cracked cover on focus indicator

kozmickozmic Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited February 19, 2009 in Cameras
Hi Guys! I have a Nikkor 60mm 2.8g micro lens (FYI, a great lens)It took a "small tumble" (ugh!). The lens is fine but the small clear lexan (?) "lens" which covers the focus indicator has cracked. It's the typical cover found on many lens. I fear that moisture can now get into lens. Also, I can't live with it in it's current condition!!!
It really doesn't seem too hard to replace. I wouldn't call it major surgery by any stretch! I could certainly part with it for a while to have it repaired by Nikon (or a local shop?) Just wondering if anyone has had this repair done b4.
I emailed Nikon and never heard back. I guess I should call Long Island and get their advice but, I'd like another opinion 1st. This is a USA lens recently bought thru a local Nikon dealer.
Thanks so much! Rick

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 19, 2009
    kozmic wrote:
    Hi Guys! I have a Nikkor 60mm 2.8g micro lens (FYI, a great lens)It took a "small tumble" (ugh!). The lens is fine but the small clear lexan (?) "lens" which covers the focus indicator has cracked. It's the typical cover found on many lens. I fear that moisture can now get into lens. Also, I can't live with it in it's current condition!!!
    It really doesn't seem too hard to replace. I wouldn't call it major surgery by any stretch! I could certainly part with it for a while to have it repaired by Nikon (or a local shop?) Just wondering if anyone has had this repair done b4.
    I emailed Nikon and never heard back. I guess I should call Long Island and get their advice but, I'd like another opinion 1st. This is a USA lens recently bought thru a local Nikon dealer.
    Thanks so much! Rick

Rick, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Contact Nikon repair again until you get a response. I do think they have to dismantle the lens so it may be significant to repair, but less than a new lens.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Service-Information.page
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums