Metering Question - Outdoor Sports in Winter

KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
edited February 18, 2009 in Sports
I have never moved off of Evaluative Metering on my Canon cameras (too much else to worry about!), but shooting at this time of year in the Northeast, with the sun low on the horizon PLUS highly reflective snow pushed off the field and therefore in the background of every shot, I am more often than not ridiculously back-lit. I can fix that in PP, but would I be better off using any of the other metering options -- for Canon, those being Partial, Spot and Center-Weighted Average? If so, which would you recommend?

For what it may be worth for context, I shoot RAW and single AF point.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Have you tried to bump the EC? The snow tends to confuse the metering a bit.

For ice hockey, I'm usually at +1.

found it!
    Roxanne says (well, Andy)-- Overexpose that Snow

And this is a decent read on the metering modes.

As for which is best -- really depends on what you want to achieve and focus on, but when I hear backlit, I usually think fill flash.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    Have you tried to bump the EC? The snow tends to confuse the metering a bit.

For ice hockey, I'm usually at +1.
    That's a good thought, but I have a preset that I use in LR that includes auto exposure adjustment, so that would only exacerbate the problem. I'd like to force the camera to do a little more thinking at the time of exposure if possible . . .

And I am aware that that "auto" is imperfect, but I'm dealing with hundreds of images and need to start somewhere.

Thanks for your response; one variable I can try is eliminating that preset and trying straight manual EC.