Boca Chita (fake) Lighthouse, Biscayne National Park

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited February 22, 2009 in Landscapes
I had seen photos of this lighthouse for years and never realized that it was a fake which had been built by a rich guy at the entrance of his private harbor before the area became Biscayne National Park. The Coast Guard wouldn't let him put a light in it because all the surrounding waters are pretty shallow and it would possibly cause boats to run aground. At any rate, it sure is "purdy" even if it was a rich man's folly.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Click the image for EXIF data.

473821609_mAXBe-XL.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Black & White conversion.

476820287_LJPbd-XL.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    NIce! I'm a big fan of B&W conversion especially w/ the type of clouds in the BG. However, this shot of the Key's colors begs to just "be"! :D
  • leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    What a funny story. The lighthouse is just beautiful. I like the color version better as it brings out the color of the water which suits the palm tree well.
    edited February 21, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    NIce! I'm a big fan of B&W conversion especially w/ the type of clouds in the BG. However, this shot of the Key's colors begs to just "be"! :D

Thank you for the comments. I do agree with you about the color. The only reason I even did the B/W conversion on this one was to duplicate the era during which the lighthouse was constructed by Mark Honeywell (Honeywell controls fame) during the 1930's to go with his estate on Boca Chita (since burned down).
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited February 21, 2009
    leahe wrote:
    What a funny story. The lighthouse is just beautiful. I like the color version better as it brings out the color of the water which suits the palm tree well.

Thank you, Leah. As stated in my response above I also think the color version is better. Mark Honeywell started the Honeywell company which started off building hot water heating systems and the company evolved into heating thermostats and controls and made him very rich and able to build fake lighthouses.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    This looks great in black and white and color.
    Color stands out! The photo itself makes me want to be there. Very nice!!!
    Whenever I see a palm tree I think 'color'. Sort of my own rule of thumb I guess. I'm no expert!!! I do like trees, cactus and even some floral in black and white...but for me...palm trees beg color. I guess for me I think 'tropic' = color!

Saying all that...
    Great photo!!! :D
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Great looking pic Dixie!! I really like the B&W shot.
    edited February 22, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    This looks great in black and white and color.
    Color stands out! The photo itself makes me want to be there. Very nice!!!
    Whenever I see a palm tree I think 'color'. Sort of my own rule of thumb I guess. I'm no expert!!! I do like trees, cactus and even some floral in black and white...but for me...palm trees beg color. I guess for me I think 'tropic' = color!

Saying all that...
    Great photo!!! :D

Eia,

Thank you for the comments.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited February 22, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Great looking pic Dixie!! I really like the B&W shot.

Thank you, Adam. Your comments are always appreciated.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie