Thanks for looking!

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Neil,

Great shot! HDR? Very stunning colors. The only thing I would change would be to Photoshop out the tree on the right-hand side.

Thanks for sharing!
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    theNOIZ wrote:
    Neil,

Great shot! HDR? Very stunning colors. The only thing I would change would be to Photoshop out the tree on the right-hand side.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot for your comments, Shaun!

No, it's not HDR, just a bit of post including getting exposure optimal, and some filters.

Losing the trees would feel like losing my right hand just now :D, I think I really like them, but I'll keep your comment in mind when I'm looking at the pic again.

Neil

edited February 21, 2009
    Any pics of other bridges from around this date. or earlier? Post em ifn you have em!thumb.gif

• ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    you can´t cut the trees imho :) It would be like take a way the wheels of a car!

They probably hav grow there for a long period of time and "belong" to the scenery. If you take a photo of something like this, everything should be in it.

Like it...How did you edit it? maby you can get some more details out of the bricks usin L.A.B colours?
    thumb.gif
    edited February 22, 2009
    Arvan wrote:
    you can´t cut the trees imho :) It would be like take a way the wheels of a car!

They probably hav grow there for a long period of time and "belong" to the scenery. If you take a photo of something like this, everything should be in it.

Like it...How did you edit it? maby you can get some more details out of the bricks usin L.A.B colours?
    thumb.gif

Thanks, Arvan. I'm inclined to agree that the trees should be there.

Well, my workflow is RAW to tif conversion using DPP, in development getting as ideal a histogram as possible , and tone balance, contrast, detail and color right for how I am thinking of interpreting the image, then I use PS plugins to take that interpretation to the degree I want. In the case of this particular image I used Nik's Viveza and, mainly, Color Efex.

Ironically, I found as I was working with this image of stone masonry that has stood for going on 200 years that I had to be very gentle! I did maybe twenty small tweaks, first in development and then with the plugins. The LAB method sure can make an image eye grabbing, but I think maybe it would be too harsh for this image. I'm not sure the soft golden glow of the water and weeds, and the stones in the bridge, with all their many and delicate hues, would survive LAB.

But maybe you could show me an image which proves me wrong? Go for it! thumb.gif

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I like this shot and the processing there of.......but I have to agree that the bare trees on the right look like they are growing out of the bridge and it distracts from it.......actually the trees from their shape and size look like they are after growth from a tree previously cut down and these sprouts just took over..........
    One other little nit I have is the bridges seems to come from no where and go no where.......I would think a bit of road on either end could make a big difference in how we perceive this photo............

Remember.....this is just my 'umble opinion and likes other things we all have......we all have different opins also........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 22, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I like this shot and the processing there of.......but I have to agree that the bare trees on the right look like they are growing out of the bridge and it distracts from it.......actually the trees from their shape and size look like they are after growth from a tree previously cut down and these sprouts just took over..........
    One other little nit I have is the bridges seems to come from no where and go no where.......I would think a bit of road on either end could make a big difference in how we perceive this photo............

Remember.....this is just my 'umble opinion and likes other things we all have......we all have different opins also........................

Yep, Art, your opinion is very welcome!thumb.gif

About the trees, they are poplars, which grow very tall. These are fully mature trees and are possibly eighty feet tall, they are in fact some distance back from the bridge, on the far side of the road. It being winter, they have lost their leaves.

This is about 3/4 of the bridge, maybe 200 feet. To get both some road and these arches with this amount of color and detail, without the distortions of telephoto might have been difficult. Not to mention the angle the light is pouring through. But maybe you disagree?