Yellow Prop Job

anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited February 21, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
After going through an ordeal with my monitor and color calibration, I'm finally able to start processing HDRs again! Whoo!

Anyway... I went on a trip with my family to the USS Hornet in Alameda, CA, and these are two planes (of many) on display on the hangar deck of the aircraft carrier.

You can read more about my visit to the USS Hornet on my photo blog.

476614505_w7Fp7-XL.jpg

You can see it even larger here.

-joe
Joe Ercoli
My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
My Smugmug Gallery

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    anvilimage wrote:
    After going through an ordeal with my monitor and color calibration, I'm finally able to start processing HDRs again! Whoo!

Anyway... I went on a trip with my family to the USS Hornet in Alameda, CA, and these are two planes (of many) on display on the hangar deck of the aircraft carrier.

You can read more about my visit to the USS Hornet on my photo blog.

You can see it even larger here.

-joe

The annoying thing about going into these type of museums is all the ropes and barriers they have around the Aircraft to stop people touching them or climbing on them...... be nice if you could get in for a special shooting without all the barries hu.

Sharp shot ... plane looks good, prop is real sharp!

I'm hoping to go to the Airshow down here at Avalon next month.
    Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    This is really very very nice. The HDR is not overdone and the colors and detail are perfect. It's too bad that white cruise ship is visible thru the elevator door (it's a little bright and distracting). I wonder if you could tone that area down a bit

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Nice one.thumb.gif Sweet wide angle. Really like the result doing this in HDR gave you.
    Michael
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Beautiful HDR rendition. I noticed in your blog that you are using Photomatix. I've never been able to find settings that give me colors I like. Would you be willing to share your settings for this picture?
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Skippy: This is one of the few (if only) aircraft that had any sort of rope up around it on this carrier. Everything else you could walk right up to, grab wings, get right next to the gear and some of the helicopters you could get in and check out. Unfortunately, we had gotten there a little late that day and my boys wanted to see as much as possible so we kind of glossed over some stuff. I'll be making a trip back for sure, soon, with a couple of buddies to shoot more pics.

Jack'll do: You should have seen that neighboring boat before I "fixed" it! It's actually another gray naval ship. The whole opening was a blown out glare and I had to take my darkest RAW, darkened it more in lightroom, layered it underneath in PS, and brushed through a mask to bring it up. Then later, I selected the gray and darkened a little more by adjusting the levels a little darker.

I think that it is a lot closer to what I actually saw since that elevator door faces east and the sun to the west, in the late afternoon when it was taken, was low and reflecting off of the ship into the hangar deck.

Maybe I'm over analyzing.... rolleyes1.gif

hawkeye978: I'll check when I get home and see if I saved the settings on this one. Most of the time I don't because every picture is so much different, but it's something that I'll start doing because it's as easy as checking a box on the save file dialog and doesn't waste any space.

Processing the photo in Photomatix and tone mapping really is only the start of it for some images. I'll admit that for this image there was a lot of layered exposure blending and other Photoshop manipulation after doing Photomatix to get the results that I wanted.

Thank you all for your comments!

-joe
    Joe Ercoli
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Beautiful HDR rendition. I noticed in your blog that you are using Photomatix. I've never been able to find settings that give me colors I like. Would you be willing to share your settings for this picture?

Ok... I went through my files here at home and I found an .xmp file from processing this image. But, I think I remember processing it a couple of times and I only saved it once. I ran the RAWs through Photomatix again and threw this .xmp at it and it was pretty darn close, but not exactly what gave me this result. It would get you into the ball park with my originals.

Every image is going to be different and these settings probably won't work with anything else that you shoot. But, shoot me a PM and I'll email you a project care package... :D

-joe
    Joe Ercoli
    My Smugmug Gallery