PMA Predictions

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Cameras
If you have them drag them out on the floor here so we may beat them upside the head. In light of the fact that I went out and traded my 70-200 f4 L in on a 70-200 f 4 IS L today I can (with my luck) lay 2 on the table.

Most likely...An update to the 300 f4 IS L, call it the Mk II, give it some more SLD and flourite and a 3rd gen 4 stop IS unit. This lens is in NEED! one of the last in Canon's lineup with 2nd gen IS and non ring type USM.
Canon could list a lens like this for 1700 dollars and get it (even in the present economy), its only competition is its broke down older model.

Possible...If the Nikon cat was meowing in the bag an update to the 35mm f2 (released way back when parachute pants were popular) with USM and maybe in the spirit of oneupsmanship a slightly faster max aperture say f1.7 (unlikely I know, tweener apertures are the domain of the Pentax and Minolta crowd) Canon needs to get on board with a modern standard lens for its crop bodies, they can no longer rest on their laurels of having the best entry level bodies.

Less likely,
A real mate for the 17-55 f2.8 EF-S IS say a 55-135 f2.8 EF-S IS.

Even less likely a 24-70 f 2.8 IS to hang on the front of that pretty 5d MkII body, give it the 3rd gen 4 stop or the 5 stop of the 200mm f2. MANY pros moving from crop bodies to full frame are addicted to a 2.8 standard lens with IS and won't settle for the f4 24-105 (I wouldn't). This might be tougher to move in this economy (it would most likely have to retain north of 1500) but I think some people would plunge.

So thats my predictions (really more of a wish list I guess). I don't see many companies rolling any new bodies, maybe some new micro 4/3, hell maybe Leica will put Minox out of its misery and trot out a Minox Micro 4/3 badge engineered Panasonic box. If you have predictions I'd love to hear them...Canon, Nikon, the rest...I'm not picky.

Comments

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:
    Most likely...An update to the 300 f4 IS L, call it the Mk II, give it some more SLD and flourite and a 3rd gen 4 stop IS unit. This lens is in NEED! one of the last in Canon's lineup with 2nd gen IS and non ring type USM.
    Canon could list a lens like this for 1700 dollars and get it (even in the present economy), its only competition is its broke down older model.
    As far as I know, the 300f4 IS has ring USM. Don't have any hands on experience with this one though. I'm thinking if they update any telephoto L's, my money's on a 400f5.6 with IS.
    Blurmore wrote:
    Possible...If the Nikon cat was meowing in the bag an update to the 35mm f2 (released way back when parachute pants were popular) with USM and maybe in the spirit of oneupsmanship a slightly faster max aperture say f1.7 (unlikely I know, tweener apertures are the domain of the Pentax and Minolta crowd) Canon needs to get on board with a modern standard lens for its crop bodies, they can no longer rest on their laurels of having the best entry level bodies.
    Are you referring very indirectly to nikon's announcement one week ago of the AF-S 35 f1.8 DX? Or asking for the same style of lens, only FX? I'd second this as on my wishlist for canon, and who knows, doesn't seem that unlikely that Canon will follow Nikon on this one.

I'd love to see some more action on mirrorless digital formats, but besides maybe a funky micro 4/3rds by olympus, things might be a little quiet here. Some seriously tough and especially waterproof compacts would be awesome, particularly if they took G9-G10 caliber images.

I've heard rumours about a 1d III n that sound credible, but maybe this is just someone yanking the poor sports peoples' chains rolleyes1.gif

What I'd really love to hear announced? That Canon's accepting Rebel XTs as trade-ins for 5d II kits...
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I think we will all be moderately disappointed. I think with the economy has slowed development of new products. But, if I was hoping for something, it would be a 7-300mm 2.0 lens with no distortions, sharp as a prime, light as a typical kit zoom, and costs $150. What do you think?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I'd kill for EF 24-70/2.8 IS USM....rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I think we will all be moderately disappointed. I think with the economy has slowed development of new products. But, if I was hoping for something, it would be a 7-300mm 2.0 lens with no distortions, sharp as a prime, light as a typical kit zoom, and costs $150. What do you think?

I agree with you about the disappointment. I think keeping our predictions/wishes within the realm of mathematical possibility and smaller than a semi truck will be more productive. Well not more productive, but I've seen this slippery slope where people start throwing out stuff which breaks the laws of physics, then Pathfinder has to come and break it down about how big such in such would be that is if an element of that size could even be made....yada yada...lets try to keep it out of fantasy land :P
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    At WPPI today, Sigma was hinting at an announcement of a new 10-20mm f/2.8 lens at PMA.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    At WPPI today, Sigma was hinting at an announcement of a new 10-20mm f/2.8 lens at PMA.
    FF or APC?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:
    I agree with you about the disappointment. I think keeping our predictions/wishes within the realm of mathematical possibility and smaller than a semi truck will be more productive. Well not more productive, but I've seen this slippery slope where people start throwing out stuff which breaks the laws of physics, then Pathfinder has to come and break it down about how big such in such would be that is if an element of that size could even be made....yada yada...lets try to keep it out of fantasy land :P
    :cry
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 18, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    FF or APC?

That would almost certainly be an APS crop 1.5x/1.6x format to compete with the Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 AT-X PRO DX.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    FF or APC?

I would assume APC.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I'd like to see a new 500mm come out of the Canon camp. As it stands the price gap between the 400mm f/5.6L and the 500mm f/4L IS is just staggering, perhaps a 500mm 5.6L IS would bring the cost down to where the non-pro could justify the price(even just barely). I know if it came to fruition chances are I'd grab it instead of upgrading to a newer body.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021805canond10.asp

Yay! One of my wishes came true! Except it doesn't have RAW headscratch.gif

Seriously though, watersports are my life, and it's about time this became a category lots of companies cater to.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    If they made a 24-105 IS f/2.8 that would be worth GOLD.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Yeah too bad it would have an 80+ mm objective and weigh as much as a 300 f4 :(