Where the road leads (AKA The Dam Road )

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited February 21, 2009 in Landscapes
I am new to the forums and trying to jump in with both feet to learn all I can.
This road literally is the dam road, running behind the spillway to the Denison Dam that takes water from Lake Texoma into the Red River. I got this shot one morning when it was foggy and I headed for the lake to see if there was anything worth shooting. My car was parked next to a No Parking sign to get this. The way the road leads off into the fog is what I love. I am bothered some by the fence though...
Anyone care to tell me what they think?
477048672_icJk5-L-1.jpg

Comments

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Color is nice, mood is nice, geometry is nice....the fence is a blot.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    I have to agree--the fence is distracting. But the lines and the mood are great. Regardless, welcome to DGrin! Let's see some more work soon! :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Composition is pretty well done. Maybe a slightly shorter crop removing some of the dead space on top. Colors and mood are nice as previously mentioned. The fence would be OK if it was a more photogenic construction like split rails, white painted wood, etc. The other thing that bothers me is that there is too much clutter in general. You could probably clone much of it away but you'd still have the fence ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    I would have grabbed this shot knowing the fence was a distraction....then zoomed (in vehicle....not zoomed the lens) to the end of the fence and shot the curve and up the hill into the fod and then zoomed again to the top of the hill in the fog and shot back towards the fence.....but not including the fence.

Over all a cool shot of the road and impending fog.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Thanks everyone.
    I do tend to see things after the fact (like at home) when I get excited about a shot. That is a bad time for me to realize I should have done this or that. Honestly it never even crossed my mind to get to the end of the fence. That would have been simple. I was just so focused on the fog covering the Oklahoma side and the road that I saw nothing else. I'm working on that though.
    I have a quite a few landscapes so I will be back.
    Thanks for making me feel welcome!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Landscape Photography is a Dam hard road... we all are learning daily, keep doing and doing.

as for this image: it is what it is... there is nothing wrong with the image, yes there are many things you could have done differently, but thats for you to decide...

anyway, my humble opinion says the only thing i would do with this image is add a gradent mask, dark to light - bottom to middle to take the eye away up the road instead of starting the eye high and bringing the path down ending with the FG...
    Aaron Nelson