It breaks a lot of rules

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited February 21, 2009 in People
but, I dunno, for some reason I still like how it turned out. Maybe I'm biased

476508841_8RcjB-M.jpg
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    i do like...
    biased eh?..well maybe not..I do like the picture.. if you cropped it even closer on the right and extended the black on the left it would look like a CD cover...although i do find myself wishing his other arm wasn't even in the picture so we could see more of his instrument..but that may only be because I really like how the light looks on it..

all in all.. i still like how it turned out too.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I like it too, quite an enigmatic picture :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    lol that he is me...i had to take a self portrait for the bio. thanks for the positive comments though!
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    what rules? it looks like great capture to me. really nice dramatic lighting anthumb.gif d posing
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Absolutely love it. Great publicity shot! (do I detect another photographing musician on the forum - wheee! Safety in numbers!! :D:D:D)

My only nit is the missing left fingers, but I think the eyes make up for it. You could try cropping it out, however, and see how that works (You know they'll crop it for a program anyway, so you may as well!)
    Dionysus wrote:

476508841_8RcjB-M.jpg
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 19, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    but, I dunno, for some reason I still like how it turned out.

because it's good! thumb.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I like it too. If it were mine though, I think I'd bring out a little more detail in the left side (as viewed) of the instrument. The data is there. You can see it. As far as the crop, I think I'd give the image to any publication uncropped. As has already been noted, they'll crop it anyway. For my own preference though, I think I'd crop it up to the bridge, and lose the cut-off fingers of your left hand.

Again, a very nice image.thumb.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 19, 2009
    by broken rules I just meant that ideally, if i could do this shot again, I wouldn't have cut off the scroll of my cello, nor would I have my left side all the way to the right to the point of being cut off, and my left fingers wouldnt be cut off.

But I like it because my eyes came out really well, and the cut off hand seems to balance out with the cut off scroll. and i really love how the lighting came out, especially on the cello.

I was going mad last night trying to capture the right photo for the bio. I must have shot a hundred photos, just to get this one i liked. The rest were compositionally superior, but this one I loved above all due to the character, and the slight hint of mischief in my eyes, which is who I am.

Thanks all for the positive comments. It's always hard sharing a photo like this one, because I feel like I did everything wrong in it, but it still came out as a personal favorite.

Thanks again!

PS-Laughing.gif everything I am is Music, Martial Arts, and now, Photography. On the music side I started with guitar when I was really young, piano, found the cello in my early 20's (now it is what i consider MY instrument: the instrument i was meant to play). I also play the violin, and have dabbled w/ sax and clarinet, but I found that I am a strings guy all the way.
    -=Ren B.=-

• Andrew GouldAndrew Gould Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I like it. Who cares about the rules... Excellent capture of the tonal range in this strong image.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    Dionysus wrote:
    because it's good! thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif - Very good capture. Divamum has what I think is a good idea - cropping from the bottom. But, only a little - maybe across the knuckles.

The tonal range in this B&W is just so spot-on, and the eyes .... WOW. I think you nailed it!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Very nice, I agree with others loose your left hand. The scroll doesn't bother me. It will look great on a CD cover. Yo Yo move over!!
    edited February 21, 2009
    so what's the consensus? crop it where, at the bridge? right above the knuckles?
    -=Ren B.=-