Foggy Morning

Photo JoePhoto Joe Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited February 19, 2009 in Landscapes
This morning some fog rolled in over the frozen lake out back of my house. I snapped a few shots, and this is the best that I could do in the situation. Let me know what you guys think, and (hopefully) how to take a better picture in the future.

On another note, I HATE trying to photograph sunsets / sunrises. Is there any way to get both the foreground, background and colored sky all lit? Or do you have to do HDR processing to piece together multiple exposures?
Equipment:
Canon - 40D, 24-105mm f/4 L
Sigma - 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 150mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4
Other - Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    There are a variety of ways to get this type of shot with better exposure throughout. One way is to use ND graduated filters, either soft or hard edge. You would position the filter so that the darker portion covered the sky allowing you to increase the exposure and get more of the foreground. Second method would be multiple exposures that you then would blend in a program such as Photoshop. This isn't HDR, per se, as you would uses masks to expose the different areas. The third method would be to use HDR software. Personally I prefer the first two approaches. I've have never been able to get natural looking results with Photomatix.