First attempt at High-Key - C&C please

kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited February 18, 2009 in People
I finally got my AB 800 lights last week (3 of 'em), along with some umbrellas, a brolly box, barn doors, and colored filters for the background. I've got my high key set up complete with the bi-fold doors, seamless white paper, and white flooring from Lowe's. (I'm so excited, can you feel it?!?!?!) :barb:clap:barb

My son had no problem being the model for me as I tried out the camera settings, and light settings. I love how these turned out! But, as always, any C&C is appreciated.

1. He had a lot of fun jumping, so I thought I'd combine a few of the shots together.

475728634_P62Hj-M.jpg

2. He also played coy and hid behind the toy tower he built
475728767_V3UZe-M.jpg

~Kathleen
Kathleen
www.kdspencer.com

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    kdspencer wrote:
    I finally got my AB 800 lights last week (3 of 'em), along with some umbrellas, a brolly box, barn doors, and colored filters for the background. I've got my high key set up complete with the bi-fold doors, seamless white paper, and white flooring from Lowe's. (I'm so excited, can you feel it?!?!?!) wings.gifclapwings.gif

My son had no problem being the model for me as I tried out the camera settings, and light settings. I love how these turned out! But, as always, any C&C is appreciated.

1. He had a lot of fun jumping, so I thought I'd combine a few of the shots together.

2. He also played coy and hid behind the toy tower he built

~Kathleen

Kathleen,
    very nice! thumb.gif
    I'd say the bigest issue is in front area of the floor section, it's getting too dark. I had the same problems. Watch those doors or use the 3d light to provide an extra up front.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Hi Nik,

Thanks. What do you mean "watch those doors?" Am I watching that they block all the light, or trying to let more light into the front from the doors?

I don't have a softbox up front, so I'm using a bounce umbrella. (2 lights on the background and one up front) I also have a brolly box, but the bounce umbrella seems to have the best results.

How far would you recommend having your model(s) from the background? Mine are about 7 feet away.

Thanks!
    Kathleen
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    kdspencer wrote:
    Hi Nik,

Thanks. What do you mean "watch those doors?" Am I watching that they block all the light, or trying to let more light into the front from the doors?

I don't have a softbox up front, so I'm using a bounce umbrella. (2 lights on the background and one up front) I also have a brolly box, but the bounce umbrella seems to have the best results.

How far would you recommend having your model(s) from the background? Mine are about 7 feet away.

Thanks!
    Kathleen

I mean doors block the light in front of the subject. This setup is great for the situation when the floor is not in the frame, but if it is, as in your case and most of mine, you need to let more light in, without, naturally overlighting your subject.

The distance between the subject and the bg is less critical in HK case, since you're flooding it up with light. Mine is about 5 ft, but it can be even less. it's more about making sure you have blown out bg and your subject is not in the flood lights too much.

With only one light up front you're in a conundrum. Technically you may need up to 3:
    1 - for main/fill
    2 - for the face
    3 - for the floor

You your last case (boy on the floor) all three can be combined realtively easily. However, if the face is far from the floor (imagine 6ft runway model on heels) you may need all three.

Sell the kid and get at least the 4th light :-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    With a kid this cute, maybe he can just be rented out for weddings, bar mitzvas and parties. Buy the fourth light on time: Instant gratification isn't all it's cracked up to be. mwink.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Loving it!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gif Doesn't hurt to have a super cute kid either! Can you explain a little more of your set up ie: placements of lights and modifiers? and settings?? Pretty please??:D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    From someone who has struggled (unsuccessfully) to get high-key right, I think these are great!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    +++++1 thumb.gif

That first one is beyond adorable. I'll let Nik and the other technique gurus speak about the numbers and HK specifics, but I think that first one in particular Major Keeper. Great stuff!
  • ERueERue Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    They are super cute! What an energetic little guy you have. :)
    Erica
    40D | 50mm 1.8 | 28-75mm 2.8 | Metz 48 AF-1
    Erica Leigh Galleries
  • kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Thanks guys for the great feedback. Nik, not planning to sell 'the kid', but I did get the go-ahead from my husband to buy a 4th light (thanks in part to your comment). :ivar I ordered it tonight and it should be in the mail tomorrow. wings.gif

As for the set-up... I have a 9' roll of seamless white paper for my background, and a couple of 4'x8' sheets of white laminant on the floor. It gives that great reflecting look. I have 2 Alien Bee 800's (one on each side ) shooting at the background, and one AB 800 with a reflective umbrella at the front to light my son. He's about 6 or 7 feet from the background. I find if I place him too much closer to the background I get too much light spilling onto him and creating a little too much wrap around his face and body.

I'm lovin' the clean background of the HK setup!!
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Very nice on the high key. Try to raise your black point in levels up a little and see if it gives the photo alittle more pop.