these photos.

Virginia

Email
    edited May 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Esthetically I like Rainy Day reflection, but I feel the pain in Nor Easter. I prefer Nor Easter as far as really knowing the weather.

I would prefer the other one as a wall decoration.

ginger:D
    I agree with you Ginger. The challenge is to come up with a photo that is both an outstanding photo AND one that fits the challenge topic. Without taking away anything from all of the excellent entries already posted, IMHO, Humungus' Lightening over Brisbane, Lynnma's Still Raining and Erich's Reading about today's weather are oustanding examples of photographs that work at both levels. None of my photos quite meet the dual standard. Rainy Day refelction is artsy and I do like it (largely because the Stata Center architechture fascinates me) but it doesn't quite do it on the theme. Nor'easter conveys the weather and has some action interest but isn't a particularly outstanding capture. Anyhow, I will pick something to enter by Monday and in the meantime I'm having fun taking pictures I would not have otherwise thought of taking.:):

P.S. I like your latest beach shot a lot! Are those your dogs?

Email
    edited May 27, 2005
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it. iloveyou.gif

Erich, I understand your comment about cropping the top of the fire hydrant picture, but I don't think I can do it without cutting off the top of the hydrant. I think it would be pretty easy to clone out the distractions though. BTW, the umbrella is mine and it was really destroyed by the nor'easter!rolleyes1.gif

Eric, I hadn't thought of leaving the guys jacket and umbrella in color when converting Running for Cover to B&W. If I have time, I'll try it this weekend. If it turns out to be interesting, I'll post it.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody. with photo-worthy weather! clap.gif

Virginia

Email