AEB question on Canon 30D

scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited February 20, 2009 in Cameras
I'm not sure exactly how bracketing works on the 30D.

Let's say I have it enabled and I rattle off three shots. I should have three different exposures.

Now, what if I shoot two, then wait a while and shoot a few more.

Does the camera pick up where it left off, that being the third of the three, or start over with the first of the three different exposures.

I hope I'm making sense.

S.C.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 19, 2009
    Scott,

What happens when you try it?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 19, 2009
    It picks up where you left off, which can drive you nuts sometimes. And it will do so, until you either turn off AEB, or shut the camera off. At least, that's been my observation.

I've gotten used to looking carefully at the EV setting in the viewfinder. It will actually flash an extra bar on the setting it's about to shoot when you press the shutter halfway. So you can always tell if you're about to shoot a bracketed shot, and which one in the sequence it is. Very helpful for absent-minded folks like myself. rolleyes1.gif

EDIT: Actually, it turns out my 20D doesn't indicate which sequence it's on. It's my 40D that has this feature. So I don't know if your 30D does that or not. ne_nau.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 19, 2009
    When I turn AEB on, I always make sure I turn on high speed frame rate drive as well, so all three frames are ripped off rapidly. It helps keep me from shooting a frame under or over exposed, since I always shoot three frames with the high speed frame enabled.

This usually works for mene_nau.gif

Thanks for your insights this week, Joel!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Scott,

What happens when you try it?

I've only played with it once, and only then did I notice that there may be some pattern, hence this post.

One thing that I need to work on, is ripping off three shots, not two, not four.

I'll have to play with it more and take notes.

S.C.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 20, 2009

I'll have to play with it more and take notes.

S.C.

That's what I was hinting at. It's not dificult and I have confidence that you'll rapidly catch on and learn the capabilities much better than us telling you. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums