Options

Giclee Watercolor Prints from Bay Photo

Gary MillerGary Miller Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited February 20, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I would like to order my Giclee Watercolor Prints in a size larger than the actual image size (ie. a 20x30 image centered on 24x36 paper).

Is there a way to indicate this to Bay Photo, or am I just wishing for something that the current system doesn't allow?

Thanks.

- Gary

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Sure, but just do it yourself in photoshop - center the image on a 24x36 canvas. Cool?
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2009
    Thanks Andy. I am using Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 and it has the "Increase Canvas Size" feature (not sure why I didn't think of that).

On this same topic, let me run something else by you. I am shooting a 40D which [as I'm sure you know] produces a 3888x2592 (10.1 mpix) file - which is a 1.5:1 ratio. Actually the file is slightly larger, I have no idea why. When I open the image in PSPX2, and click on the "Increase Canvas Size" feature, it shows the image size @ 8" x 12". I increase the canvas to 12" x 18" which, if I were to actually print a 12x18 print would give me a 2" border on the 12" sides and a 3" border on the 18" sides. This would work out fine if I wanted a 12x18, but won't the border dimensions increase if I go to a 24" x 36" print?

I want to print Giclees on Watercolor Paper and create a deckled edge on the finished prints. I'm thinking a 1" border will work on 20x30 (trimmed from a 24x36), 16x24 (trimmed from a 20x30), and 12x18 (trimmed from a 16x24).

If my thinking is right and I leave the image file @ 12x18, the borders will increase proportionately when I print @ 24x36.

Thoughts?

- Gary
    Andy wrote:
    Sure, but just do it yourself in photoshop - center the image on a 24x36 canvas. Cool?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Hi Gary

For more control over borders etc., try this:

Create a new canvas with the exact dimensions that you want. (IIRC, File>new> will bring you to a screen where you can specify size and resolution, and color - even transparent should be an option).

Take the photo that you would like to use, crop it to the aspect ratio that you want.

Copy the image and paste it onto your new canvas.

ann

Thanks Andy. I am using Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 and it has the "Increase Canvas Size" feature (not sure why I didn't think of that).

On this same topic, let me run something else by you. I am shooting a 40D which [as I'm sure you know] produces a 3888x2592 (10.1 mpix) file - which is a 1.5:1 ratio. Actually the file is slightly larger, I have no idea why. When I open the image in PSPX2, and click on the "Increase Canvas Size" feature, it shows the image size @ 8" x 12". I increase the canvas to 12" x 18" which, if I were to actually print a 12x18 print would give me a 2" border on the 12" sides and a 3" border on the 18" sides. This would work out fine if I wanted a 12x18, but won't the border dimensions increase if I go to a 24" x 36" print?

I want to print Giclees on Watercolor Paper and create a deckled edge on the finished prints. I'm thinking a 1" border will work on 20x30 (trimmed from a 24x36), 16x24 (trimmed from a 20x30), and 12x18 (trimmed from a 16x24).

If my thinking is right and I leave the image file @ 12x18, the borders will increase proportionately when I print @ 24x36.

Thoughts?

- Gary
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2009
    Hi Ann. Thanks for your reply.

So if I want a 24x36 print from Bay, I simply create a 24x36 canvas with the resolution I want? Will the canvas actually be 24,000 pixels by 36,000 pixels?

As you can tell, I'm still trying to figure all of this out. :D

- Gary
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Gary

For more control over borders etc., try this:

Create a new canvas with the exact dimensions that you want. (IIRC, File>new> will bring you to a screen where you can specify size and resolution, and color - even transparent should be an option).

Take the photo that you would like to use, crop it to the aspect ratio that you want.

Copy the image and paste it onto your new canvas.

ann
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I find it easier to increase the canvas size with the photo centered. Then use
    the crop tool set to the exact ratio, center over photo and expand it till you
    have the border and size you want. Then double click to crop.

It's the ratio not the size that used for printing. As long as there are enough pixels
    at the correct ratio it will fit the print size.

You also do not lose the exif data that a new canvas would do pasting the photo on to it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2009
    Thanks for the input Allen.

Ya know, now that I am thinking about it, to get the same "feel" in 24x36 as in 16x24 I would probably be better off to increase the border size as the prints get larger.

Working strictly off ration (1.5:1), an 8x12 (trimmed down from a 12x18) would have the same relatively sized border as a 20x30 (trimmed down from a 24x36).

Am I thinking correctly?

- g~
    Allen wrote:
    I find it easier to increase the canvas size with the photo centered. Then use
    the crop tool set to the exact ratio, center over photo and expand it till you
    have the border and size you want. Then double click to crop.

It's the ratio not the size that used for printing. As long as there are enough pixels
    at the correct ratio it will fit the print size.

You also do not lose the exif data that a new canvas would do pasting the photo on to it.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    So if I want a 24x36 print from Bay, I simply create a 24x36 canvas with the resolution I want? Will the canvas actually be 24,000 pixels by 36,000 pixels?

Hi Gary

If you want a 24x36 inch final canvas for example, then when you open the NEW canvas, you can specify
    whether that canvas is measured in pixels or inches, and if inches you can specify resolution (dpi).
    So in this example, input: width 36", height 24", 300dpi. This should generate a pretty big file!

Now, paste your full sized image onto your new canvas. You should be able to toggle on some grid lines to help you ensure it is centered. You should also be able to resize the image, maintaining the aspect ratio, until it sits where you want it to - border equidistant on all sides if you want, etc.

You can save as a .psp (I think that is PSPs equivalent to a psd) and at a later date you will be able to edit if you decide to.

When it looks the way you want it to, you will need to merge the layers in order to save as a .jpg for printing.

PSP specifically:
    I haven't used PSP for quite a while, but do recall the change canvas tool allows you to select where the photo sits on your canvas. You can center it, IIRC. You may actually be able to specify adding x inches to width and y inches to depth.

If the new file that you are creating is the right aspect ratio (2:3) and full sized (full resolution) you should be able to make any sized print smaller than your original, of the same aspect ratio, without changing your file again. A file that will print as a 20x30 will print as a 8x12, and the border will be proportionate in each case.

I am not sure that answers the question you are asking here:
    Thanks for the input Allen.

Ya know, now that I am thinking about it, to get the same "feel" in 24x36 as in 16x24 I would probably be better off to increase the border size as the prints get larger.

- g~

I am thinking that is an esthetics question i.e should a larger print have a larger border so it is balanced -> and that is a question of personal taste.

I hope I am being helpful - let me know if this just causes you more questions.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2009
    Hi again, Ann.

Yes, your input is VERY helpful! I certainly appreciate you [and Allen] taking time to advise me.

I like the idea of making one "Master" and it fitting all the sizes I will be printing (24x36 and down).

As far as the border in proportion to the image size, I am a stickler for continuity (is that another way to say, 'anal retentive'?), so I think I would go nuts if my 20x30 print borders were out of proportion to the same image in 12x18. Just another one of those things that makes me lay awake at night trying to figure this [totally essential] stuff out. mwink.gif

I am curious if taking a 10 mpix (3888x2592) image and increasing the size of the canvas would give me the same result as creating a huge canvas (24x36) and adding the image to it in full size. headscratch.gif

I guess at some point I will just have to bite the bullet and order one to see.

Thanks again for your reply.

- Gary
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Gary

If you want a 24x36 inch final canvas for example, then when you open the NEW canvas, you can specify
    whether that canvas is measured in pixels or inches, and if inches you can specify resolution (dpi).
    So in this example, input: width 36", height 24", 300dpi. This should generate a pretty big file!

Now, paste your full sized image onto your new canvas. You should be able to toggle on some grid lines to help you ensure it is centered. You should also be able to resize the image, maintaining the aspect ratio, until it sits where you want it to - border equidistant on all sides if you want, etc.

You can save as a .psp (I think that is PSPs equivalent to a psd) and at a later date you will be able to edit if you decide to.

When it looks the way you want it to, you will need to merge the layers in order to save as a .jpg for printing.

PSP specifically:
    I haven't used PSP for quite a while, but do recall the change canvas tool allows you to select where the photo sits on your canvas. You can center it, IIRC. You may actually be able to specify adding x inches to width and y inches to depth.

If the new file that you are creating is the right aspect ratio (2:3) and full sized (full resolution) you should be able to make any sized print smaller than your original, of the same aspect ratio, without changing your file again. A file that will print as a 20x30 will print as a 8x12, and the border will be proportionate in each case.

I am not sure that answers the question you are asking here:

I am thinking that is an esthetics question i.e should a larger print have a larger border so it is balanced -> and that is a question of personal taste.

I hope I am being helpful - let me know if this just causes you more questions.

ann