Deception Pass, WA State

dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 24, 2009 in Landscapes
Hello all, I'm new here, so if I'm doing something wrong, let me know.

I visited Deception Pass (the bridge to Whidbey Island) this past Monday. Here are a couple shots. Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated, especially with respect to the PP. Thanks!

475389567_AJP6b-L.jpg

475389775_WvRtB-L.jpg

475389923_9Pd6E-L.jpg

475389880_3Vhxo-L.jpg

475390132_KHRie-L.jpg

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Welcome! Very nice series of first shots--you have some excellent compositions working. The color and lighting seem a bit flat to me, but I'm not sure if it's the screen as I'm using someone else's computer. You'll get some excellent feedback from the pros here, so take advantage of it. Looking forward to more of your work.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • IVAN ZEITLINIVAN ZEITLIN Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2009
    IMO the 1<SUP>st</SUP>, 4<SUP>th</SUP>, and 5<SUP>th</SUP> are the best. The 1<SUP>st</SUP> one is a nice framed in photo, very nice. The 4<SUP>th</SUP> is nice golden rule (bottom right corner of the photo) and draws the eye to the middle of the photo. And the 5<SUP>th</SUP> is the same but on the left side. With a little work in PS to turn up the brightness and contrast you have a very nice set here.
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    I live in Oak Harbor so I have some of Deception Pass on my page. I love your shots! Some suggestions on your shots though. I love #4, but there is some glare on the bottom right. #5 is a great shot and I love but to me the crop is a little too tight and makes me want to see what is going on in the sky. Other then that I enjoyed your shots and hope to see more from you!
  • dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Thanks to all for the welcome and the comments!

@redleash: What do you mean by the color and lighting being a bit flat? Is this a matter of more/less saturation, or a contrast thing? I'm a bit of a newbie at the whole PP thing... (using Lightroom 2). I did +10 to +15 on the saturation on most of the shots, do you think I am overdoing it?

@IVAN ZEITLIN: To clarify: are you suggesting that I turn both the brightness and contrast up? Or just to adjust them in general and make things look a bit better?

@Dooginfif20: I'll definitely check out your shots! Neat to meet a local shooter. I see what you mean by the cropping of #5, I'll have to play around with it once Lightroom comes tomorrow (the trial expired last week...). The glare on #4 wasn't noticable as shot, but the pic was a bit dark so I lightened it up, showing the glare. Should a lens hood fix that kind of thing?

Thanks again folks!
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    dustin32 wrote:
    Thanks to all for the welcome and the comments!

@redleash: What do you mean by the color and lighting being a bit flat? Is this a matter of more/less saturation, or a contrast thing? I'm a bit of a newbie at the whole PP thing... (using Lightroom 2). I did +10 to +15 on the saturation on most of the shots, do you think I am overdoing it?

@IVAN ZEITLIN: To clarify: are you suggesting that I turn both the brightness and contrast up? Or just to adjust them in general and make things look a bit better?

@Dooginfif20: I'll definitely check out your shots! Neat to meet a local shooter. I see what you mean by the cropping of #5, I'll have to play around with it once Lightroom comes tomorrow (the trial expired last week...). The glare on #4 wasn't noticable as shot, but the pic was a bit dark so I lightened it up, showing the glare. Should a lens hood fix that kind of thing?

Thanks again folks!

If you arent using a UV filter I would recommend it and the lens hood should help too. The glare you could fix easily with PS!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    It was definitely the computer I was using--when I just looked at your images again on my iMac they look great!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com