Two new Canon TS lenses announced

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in Cameras
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Loooking good !

Now there should be one sub 1000$ full frame camera with plastic body and 10MP. I can live with 1.5 frames per second mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Pre-PMA 2009: Canon has today announced a pair of new tilt and shift lenses, in the shape of the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II and the ultra-wide TS-E 17mm f/4L. These two optics share a brand new barrel design that allows the directions of the tilt and shift to be rotated independently of each other, offering a high degree of control over the positioning of the focal plane. They also feature Canon's latest sub-wavelength structure coating (SWC) for the minimization of flare and ghosting, high-precision aspherical front elements to keep distortion to a minimum and multiple UD elements to reduce chromatic aberration. When used on the 35mm full-frame format, the TS-E 17mm f/4L offers the widest angle of view of any similar lens currently available.
    The high-lighted part (my emphasis) of the quote above is what really interests me. If I read it correctly, Canon has been listening/reading info on the net and has realized that photogs are modifying the "Mark I" versions to re-align/rotate the relationship between the shift and tilt properties of the lens. Hmmmmm - that 24 really has my interest!

Any bets on whether Andy acquires serial number 000001?:lol
  • keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Hmmm, they're a bit pricey
    Manfr3d wrote:

When I heard that Canon had deleted the 24mm Mk1 version I guessed that either the lens would be deleted altogether or its replacement would be far more expensive. It was the latter. So, I have ordered an old version anyway. I'm hoping it will be good enough. The forecast price of the new lens looks like being double. If I can earn some money off the old version, I might treat myself to a 90mm TS-E. That looks like real fun.
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 19, 2009
    When I heard that Canon had deleted the 24mm Mk1 version I guessed that either the lens would be deleted altogether or its replacement would be far more expensive. It was the latter. So, I have ordered an old version anyway. I'm hoping it will be good enough. The forecast price of the new lens looks like being double. If I can earn some money off the old version, I might treat myself to a 90mm TS-E. That looks like real fun.

Keithinmelbourne, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Good luck with the TS 24mm MK I. It is a wonderful lens. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    The high-lighted part (my emphasis) of the quote above is what really interests me. If I read it correctly, Canon has been listening/reading info on the net and has realized that photogs are modifying the "Mark I" versions to re-align/rotate the relationship between the shift and tilt properties of the lens. Hmmmmm - that 24 really has my interest!
    I agree, that's the key difference. And I now wonder how that 17 would feel on my FF body:-) mwink.gif
    Any bets on whether Andy acquires serial number 000001?:lol
    You mean he doesn't have it yet? eek7.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Has anyone confirmed the MTF charts posted to that beacon of truth, dpreview forum?
  • keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Finally got the Mk I version
    I have not had a great deal of time to come to grips with the new lens, but my first attempts at doing panos, and the miniaturizing effect yesterday went very well. Stitching the panos using photomerge in CS4 was a breeze. I things about this lens I like the most are: it's manual (slows you down and makes you think more) and creative versatility (there seems to be a lot to explore). I think I will really enjoy working with this lens.clap.gif
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    For what it's worth. Reports on a german forum say both lenses are sharp from corner to corner even with maximum shift.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    ― Edward Weston