Thinking about a prime lens

bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited February 22, 2009 in Cameras
Ok, so I going to Vegas in May for a wedding. I have been there many times and love the sites, however, this year im going with my new baby, my D300 and I am going for a wedding.

It is my wifes best friend that is getting married. The wedding package that they have gives them a bunch of photos, however, I wanted to be able to really take this opportunity to expand my knowledge. and learning curve.

So I already have the 18-200mm VR lens which I will use in the gardens however, I want a lens that will help me during the indoor ceremony. I am currently saving for the 12-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 so I dont really want to spend money on another zoom. I want the prime lens to be able to go with me in the event that I upgrade to a full frame body down the road.

So with all of these demands, I am curious about the nikon nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-S lens. Can the 50mm fullfill my wedding day shoot for indoors? Now my only concern is that the 50mm prime will be like 75mm on my D300 so is this to much, should I be pulling back to the 25mm f2? or going up to the 85mm 1.8???

Any comments, seems like the 17-55mmVR is a great wedding lens, but I just cant fork out the dough with my 3xf2.8 lenses that I will be saving for. I just thought a prime would be only 300 to 500.00 and wont really effect my other lens desires in the future.

Thanks so much for all of the help.

Comments

• cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    My vote goes to 35mm f/2.0 D-AF LENS - awesome lens thumb.gif
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I have a 50mm 1.7 (for my Sony). It's a great lens but it often, on the crop sensor, is just a bit too long. The 35 is probably a much better bet.
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Yeah I agree with many of the previous posters, 50 is a little long. I think a great combo would be to use the 35 f2(or the new 1.8) and the 85 f1.8 to give you a great 2 lens combo that would cover most ranges and be great indoors.
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    I saw the 36 f1.8, but it is not available here in Canada yet for one and 2 it is a DX lens, so if I go up to FF in a few years im out a lens. I really want all my lens to be compatible with FF.

So 35mm f2.0 may be the way to go, I just here so many people say to me that everyone has to have a nifty fifty in thier kit.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    bosco0633 wrote:
    I saw the 36 f1.8, but it is not available here in Canada yet for one and 2 it is a DX lens, so if I go up to FF in a few years im out a lens. I really want all my lens to be compatible with FF.

So 35mm f2.0 may be the way to go, I just here so many people say to me that everyone has to have a nifty fifty in thier kit.

It's true, I love my nifty fifty - but I got it for $50, so it was an impulse purchase. If I were making the decision at retail prices I'd probably want something wider. Still, it sees a lot of use when I'm taking portraits indoors at events and a flash wouldn't be appropriate.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    The Nikkor 20mm F2.8 or the Nikkor 14mm F2.8 are superb.
    Steve

Website