Athens

tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Landscapes
I am going to go to Athens next week and I have to decide what to bring with.

I am not sure if there is any reason i can justify to bring the 70-200 2.8IS seems to big to travel with

Otherwise I have

17-50 2.8 Tamron

28-70L 2.8 canon

50mm 1.8

I think i am going to bring Flash, 50 1.8 and 17 - 50.

I am hoping not to regret not bringing other things but I'd rather not have to bring my backpack when i can just bring those things in a camera specific bag.

What are people's thoughts have you done photos in greece before? Will I need the telephoto. Will i need the 17mm?
5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    What camera are you taking? Ah! I see, a 30D. So you will already have built-in reach.

Greece is not a place of huge vistas and monumental natural features.

The main photographic attraction of Athens is the ancient cultural sites. The buildings can be massive and they have detail which enhances their interest dramatically.

Another attraction is the cafe life. And both the ruins and the street life can be most interesting in "bad" light. There are also performances associated with each, sometimes outdoors at night, or indoors such as musicians playing in a tavern.

Typically you can't use flash in the museums.

So I think you need a lens with a moderate reach, also a short lens, a wide one, and a fast one.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    i wouldnt think about going without the 70-200...(too bad you dont have the lighter f4)(but without a tripod the IS will do you well)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 18, 2009
    i wouldnt think about going without the 70-200...(too bad you dont have the lighter f4)(but without a tripod the IS will do you well)

What would you use it for in Athens (on a crop body)?? Muscle building??headscratch.gifwink:D

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    the telephoto compression is to valuable imo.

there is a shot @ the Parthenons rock quarry ive been wanting...( i noticed it during a documentry series on television)
    (but it may be a life time before i acually get there)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 18, 2009
    the telephoto compression is to valuable imo.

there is a shot @ the Parthenons rock quarry ive been wanting...( i noticed it during a documentry series on television)
    (but it may be a life time before i acually get there)

Yes, I won't argue with that.

• EyefulEyeful Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I took a 70-200 with me to Athens, but it nevel left the bag. But then again, I used my 24-105 almost all the time. Bring the 17 !

Rob

155949544_nSkNM-L.jpg
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    using a 30D, i'd definitely take the 17-50... on a crop body, the 28mm will not be wide enough to capture the feel of some of the architecture, etc., that you will really only be able to see from relatively close up. remember, a 28mm on a 30D has the same field of view as a 45mm on a full-frame body. the 17mm will give you about a 28mm FOV. i would expect you'll come back having used the 17-50 for 95% of your shots.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Thanks for the advice everyone. That is what I am thinking about the 70 - 200 also. And i really don't want my 70-200 to get stolen if I were to have stuff stolen it would be the other stuff which I can replace all of for less than one new 70 - 200.

I am very excited. I wish i had a friend to borrow a 10 - 20 from but alas none exists!

-ts
    Eyeful wrote:
    I took a 70-200 with me to Athens, but it nevel left the bag. But then again, I used my 24-105 almost all the time. Bring the 17 !

Rob

155949544_nSkNM-L.jpg
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
  • mtzomtzo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 19, 2009
    Well it would help if you told us the places you will be visiting (if it is only Athens or other cities as well).
    If it is only Athens I would be sticking on the wide side taking the 17-50 & the 28-70 with me.
    I can't tell you about the flash. Personally I wouldn't take it with me, as it is not allowed in the museums, and you can't use it for street photography...
    Greece can be very interesting photography-wise.
    Balos_Panorama_web.jpg
    edited February 19, 2009
    tjstrider wrote:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. That is what I am thinking about the 70 - 200 also. And i really don't want my 70-200 to get stolen if I were to have stuff stolen it would be the other stuff which I can replace all of for less than one new 70 - 200.

I am very excited. I wish i had a friend to borrow a 10 - 20 from but alas none exists!

-ts

Enjoy your trip! Look forward to seeing some pics!

476757523_gqHP9-L.jpg

476757534_msPi7-L.jpg

476757542_4KGyF-L.jpg

Neil

• tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Not 100% sure what I am doing. I'm sure Delphi and Corinth and Santerini.

Flash i was thinking for fill help when i am taking sunset pictures with the 24 - 70 mm lens... As well as AF help at night.

mtzo wrote:
    Well it would help if you told us the places you will be visiting (if it is only Athens or other cities as well).
    If it is only Athens I would be sticking on the wide side taking the 17-50 & the 28-70 with me.
    I can't tell you about the flash. Personally I wouldn't take it with me, as it is not allowed in the museums, and you can't use it for street photography...
    Greece can be very interesting photography-wise.