Riverfront Candy . . . . . . IR

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in Landscapes
I have posted a number of shots similar to this of the St. Louis Arch. But I found this one unprocessed in a batch of images I captured this past fall. I processed it differently. This was captured with an IR-converted Nikon D70s with a 10.5mm Nikon fisheye lens. If it's worth the time, I may try to bring out the sun's rays a bit more in the upper left corner of the image.

477179287_JuGgC-L.jpg
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Nice. I love this point of view, those clouds and the reflection. The blues and golds really work well together.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    new perspective on the usual is alway what i try to do toooo.
    good work there, i always like the fisheye effect...
    Aaron Nelson
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I like it -- the colors, reflection, clouds, lens distortion.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Really nice Jeff. I don't know how you could improve upon what you have done.

Is it me or is the left side more parabolic than the right?

Rags
    Rags
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Really nice Jeff. I don't know how you could improve upon what you have done.

Is it me or is the left side more parabolic than the right?

Rags

Thanks. I'm not sure that the distortion is any different. It may just be that the shoreline is closer on the left.
    Jeff Meyers
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Terrific image, Jeff. I wouldn't mess with the sun rays. Looks great as is!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Love those popcorn clouds! You're really working that IR thing.

The one nit I have is the reflection on the bottom is noticeably darker than the sky above.

Also might be interesting to flip the photo upside down with the reflection on top (after evening out the brightness). Might look like crap, might look interesting.
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Very nice, I really like the comp on this.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Great perspective on this Jeff! I love it! As Ron said can you get anymore light from the water?
    edited February 24, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Great perspective on this Jeff! I love it! As Ron said can you get anymore light from the water?

Interesting point about the relative darkness of the water. I guess I'm just used to this pond having dark water. Also, behind and above me are a line of trees that block the light and darken the pond even more. But whatever the reality on the ground might have been I think you guys are right about the need to lighten the water. Thanks!

I'm just curious. Here's my other favorite shot of this scene. Do you think the water is too dark in this one, too?

358504361_tqjnt-L-1.jpg
    Jeff Meyers
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    It could use some local adjustments right at the bottom so its not an abrupt change in light. It makes more sense with the tree there so you know its a shadow, but its still distracting. Have you thought about just cropping the bottom out, since your already in a wider aspect ration to begin with. Its a nice image though, nit picking aside. I bet if you go there with the sun rays coming through the tree in the upper right it would be sweet, and solve your shadow issue. Although that might not be IR friendly.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    You are really becoming quite the IR guy. Nice work Jeff. thumb.gif
  • AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I'm probably not even remotely qualified to comment on a photo as good as this but I couldn't get past the darkness in the corners, well actually the overwhelming darkness on the entire bottom of the image.

Have you tried playing different crops? I know the symmetry of an even horizon is big in an image like this but I kept seeing something like this in my mind

_.jpg

Sorry if its inappropriate to repost your image.

Overall in my opinion it is fantastic and I stared at it for about 10 minutes.
    Love this place, but I am an ADV rider too!
    F800GS
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Interesting point about the relative darkness of the water. I guess I'm just used to this pond having dark water. Also, behind and above me are a line of trees that block the light and darken the pond even more. But whatever the reality on the ground might have been I think you guys are right about the need to lighten the water. Thanks!

I'm just curious. Here's my other favorite shot of this scene. Do you think the water is too dark in this one, too?

I think this one is better.

And yeah, I'm not disputing that the pool actually was darker - often reflections of the sky are - just that it might look better if was brightened up a little. Usually I'll use a 3-stop or 5-stop (3 stop + 2 stop) GND filter when there's a big difference like this, but if you didn't blow out the sky (and you didn't) you can get the same effect in post, though you might get a little more noise that way in the dark areas when you increase their brightness.

Anyway, this is a great spot, if I was in St. Louis I'd definitely make a point to visit this location.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    358504361_tqjnt-L-1.jpg

This is a beautiful image of the archthumb.gif

reflections are always better in shadows and therefore darker than the sky. This image appears to be more balanced but also appears to be too bright in the highlights. I like the high key effect so am only referring to the highlights. Great compositionclap.gif
    edited February 25, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    It could use some local adjustments right at the bottom so its not an abrupt change in light. It makes more sense with the tree there so you know its a shadow, but its still distracting. Have you thought about just cropping the bottom out, since your already in a wider aspect ration to begin with. Its a nice image though, nit picking aside. I bet if you go there with the sun rays coming through the tree in the upper right it would be sweet, and solve your shadow issue. Although that might not be IR friendly.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
    Jeff Meyers
    edited February 25, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I think this one is better.

And yeah, I'm not disputing that the pool actually was darker - often reflections of the sky are - just that it might look better if was brightened up a little. Usually I'll use a 3-stop or 5-stop (3 stop + 2 stop) GND filter when there's a big difference like this, but if you didn't blow out the sky (and you didn't) you can get the same effect in post, though you might get a little more noise that way in the dark areas when you increase their brightness.

Anyway, this is a great spot, if I was in St. Louis I'd definitely make a point to visit this location.

Thanks, Ron. I appreciate the great advice.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited February 25, 2009
    This is a beautiful image of the archthumb.gif

reflections are always better in shadows and therefore darker than the sky. This image appears to be more balanced but also appears to be too bright in the highlights. I like the high key effect so am only referring to the highlights. Great compositionclap.gif

Thank you for commenting, Marc. The highlights in these IR shots are always tricky, especially with a bright sun. But I believe you are right.

I need to take a little time and rework these two images taking into account everything everyone has suggested.

I appreciate the time you all took to comment. It was all very helpful. iloveyou.gif
    Jeff Meyers