Anyone else done something stupid shooting sports??

David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
edited February 26, 2009 in Sports
Tonight I was shooting Lax at a local HS here in Orlando. The school is notorious for very bad lights on their football field and I brought my ExpoDisc. During the half I wanted to set custom WB to see if it would matter with this field. The lights are old, several are burned out and you can see cycling instantly with five pictures. I generally do this at the half to see if it makes a big difference, so when the half came I trotted out to the mid range portion of the field. Just me out there on the field and my camera and the 50 or so folks in the stands. The expodisc would not work, my camera balked at me using it wouldn't take the picture to save my life on full auto.. Couldn't figure it out, I let it go and hoped noone would say a thing, they didn't because they know I am playing around with my camera to get the best settings. I have had my expodisc about 2 months used it 3 or 4 times but not this month.. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?? Yeah I forgot to set my lense to manual focus, I figured it out when I came home went to their site and watched a video. First words, set your lense to manual focus.... Oh well.. I was out there for a good five minutes pointing my camera into the stadium lights looking like a fool... How bad has anyone else forgotten something basic??

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I was at a track meet and events were happening all over the place. I was walking over to one event and almost got ran over by a long jumper as I happened to walk across the runway.rolleyes1.gif
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I was shooting a basketball game. I was switching between the body with the 70-200mm and the one with the 85mm (which was on the floor just beside me).

I didn't get a firm grip on the body as I picked it up off of the floor and consequently dropped it from about 2 or 3 inches. eek7.gif They call basketball courts "hardwood" for a reason.

To make a long story short, the camera was dead. I pulled the lens off and put it back on, pulled the battery and reinserted it, reinstalled the CF card - nothing worked.

That is until the next morning when I calmly re-did all of those steps again and the camera was fine. Phew! thumb.gif

I now put the "lock of death" on my cameras when I'm switching between bodies; as I'll be doing tonight at the Regional Basketball Playoffs!

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Years ago...., after shooting an event for my High School yearbook, I went to the darkroom to process my film.....only to discover there wasn't any film in the camera. rolleyes1.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I had a time when I used my ExpoDisc and set the WB with the maual mode etc and I forgot to cahnge from manual. The pictures turned out pretty good for the 30 minutes that I was still in manual.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I was shooting a lacrosse game last year. I was trying out a monopod for the first time. Mind you I'm in the same class as a lot of the kids on the team (High School) and many are good friends of mine. I had my 70-300 on full 300. I turn to say hi to a friend and turn back to shoot without looking at the game and only looking into my viewfinder. The play was previously on the other side of the field and it took my about .5 seconds to realize my lens wouldnt focus quickly because the action was running stright for me. I look out from my viewfinder to see the ball lying about a foot from me on the sideline and 2 kids (one from each team...then one from my team happened to be one of my best friends) running for it. Natural reaction is to bring your camera up to your shoulder and backpetal as fast as possible. but WAIT! i forgot i had a 6 foot tripod on the bottom of my camera! i lift up the camera to my shoulder and out flies the stand only to catch my best freind right between the legs! I expected to hear the sound of plastic and lightweight metal hitting (i assumed he had a cup on) but no cigar. Game stops for 5 mins while he recovers and I get razzed for it for a week.

I guess thats what High School's all about
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Okay who has done this on Field turf?? With all of the multiple lines/sports and every sport having different color lines etc. Tonight after a timeout I setup about 2 yards behind the Lax goal on the sidelines using the football field lines on the sidelines. I was hoping noone noticed... The folks on the field didn't, not asking the stands...:uhoh
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    soccer on a football turf
    We just got a new Football Stadium at my school.

I was shooting soccer for the first time out there and was standing on the field because i was using the Football lines and not the Soccer ones which are wider. People from the stands were calling me on my cell to tell me I was standing in the game. The Ref was blowing his whistle but I didn't know what he wanted.

haha
    :lurk
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • SoonerShawnSoonerShawn Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Shooting a J.H. basketball game a couple of weeks ago, and was standing on the end of the court, just to the side of the goal. The ball was on the other end of the court, and the half was about to expire, so I was looking back through the sequence I had just shot from my end of the court, when all of the sudden WHOP!!! The ball hits the wall less than 6" from my head. A kid throws it the length of the floor, and nearly takes my head off. Everyone in the gym found that pretty funny...probably because of the look on my face.

:eek1