DSSMC3 Color or B/W?

PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
edited February 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This new(ish) method of posting our entries directly to a smugmug challenge gallery is very cool...but, I have to admit that the one thing I really miss about posting to a dgrin entry thread is losing the ability to change my entry a dozen times on each of my changing whims without having to involve the mods.

I'd really appreciate your input on which version of "Nocturne" you guys prefer... Original or Black & white? -Thanks!

474567387_9ME7x-L.jpg

475527070_bFhve-L.jpg

Comments

• sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    The b&w is interesting, but I think the original version is better showing the sky go from blue to black.
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I think #2. or maybe some where in between 1 & 2
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Color by a mile. Not only does it make the reflections more interesting, but the colors work well together to help us see the flow of the overpasses.

Great photo. (As usual.)

Virginia

Email
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Color by a mile. Not only does it make the reflections more interesting, but the colors work well together to help us see the flow of the overpasses.

Great photo. (As usual.)

Virginia

15524779-Ti.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I agree with the color votes. I love the way the blue, black and yellows all look together. It is a wonderful photo indeed! clap.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Thanks for your input! It's so nice to hear your opinions when the inevitable (for me) second guessing sets in!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Agree with the others - colour!

Also have to agree that while the galleries are AWESOME, I wish I could silently change my entry as we could in the threads instead of having to draw attention to my ineptitudes with visible updates in the gallery (My solution: submit at the last minute instead rolleyes1.gif Of course, in MC3 I'll be lucky if I have ANY submission at this rate :yikes)
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    very sweet comp, i prefer the color version, b&w seems to have no depth
    Aaron Nelson
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 18, 2009
    ...losing the ability to change my entry a dozen times on each of my changing whims without having to involve the mods.
    hey now!

You can still change your entry a dozen times! If it intimidates you to post in the entry thread or PM me or Em, I did point out that by default, I will delete all but the most recent upload from a given entrant (unless messaged or captioned otherwise) at the close of the challenge.

thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    I personally prefer the B&W Paul, but they are both great.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Each version has its merit, IMO. I like both and appreciate your quandary.

The color shot puts emphasis on the reflections and the sky whereas the B&W image puts more emphasis on the shapes.

I say, go with your gut on this one, Paul. Either way, it's a great shot. thumb.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Combination of the two? Desaturate the greenish tint of the bridge, but leave the sky intact.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited February 18, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    hey now!

You can still change your entry a dozen times! If it intimidates you to post in the entry thread or PM me or Em, I did point out that by default, I will delete all but the most recent upload from a given entrant (unless messaged or captioned otherwise) at the close of the challenge.

thumb.gif

Thanks Doc! You and Emily are great and I know that you probably wouldn't mind deleting scores of my images from the entry gallery. It's my own personal issue...I just don't want to embarass myself by posting more than one at a time and I don't want to add to your and Emily's work load by posting each iteration or new image willy-nilly.

Luckily, fellow dgrinners are always willing to offer opinions and constructive help when asked - so with their help I'll try to keep my uploads to the entry gallery to a minimum.

Thanks again!
    edited February 18, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Combination of the two? Desaturate the greenish tint of the bridge, but leave the sky intact.
    I think #2. or maybe some where in between 1 & 2

pyry & pyro...I looked at it a again on a different monitor and I can see what you mean. I think I'll try some subtle changes to the bridge color when I get home tonight.
    richtersl wrote:
    The color shot puts emphasis on the reflections and the sky whereas the B&W image puts more emphasis on the shapes.

Linda...That's exactly what my son said when he saw the two versions!
    dlplumer wrote:
    I personally prefer the B&W Paul, but they are both great.

Thanks Dan! I like both for different reasons (see above). My original vision for this was color...but I happened to hover my cursor over one of my b/w presets in LR and kind of liked the preview - that's when the second guessing started.

Anyway, Thanks again for all of your help!
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Wow, Yeah Im loving both versions! I can see your tough decision. But I think I'd go with the color if it were me!! Nice Picture!!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 19, 2009
    wow Paul! Both are super! You have quite a choice here...can't go wrong with either...but I bet you will try what pyry and pyro suggested then have another great image to add make the dicision all the more difficultmwink.gif !
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I see your dilemma...

personally I am leaning towards the B&W but a mix between the two is a compelling idea.
  • AnaSimonaAnaSimona Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 19, 2009
    I think the color in the original sets the mood more, it definitely adds something to the image.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    ...a mix between the two is a compelling idea.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Color!

I love it, btw. Nice job.

Sherry