Kayaker

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited March 5, 2009 in Sports
475115101_f5vJ8-XL.jpg
Tim

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    At first glance, I didn't too think much of the picture. However, I could see this being in a magazine as a two page spread introducing an article on kayaking or the river the picture was taken. Maybe add a little more contrast to the water in curves so it doesn't look as muddy and punch up saturation a bit to make the kayaker pop thumb.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Yup. I think too much water. A bad habit I have in surf shots.

But I gotta say; I've seen your sports shots and they are excellent. But from a technical point of view it seems you are using landscape shooters disciplines. A slow exposure for silky water and sharp rocks and blurred kayacker.

I used to run class 5 rapids and I (personally) hate silky water. It takes the drama and violence of the water away. Using your moto skills, tight crops, stopping the water and showing the personal best of the kayacker would make a much better image

my .02
    Rags
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Yup. I think too much water. A bad habit I have in surf shots.

But I gotta say; I've seen your sports shots and they are excellent. But from a technical point of view it seems you are using landscape shooters disciplines. A slow exposure for silky water and sharp rocks and blurred kayacker.

I used to run class 5 rapids and I (personally) hate silky water. It takes the drama and violence of the water away. Using your moto skills, tight crops, stopping the water and showing the personal best of the kayacker would make a much better image

my .02

There's a good reason for the landscape discipline--I was shooting landscape shots! :D The kayaker happened to drift nearby so I quickly reframed and grabbed a few shots.
    Tim
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    There's a good reason for the landscape discipline--I was shooting landscape shots! :D The kayaker happened to drift nearby so I quickly reframed and grabbed a few shots.

That's how I took it too. For a sports shot, it really doesn't qualify, but it sets the scene very well. I am sure you could capture the intensity of whitewater kayaking, but this looks like a happy accident.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Doesn't qualify? lol3.gif
    Tim
  • oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Nice happy accidenteek7.gif I like the surreal quality
    only nit is the trees in lower right are distracting perhaps a different crop
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    I really like this. Composition and good lines draw your eye to the Kayaker, shutter speed and tone give a certain peaceful (solitary) excitement. Probably more art than sports photo.