Weekly Assignment #109: Laser Beam

NikolaiNikolai Darth SLRLa LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited February 27, 2009 in Assignments
I was about to post a different theme when this post caught my attention.
So this time we're going to catch a laser beam.
The beam should be parallel to the focal plane or go at an angle
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES point the laser to one's eye or one's camera lens!
Use the vapor/smoke to catch the effect. Use the mirrors/prisms/ to reflect/bend/split the bean to create verious optical effect (try reflecting off a CD:-). Use the laser pointers/power tools as a convenient source of the beams.
Ultimate bonus point: picture of a great white shark with the activated laser device attached to its head :wink
Let's get some laser action!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Beside himself. Outer Los Angeles.Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    The great white shark (even one with a bad attitude) will be easy; it's the laser that might cause some delays. :D
    Lee
    __________________

    My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

    "If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • spb13spb13 Major grins Orlando, FLRegistered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Here is my first crack at this assignment. Overall kind of boring. I didn't have anything handy for making smoke so I used powder. I think smoke might make for something a bit more interesting.

    479607244_DqicS-L.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    Here is my first crack at this assignment. Overall kind of boring. I didn't have anything handy for making smoke so I used powder. I think smoke might make for something a bit more interesting.
    Congrats on being the first one! thumb.gif Nice entry, but I hope for a second installment to be better :-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • catspawcatspaw dgrinner Utah.... wait, what?Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    where's that fog machine from halloween....... hmmmm!
    //Leah
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    where's that fog machine from halloween....... hmmmm!
    Guuuuoood thinking! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • spb13spb13 Major grins Orlando, FLRegistered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    More interesting, but I am not sure if I have a focus issue or if the smoke makes for soft beams. I might give it another round, but I had to stop tonight...my eyes were feeling a little wonky. (just from working in the dark, not from the laser)

    480863658_EPzMJ-L.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    More interesting, but I am not sure if I have a focus issue or if the smoke makes for soft beams. I might give it another round, but I had to stop tonight...my eyes were feeling a little wonky. (just from working in the dark, not from the laser)
    Sean, thant's pretty nifty! thumb.gif
    Care to explain your setup? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • spb13spb13 Major grins Orlando, FLRegistered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sean, thant's pretty nifty! thumb.gif
    Care to explain your setup? mwink.gif

    Let's see...I have a laser pointer just out of the frame camera left. I used a spring clam to hold it in position and another one to hold the trigger down. About a foot to the right there are a couple small boxes covered with black fabric. The CD is sitting on one box and leaning on the other. I needed to get everything up off the table some so the smoke could get under the beams. Speaking of smoke. I used a stick of incense. (The stuff I have was really cheap and it made for quite a bit of smoke I think the "nicer" ones make less smoke.) I ended up just letting the incense burn in front of the beams and lightly fanned the air while the shutter was open. With a "modeling" light on I held a paper in the beam to get focus. Exposure time was hit or miss. It had a lot to do with how much smoke hit the beams. I am not sure how I would do this without a cable release and bulb mode. Oh and the only light in the room was the laser. I think that covers the highlights.

    EXIF:
    Exposure Time 7.3s (73/10)
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO 100
    Focal Length 40mm (60mm 35mm)
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    Let's see...I have a laser pointer just out of the frame camera left. I used a spring clam to hold it in position and another one to hold the trigger down. About a foot to the right there are a couple small boxes covered with black fabric. The CD is sitting on one box and leaning on the other. I needed to get everything up off the table some so the smoke could get under the beams. Speaking of smoke. I used a stick of incense. (The stuff I have was really cheap and it made for quite a bit of smoke I think the "nicer" ones make less smoke.) I ended up just letting the incense burn in front of the beams and lightly fanned the air while the shutter was open. With a "modeling" light on I held a paper in the beam to get focus. Exposure time was hit or miss. It had a lot to do with how much smoke hit the beams. I am not sure how I would do this without a cable release and bulb mode. Oh and the only light in the room was the laser. I think that covers the highlights.

    EXIF:
    Exposure Time 7.3s (73/10)
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO 100
    Focal Length 40mm (60mm 35mm)

    Thank you! By any chance you have a picture of the setup? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • spb13spb13 Major grins Orlando, FLRegistered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! By any chance you have a picture of the setup? mwink.gif

    I moved some stuff around after I was done last night, but this is pretty close to how it was.

    481389914_f9KZQ-L.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    I moved some stuff around after I was done last night, but this is pretty close to how it was.
    Thank you, Sean, appreciate it! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Beside himself. Outer Los Angeles.Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Very well done, Sean! clap.gif

    You do your experimental shots the same way I do. You know, hit and miss. :D It's amazing what results from a little patience. Good job! thumb.gif
    Lee
    __________________

    My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

    "If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • spb13spb13 Major grins Orlando, FLRegistered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Very well done, Sean! clap.gif

    You do your experimental shots the same way I do. You know, hit and miss. :D It's amazing what results from a little patience. Good job! thumb.gif

    I think I do all my shots hit or miss. ;)
  • rnoursernourse Big grins Toronto, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    I suspect this assignment is now closed and I realize that this image violates one of the guidelines about pointing of lasers but when I saw the assignment I couldn't NOT post this image.

    It was my son's birthday and I had the camera out taking some shots with my 50mm 1.4 when a buddy pulled out his laser and started doing a light show for the kids. I was taking shots and he pointed it at the kitchen table under which I was lying... he only did it for 5-10 seconds before realizing it was a very bad idea but in that few seconds I snapped this shot. the boy front and center is my son, the birthday boy. I only wish the IQ was better but the subject matter is great!

    laser.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    rnourse wrote:
    I suspect this assignment is now closed and I realize that this image violates one of the guidelines about pointing of lasers but when I saw the assignment I couldn't NOT post this image.

    It was my son's birthday and I had the camera out taking some shots with my 50mm 1.4 when a buddy pulled out his laser and started doing a light show for the kids. I was taking shots and he pointed it at the kitchen table under which I was lying... he only did it for 5-10 seconds before realizing it was a very bad idea but in that few seconds I snapped this shot. the boy front and center is my son, the birthday boy. I only wish the IQ was better but the subject matter is great!
    Assignments never close, so you're fine :-) deal.gif
    And the rule is primarily for your won safety and the safety of your gear. You ended up with a nice shot anyway:-) thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
Sign In or Register to comment.