Maine Winter Scenes

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in Landscapes
I will be posting more when I get home to my regular PP tools. I have just 2 days left on my Maine visit--my brother promised to take me out shooting some more the next 2 days while he is off work.

Looking for some C&C on these.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. I've seen a lot of these frozen streams!
476911907_hoT7E-L-1.jpg

#2 - Not sure what it is, but I really like this one. What do you think?
476920491_NZA7V-L.jpg

#3 - My goal for this trip was to get a "great" tree shot--how does this one rate? Does the B&W work? Please give me some tough feedback. It was harder than I thought to find a good view for this type of image.
476908762_B8kXd-L-1.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I Absolutely love the black and white. Very nice contrast, nice composition, you name it! What's your method for turning it B&W? Are you doing it in camera?
    The second picture reminds me of skiing in the east. Alot of grass to jump over! It is also very blue in color to me.
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Where in Maine are you?
  • leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I like the black and white also. The composition and exposure is perfect. It would be neat to take several images over the seasons of this scene in color, too.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Thanks, all. I did the B&W with a demo version of CaptureNX. I had to download something to be able to work with my RAW files! I'm glad you think it turned out. It would be nice to see in all seasons--guess I will have to come back in summer, fall and spring! :D

I'm just visiting from TX. My brother lives in Richmond, just north of Brunswick. The shot of the field was taken at Portland Head Light. The other two were off one of the hundreds of country roads just a few miles from Richmond--hopefully, I can find the spots again next visit!

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I like the 1st one with the frozen stream and snow and the warm light highlighting the natural tones in the trees.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The second one doesn't do much for me, but it does look properly exposed.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I like the 3rd one also. Nice B&W conversion. I am always attracted to this type of image where the trees have the contrasting light and shadows, but have never captured it exactly as I wanted. My personal thoughts would be to reduce the DOF so that the tree trunks and branches in the first 2/3rds of the image were the focus and let the last third fade to a blur.<o:p></o:p>

Just one mans thoughts. The beauty of photography is that we can all display our own views of the way we see the world.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Lauren,

Very nice photos. I think your first has the best overall quality. Good composition good exposure. Shooting winter scenes can be very hard due to light reflecting off snow, dead trees with no color, and heck its cold outside!

The 3rd photo in this group does have a good B&W conversion but the overall image is not working for me. It seems to crowded with no focal point or leading lines to draw me in. I get distracted and and want to move on. I have seen shots like this before and the ones that work seem to have more symetery in the trees and have some foreground leading lines such as shadows from the tree leading you into the thicket.
    Can't wait to see more!
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
    edited February 20, 2009
    Thanks, roaddog--excellent points. Wish i'd read this before I went out today!

Jason - Thanks for your comments. You are a constant source of encouragement for me! I knew what I wanted for the tree shot, pretty much what you and roaddog have described. But I'm still happy with this one--and that counts the most, right?!:D

Will have some more coming soon. Just spent several hours out shooting in the snow with my brother. Hope my wild turkey in flight turned out!!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    But I'm still happy with this one--and that counts the most, right?!:D

Exactly!
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • lispottlispott Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I love the black and white trees. Very sharp and cold. You caught the feel. Great Job. lisa
    Create an image, leave a legacy!

:ps
    edited February 24, 2009
    Thanks, Lisa. It was indeed cold that day!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    #3 is very nice Lauren thumb.gif