Tragic News - Cat Killed by Pit Bull

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited February 18, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Friends,

I recently posted this photo of our beloved cat, Titch, asking for C&C. Sadly, she was killed last week when 2 pit bull dogs from next door chewed through the fence and broke into our house--yes, broke into our house, via a screen window--and killed her. One of our dogs awoke and she and my husband raced downstairs, tackled the intruder dogs, and very likely saved the other cat. Fortunately, my husband was not hurt. But he is despondent over the death of his special pet. I am away for 2 weeks so I did not witness the attack. My husband did. The separation during this sad time is especially difficult.

I would rather not use this forum for anything other than to post this image again, in loving memory. If you wish to know any more about this incident, feel free to PM me.

Rest in peace, dear Titch.

446128918_c8Zpz-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    OMG, that is absolutely awful Lauren. I hope you both can hold the owners accountable and get some kind of fair justice out of this. I am very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful cat.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Agree with the sentiments mr. dlplumer. Tragic to have such a thing happen.
    Our thoughts are with you.
    Michael
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Ouch!

Sorry for your loss....

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Just heart-breaking, I'm so sorry. Hurts so much to lose a friend. :(
    Your husband was lucky not to be hurt.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Dear Lauren,

So sorry to hear of your Loss, our Furry Friends are just so giving and soothe our Souls.

My Condolences to your and your Husband, you'll be in my Thoughts and Prayers.

I know you'll miss Titch, he's already across the Bridge waiting.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Friends,

I recently posted this photo of our beloved cat, Titch, asking for C&C. Sadly, she was killed last week ......
    Rest in peace, dear Titch.

Gawwwwwwd, how awful, to many of us our pets are a big part of the family, and the loss of a pet can be very devastating.

Hopefully appropriate action was taken against the owners of the dogs.

What a sad story, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss Lauren ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    :cry OMG!! That's awful. Can't find the words right now that would properly express my condolences.

Those dogs had no business running around loose at night. I certainly hope you hold their owners accountable for their negligence.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    So sad. It's so hard to lose a pet under normal circumstances but that sadness is compounded many fold when it happens this way. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Titch was a beautiful cat and lucky to have been so well loved.

I am so sorry about your loss. As a cat owner, I can imagine how terrible this has been for your family.

May Titch rest in peace and be long remembered by those who love him.

Virginia

Email
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers. Titch is indeed over the bridge--I know she has been reunited with my beloved Murphy (see my avatar and web site) and they are watching over us. Titch was almost 14 and had more personality than any cat I've ever known. She and John Brown (our male cat) came with my husband when we married in 1997. It took a while, but my Murphy and the two cats became family.

Since several of you have asked about the dogs, I will provide a bit more: The owners have been cited for not having tags on the dogs. We have been told repeatedly by city officials that the dogs will likely suffer no consequences because "they did not harm a human." The fact that they broke into our home seems to be lost in the shuffle! The case is still pending and I will learn more when I get home next week. I do plan to start working towards more protections for pets and their owners. Most states consider pets to be simply "property." Even so, there has to be some way to provide legal protection in cases like ours where there is an actual break-in.

Many thanks to all of you. Please keep praying and writing--it helps!

Best Regards,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Hmmmm....do you guys have leash laws where you live? headscratch.gif

If you do, then the law was clearly violated and the owners of the dogs should be fined accordingly.

Maybe this site might have some information that will help you in your quest:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stustxhealthsafetycode822_001_828_015.htm

They need to take this matter very seriously with these particular two dogs. What if that had been someone's child? Holy cow!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I am really sorry Lauren. For some of us, pets are family, and it sure hurts to have one die, and especially in this manner! People who cannot control their animals, should not be allowed to own them.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I can't tell you how saddened I am to hear this. I will pray that you can find peace and comfort in remembering the love you shared with your beloved family member. I truly believe that we will see our pets again, and that belief has helped sustain me during my own losses in the past. May God comfort you as well.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I'm sorry... I feel for your loss. :cry
  • YuliaYulia Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    My boyfriend and me very sorry for that tragedy, Lauren. It's unheard of - dogs broke into the house! Dogs and the owners have to have consequences - especially pit bulls, very dangerous dogs if not to train them.

Yulia
  • leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss. Losing such a treasured member of the family is especially hard. I know in our area there is a leash law, but the owners would only be cited like what happened in your case. Unfortunately, animals are considered property and the only justice you may receive would be that the dog owners pay for any vet bills incurred. This is what usually happens in our area when dogs attack horses and other animals. The saddest part is that if the victim would have been a human child those dogs would be quarantined and then euthanized. I feel it should be the same for those animal children we all have. Sending hugs your way!